Liverpool/Gerrard/Title

sage

Cities money is underpinned by actual revenue their owners revenue, don't kid yourself into thinking that "the gate receipts" pay for anything any longer.

As for the history, that's just what it is history....you have been listening to too many pundits on Sky....Liverpool haven't won a league title since God was a boy...and long may it continue.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it only me that isn't remotely interested in Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Chelsea? (Arsenal I am only because my son in law is a Gooner (family from London).

I wouldn't say I'm not remotely interested, but I don't care who wins the league. I have absolutely no preference. I will only be bothered one day if a total outsider has a chance, just to break the boring monopoly. Maybe if we go up I will, but only if it directly affects our results towards the end of the season. 

They were not the best team today, city played them off the park for the last hour, until that over-rated, alien headed Kompany kept them in the title race. Only Mourinho can stop them now, if he does he deserves to be crowned king of England.

The thought of Gerrard getting his grubby Scouse hands on that trophy makes me feel nauseous, drug dealing family, cheat who deliberately backpasses to Chelsea to stop Man Utd winning the title, uses his celebrity to get himself of after smashing a DJ. Why neutrals want this horrible scouse creature to win I can't imagine, hardly a saint really.

Scouse showing their vile, horrible colours again bricking the city coaches, not the first time this season. Not that anybody should be surprised.

Overall though, they've been the best team. Going for the jugular in a game that they've literally waited decades for - takes some balls.

I don't like their total ignorance to how good United have been over the last 20 years. Spoke to a real United fan earlier in the week and he said picking between City and Liverpool is a horrible thing to have to do, but on the pitch it has to be Liverpool. Imagine that working the other way round - no chance.

I don't like Gerrard, don't like Dalglish - particularly after the way they handled the Suarez situation.

HATED the vilification of Hodgson when they purport to be a patient, loyal club. A man of his standing in the game deserved a lot more respect than that.

But the current team - I struggle to do anything other than admire it. They're brilliant. The manager too - he could well create a dynasty, as much as I hope it doesn't happen.

You can pin a load of stuff on every club (including ours!) and say you hate us for that reason, Liverpool are no different. But they're the best team.

I'm not saying for a second that they haven't spent a lot of money but at least it's underpinned by actual revenue and built on tradition. Whereas Cit-eh would be fookin nowhere without a bored billionaire spunking his cash all over them...

City are spending a lot of money on the academy, they are building for the future. And they earn a lot of respect from for that. They also aren't just buying loads of players for the sake of it.

Liverpool spent £75 million on Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing and Jordan Henderson!!!! Now that is pure and utter stupidity.

Carroll and Downing accepted, but Henderson's stepping up and proving to be a good player...

Maybe but if he was Italian or Dutch or German etc he would have cost at least a third of what Liverpool had paid for him.

Well all that goes to show how ridiculous our valuation of English talent is. You could also say the same about our very own Will. There must be 20 like him in Barcelona's youth teams but cus he's English and doesn't play like your typical English player someone will eventually pay upwards of £10m for him...

I've been singing this all morning, great song

Dadadadadadadada Luis Suarez,

Dadadadadadadada Luis Suarez.

I just cant get enough, I just cant get enough,

When he scores a volley or when he scores a head,

I just cant get enough, I just cant get enough.

He scores a goal and the kop go wild,

And I just cant seem to,

Get enough,

Suarez!

Dadadadadadadada Luis Suarez,

Dadadadadadadada Luis Suarez...

Well all that goes to show how ridiculous our valuation of English talent is. You could also say the same about our very own Will. There must be 20 like him in Barcelona's youth teams but cus he's English and doesn't play like your typical English player someone will eventually pay upwards of £10m for him...

Or how ridiculous English clubs are with what they are willing to pay for English players. I don't understand why they go for so much money!?!? Also believe it is part of the problem for the national team.

I'm starting to like Liverpool now, mainly because of some of the anti-Scouse drivel that gets branded about.

No doubt Liverpool have more than their fair share of dodgy characters in the stands, but some of the vitriol on the subject is pathetic.

"Liverpool always the victims" "they don't rememeber Heysel" etc etc...as if every single Liverpool fan is equally responsible for what the minority have done, and as a result they have no right to win anything or remember the Hilsborough disaster properly. I accept that minority was a large one, but a minority it was. And years ago.

Sorry, but if you hold those sort of views on Liverpool then you have no right to complain about Forest accusing us of being a sick club for making those Doughty chants a few years back.

Yes there were some cheers when Toure pulled up injured. SOME. It wasn't half as loud as the applause as when he left the field though.

