Why aren't there many players from Derby

petersimple

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always thought Mark Hateley was born in Derby as I went to school with some of his family (at least I thought I did)

May have been confused with Tony Hateley.

Mark Hateley does have some family in the Alvaston area but I think he was born in Liverpool (that's what Google said anyway!)

Although I pride myself on knowing the names of a lot of players – probably thousands - the name Mark Higgins didn't ring any bells.  The other day I was talking to a Grimsby fan and I mentioned some of the Grimsby players I remembered – players like Matt Tees – and he was quite impressed. Yet I couldn't remember a big name player like Mark Higgins. A similar thing happened last summer. Someone said he had recently met an Englishman in France who played over a hundred games for Liverpool and I asked what his name was. I will know him, I said. When he told me the name I didn't know it. There was a player for Coventry with the same name I said but not a Liverpool player. When I checked later it was the same player and I had completely forgotten he had started with Liverpool. It just goes to show the fallibility of human memory. After reading the following interesting interview with Higgins I can now remember him.

http://www.bluekipper.com/players/65-interviews/6569-exclusive_interview_with_everton_legend_mark_higgins.html

Was Mark Higgins the son(or relation) of John Higgins? John was a Buxton lad (my brother went to school with him), joined Bolton for a £10 signing-on fee and won a Cup winners medal, 1958 I think. The whole Bolton team cost a total of £110.

Although I pride myself on knowing the names of a lot of players – probably thousands - the name Mark Higgins didn't ring any bells.  The other day I was talking to a Grimsby fan and I mentioned some of the Grimsby players I remembered – players like Matt Tees – and he was quite impressed. Yet I couldn't remember a big name player like Mark Higgins. A similar thing happened last summer. Someone said he had recently met an Englishman in France who played over a hundred games for Liverpool and I asked what his name was. I will know him, I said. When he told me the name I didn't know it. There was a player for Coventry with the same name I said but not a Liverpool player. When I checked later it was the same player and I had completely forgotten he had started with Liverpool. It just goes to show the fallibility of human memory. After reading the following interesting interview with Higgins I can now remember him.

http://www.bluekipper.com/players/65-interviews/6569-exclusive_interview_with_everton_legend_mark_higgins.html

Yes......i know who you mean......whatsisname.

Was Mark Higgins the son(or relation) of John Higgins? John was a Buxton lad (my brother went to school with him), joined Bolton for a £10 signing-on fee and won a Cup winners medal, 1958 I think. The whole Bolton team cost a total of £110.

Having read the piece I see that he is. Doh

Most of the players mentioned above are from Derbyshire not Derby. You would think a city the size of Derby would produce a lot of players but that is not the case.

Andy Rowland is another player from Derby. He was a contemporary of Steve Powell and Peter Ward. He did very well at Swindon. I've just looked him up and it seems that he was in hospital with dementia last year.

My great uncle taught John Higgins ( he had a Bolton Shirt given him) but that was in Bakewell. He was Marks dad. Died a good few years ago now did John. Played in the 58 Final v Manchester Uniteds beg, steal or borrow team.

Archived