Why aren't there many players from Derby

petersimple

He also had an unhealthy obsession with fish and chips, particularly relishing whenever we played away at Grimsby.

It's only unhealthy if you believe all this new age health food propaganda.

But knowing you as well as I do, a real ale drinking, spicy food fanatical, chilli-seed snorting, headbanger, there's no way on God's polluted earth....

oh hang on... his obsession is unhealthy.? not the fish and chips! He also had an obsession with players having bandy legs, calling them proper footballers, and using Sir Bobby Robson as a qualifier! lol

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello All, I'm new here. 

Have read the forums for a while and thought now was the time to participate!

Being an Il'son lad, thought I'd have to mention Geoff Barrowcliffe and Ray Straw, both Ilkestonians.

Geoff Barrowcliffe was a great Derby County player. Derby had 111 goals and promotion in 1956-57, with gates averaging more than 19,000. Ray Straw, like Barrowcliffe a native of Ilkeston, equalled Jack Bowers' club record by scoring 37 times. Barrowcliffe was an integral part of that side, either at right or left-back and missed only one game. After the flourish, Storer and his successor Tim Ward were hampered by lack of cash and the Rams did little more than mark time in the Second Division until they were galvanised by Brian Clough and Peter Taylor. By then, Barrowcliffe had run his course after 503 appearances. He is one of only seven to play for Derby more than 500 times. 

(taken from an obituary to Geoff who died in Ilkeston in 2009).

Having a good Academy will help to resolve the problem longer term. [bTW - Will Hughes moved to Derby when he was two]

If you want to see the effect that a good Academy can have, Crewe Alex had a starting XI comprising of Academy/ex-Academy players for the final game of the season last year. I believe that they all came from within a 50-mile radius of Crewe. (they beat Walsall 2-1, incidentally)

Just shows what can be achieved ;)

I think the basic answer to the question in the thread title, is that Derby isn't a very big place...

I don't think it is about the size of Derby. If you are talking about players nearly every one interested in football and over 50 has heard of then Derby has produced only one big name – Tony Hateley. But if you look at Ashington, a very small town, then they can claim Jackie Milburn, Jimmy Adamson, Bobby Charlton and Jackie Charlton. Look at Middlesborough, a much smaller place than Derby. They can claim Brian Clough, Don Revie, Wilf Mannion and Alan Peacock. I realise the North East is a special case. There have always been more scouts up there, but if I looked I think I would find other places the size of Derby have usually produced more players and more better known players.

Look at Middlesborough, a much smaller place than Derby. They can claim Brian Clough, Don Revie, Wilf Mannion and Alan Peacock.

No-one would ever claim Don Revie.

I'm very happy with the current squad and I think we need to be very cautious about what we add to it.

What's important is to see how we respond to losing against Leicester, if we do. If we win, that will be absolutely fantastic, but if we lose, the way we react to three defeats on the bounce will be far more significant than any of the three defeats themselves.

The squad is good enough to be promoted, but that's not the whole story.

I'm very happy with the current squad and I think we need to be very cautious about what we add to it.

What's important is to see how we respond to losing against Leicester, if we do. If we win, that will be absolutely fantastic, but if we lose, the way we react to three defeats on the bounce will be far more significant than any of the three defeats themselves.

The squad is good enough to be promoted, but that's not the whole story.

Is this in the wrong place?  :unsure:

Archived