How would Pride Park react if Andy Reid was injured? Do you think no one in the ground would ironically cheer? But equally, would you not expect the crowd to applaud him off? Which would you rather we were remembered for?

I dislike Liverpool for exactly the same reason I dislike Man Utd: both have been the default setting clubs of choice for glory hunting plastic 'fans' for my entire life.

Liverpool irk me the less of the two these days because most of the kids I teach 'support' Man U, but I hated them with a passion when I was at school myself, and that was waaay before Hillsborough.

I was living near Hillsborough at the time it happened, and it's actually the Wednesday fans I feel sorry for these days. Their club has been tarnished to the extent that their ground is now permanently associated with another club's history. Many believe it is a significant factor in Mandaric's difficulty finding a buyer, and they are in limbo without investment.

As for the 'top' clubs winning the league, Arsenal for me, for family reasons, but any change is to be welcomed.

I cant argue with this as I have no idea what your point is... I think you're saying it's ok for Cit-eh to spend millions because their owners sell lots of oil... Of course I don't believe that Liverpool's gate receipts pay for their squad but their commercial revenue is in the top ten in the world due to their history that you deem to be unimportant...

in a simplistic crude sense, but the conflict was inevitabe after the Versailles Treaty and unresolved colonial issues.

America, their stock market caused the great depression that allowed Hitler to come into power and then they traded with him when the League of Nations refused to; taking away any power had over him.

In conclusion, BOO YANKS OUT.

I'm coming down with a serious case of Scousitis here, I found myself humming YNWA this morning.This article from Four Four Two sums it up perfectly

Liverpool are the traditionalist's pick for the English Premier League title, says Neil Humphreys, as the campaign brings to mind the most famous title-decider in Anfield history...

On May 26, 1989, I found myself sitting, cross-legged, on the turf of an east London park with at least two dozen other teenagers. Shoulder to shoulder in a circle, we huddled around a small radio like it was an idol worthy of worship. We had gathered for a kickabout but the scuffed ball was left looking rather forlorn, about 20 yards away, long forgotten.

We had kicked off about the same time as Arsenal at Anfield, where the north Londoners required a 2-0 victory to win the old First Division title on the final night of the season. We had focused more on our own meandering muddling than events up at Liverpool.

And then Alan Smith scored for the Gunners. Arsenal were a goal away from the most romantic ending in English football’s history. Our game was swiftly abandoned. An hour earlier, almost all of us had wanted Liverpool to win; for their attacking panache under Kenny Dalglish; for Barnes and Beardsley; for Hillsborough.

But Michael Thomas, charging through the midfield, did his thing. He scored that decisive second. We rose as one, hugging each other, none of us Arsenal fans, before tearing off around the pitch in celebration. In a rare moment of sporting perfection, Thomas made every boy’s backyard dream a reality. He breathed life back into a dying game. Romance returned to English football.

This season, against all sensible odds, there is a chance of it happening again.

People's choice

In a delicious turn of events, the Reds now represent the romantics. Liverpool are not just gunning for their first domestic title since 1990. They are promising to become the Gunners of 1989. They are rapidly winning the hearts and minds of the masses.

Beyond the myopic centres of Manchester and Chelsea, every neutral should want Brendan Rodgers’ unlikely title challengers to prevail.

What the Premier League is fortuitously witnessing right now may not be repeated again. The overbearing oligarchs won’t be so obliging next season. The Middle Eastern owners of Manchester City bought the club not only to diversify funds while their oil wells keep on pumping, but to sell their country to a sceptical world. A top English club is an ongoing branding exercise. And yet, despite City’s sterling community work and philanthropy in the area, they are not quite the “people’s club” they wish to be among the top four.

Liverpool are still perceived as the likely lads upsetting the big boys; their impudent, attacking play sidestepping the cold, detached, muscular ATM machines that are trundled out on match days.

Liverpool's devastating SAS striker combo has left opponents quaking in their boots this season

The thought of omnipotent oligarchs struggling to pull off their dastardly schemes of global domination – potentially thwarted by those cheeky imposters from Liverpool – is a comforting one. City and Chelsea’s billionaires are at risk of ending up as cartoonish schemers from Scooby Doo. They would’ve gotten away with it, if it hadn’t been for those meddling kids from Merseyside.

And the Reds need to triumph this season. Chequebooks will be waved in the air like City and Chelsea just don’t care after the World Cup. The absence of a Premier League trophy in the cabinet room is one thing, but a loss of face in the boardroom is quite something else. They will return with a vengeance, with the debt-ridden, breathless Glazers possibly bringing up the rear.

This is Liverpool’s greatest opportunity to walk alone.

Otherwise Luis Suarez could walk off. If Real Madrid make the striker this year’s prized catch, he’ll be off even with a winners medal in his pocket. But a title presents him with a dilemma at least. He will procrastinate. There will be reasons to stay.

Walking together

Chief among them is the scintillating, swashbuckling style introduced by Manager of the Year-in-waiting Rodgers. This is where the Reds leave the Gunners of 1989 far behind. They might even eclipse the great Liverpool sides of the 1970s and early 1980s, if not their trophy haul. Anfield hasn't had it so good in a generation.

Suarez is threatening to end the season with an extraordinary goal-a-game average, Daniel Sturridge’s consistency has England supporters daring to dream of World Cup progress beyond the group stages, and Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho are dancing in the Merseyside moonlight.

Something quite magical has returned to Anfield. Noise. The Kop has always been a cacophony of Scouse songs, wind-ups and piss-takes, but this is something else. This is the collective roar of belief; a series of Hobbesian, brutish, hypnotic, ritualistic chants that are lifting the hosts and unnerving visitors. You’ll Never Walk Alone is ripping hairs from the back of the neck and spitting them at opponents.

With a perfect soundtrack, a rogue’s gallery of opposing villains and a real sense of Spielbergian adventure, Liverpool’s captivating narrative is difficult to dismiss. Any remaining sceptics still resistant to the club’s dashing title run must surely fall for its indomitable local hero.

Gerrard has the opportunity to make his mark in history as an Anfield legend

He is perhaps the greatest player never to win the Premier League. He is the Oscar-less Richard Burton of the modern game. No footballer deserves a winner’s medal more than Steven Gerrard

The long wait

He will be 34 at the end of next month. Captain for both club and country, he made his debut in 1998 and has finished above Manchester United only once in his entire Liverpool career. That was back in 2002. United came third. He is one of the finest English midfielders of all time. He is perhaps the greatest player never to win the Premier League. He is the Oscar-less Richard Burton of the modern game. No footballer deserves a winner’s medal more than Steven Gerrard.

His manager, team-mates and supporters have all referenced him in their title challenge. Everyone wants to win it for Stevie G. Even Manchester United fans shuffle their feet and mutter something into their beer about the Scouser meriting his place at the pinnacle.

From Gerrard’s renaissance to the rehabilitation of Suarez, Liverpool’s invigorating style and their comparatively mediocre resources surely make them a welcome roadblock to City and Chelsea’s blitzkrieg advance towards domestic domination.

And if the skipper can guide this fantastical script to its fairytale conclusion by charging through the midfield and doing ‘a Michael Thomas’, then even the game’s most hardened cynics should party like it’s 1989.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-romantics-should-want-liverpool-win-premier-league-title-season#dQS6K5WItkoLzP2C.99

I'm coming down with a serious case of Scousitis here, I found myself humming YNWA this morning.This article from Four Four Two sums it up perfectly

Liverpool are the traditionalist's pick for the English Premier League title, says Neil Humphreys, as the campaign brings to mind the most famous title-decider in Anfield history...

On May 26, 1989, I found myself sitting, cross-legged, on the turf of an east London park with at least two dozen other teenagers. Shoulder to shoulder in a circle, we huddled around a small radio like it was an idol worthy of worship. We had gathered for a kickabout but the scuffed ball was left looking rather forlorn, about 20 yards away, long forgotten.

We had kicked off about the same time as Arsenal at Anfield, where the north Londoners required a 2-0 victory to win the old First Division title on the final night of the season. We had focused more on our own meandering muddling than events up at Liverpool.

And then Alan Smith scored for the Gunners. Arsenal were a goal away from the most romantic ending in English football’s history. Our game was swiftly abandoned. An hour earlier, almost all of us had wanted Liverpool to win; for their attacking panache under Kenny Dalglish; for Barnes and Beardsley; for Hillsborough.

But Michael Thomas, charging through the midfield, did his thing. He scored that decisive second. We rose as one, hugging each other, none of us Arsenal fans, before tearing off around the pitch in celebration. In a rare moment of sporting perfection, Thomas made every boy’s backyard dream a reality. He breathed life back into a dying game. Romance returned to English football.

This season, against all sensible odds, there is a chance of it happening again.

People's choice

In a delicious turn of events, the Reds now represent the romantics. Liverpool are not just gunning for their first domestic title since 1990. They are promising to become the Gunners of 1989. They are rapidly winning the hearts and minds of the masses.

Beyond the myopic centres of Manchester and Chelsea, every neutral should want Brendan Rodgers’ unlikely title challengers to prevail.

What the Premier League is fortuitously witnessing right now may not be repeated again. The overbearing oligarchs won’t be so obliging next season. The Middle Eastern owners of Manchester City bought the club not only to diversify funds while their oil wells keep on pumping, but to sell their country to a sceptical world. A top English club is an ongoing branding exercise. And yet, despite City’s sterling community work and philanthropy in the area, they are not quite the “people’s club” they wish to be among the top four.

Liverpool are still perceived as the likely lads upsetting the big boys; their impudent, attacking play sidestepping the cold, detached, muscular ATM machines that are trundled out on match days.

Liverpool's devastating SAS striker combo has left opponents quaking in their boots this season

The thought of omnipotent oligarchs struggling to pull off their dastardly schemes of global domination – potentially thwarted by those cheeky imposters from Liverpool – is a comforting one. City and Chelsea’s billionaires are at risk of ending up as cartoonish schemers from Scooby Doo. They would’ve gotten away with it, if it hadn’t been for those meddling kids from Merseyside.

And the Reds need to triumph this season. Chequebooks will be waved in the air like City and Chelsea just don’t care after the World Cup. The absence of a Premier League trophy in the cabinet room is one thing, but a loss of face in the boardroom is quite something else. They will return with a vengeance, with the debt-ridden, breathless Glazers possibly bringing up the rear.

This is Liverpool’s greatest opportunity to walk alone.

Otherwise Luis Suarez could walk off. If Real Madrid make the striker this year’s prized catch, he’ll be off even with a winners medal in his pocket. But a title presents him with a dilemma at least. He will procrastinate. There will be reasons to stay.

Walking together

Chief among them is the scintillating, swashbuckling style introduced by Manager of the Year-in-waiting Rodgers. This is where the Reds leave the Gunners of 1989 far behind. They might even eclipse the great Liverpool sides of the 1970s and early 1980s, if not their trophy haul. Anfield hasn't had it so good in a generation.

Suarez is threatening to end the season with an extraordinary goal-a-game average, Daniel Sturridge’s consistency has England supporters daring to dream of World Cup progress beyond the group stages, and Raheem Sterling and Philippe Coutinho are dancing in the Merseyside moonlight.

Something quite magical has returned to Anfield. Noise. The Kop has always been a cacophony of Scouse songs, wind-ups and piss-takes, but this is something else. This is the collective roar of belief; a series of Hobbesian, brutish, hypnotic, ritualistic chants that are lifting the hosts and unnerving visitors. You’ll Never Walk Alone is ripping hairs from the back of the neck and spitting them at opponents.

With a perfect soundtrack, a rogue’s gallery of opposing villains and a real sense of Spielbergian adventure, Liverpool’s captivating narrative is difficult to dismiss. Any remaining sceptics still resistant to the club’s dashing title run must surely fall for its indomitable local hero.

Gerrard has the opportunity to make his mark in history as an Anfield legend

He is perhaps the greatest player never to win the Premier League. He is the Oscar-less Richard Burton of the modern game. No footballer deserves a winner’s medal more than Steven Gerrard

The long wait

He will be 34 at the end of next month. Captain for both club and country, he made his debut in 1998 and has finished above Manchester United only once in his entire Liverpool career. That was back in 2002. United came third. He is one of the finest English midfielders of all time. He is perhaps the greatest player never to win the Premier League. He is the Oscar-less Richard Burton of the modern game. No footballer deserves a winner’s medal more than Steven Gerrard.

His manager, team-mates and supporters have all referenced him in their title challenge. Everyone wants to win it for Stevie G. Even Manchester United fans shuffle their feet and mutter something into their beer about the Scouser meriting his place at the pinnacle.

From Gerrard’s renaissance to the rehabilitation of Suarez, Liverpool’s invigorating style and their comparatively mediocre resources surely make them a welcome roadblock to City and Chelsea’s blitzkrieg advance towards domestic domination.

And if the skipper can guide this fantastical script to its fairytale conclusion by charging through the midfield and doing ‘a Michael Thomas’, then even the game’s most hardened cynics should party like it’s 1989.

Read more at http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-romantics-should-want-liverpool-win-premier-league-title-season#dQS6K5WItkoLzP2C.99

What a load of complete drivel, anybody who endured the locals acting like packs of hyena's in the 70's and 80's will never want Liverpool to win anything, that mentality is still there. Blades are still used, away fans transport attacked.

Gerard is the lowest of the low in sporting terms, that backpass cemented him in that bracket, as bad as a match fixer, don't forget his off field conduct either. 

One place they will never be forgiven is Turin, Heysel should never be forgotten. The feeling there is still very strong as the link shows.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x12/stalkermann/juventus

Don't forget as well they are the third biggest spenders in the Premier League, over the Premier League years the biggest, hardly the paupers that crap makes them out to be.

Archived