Russell out until the end of the month

MrsRam

I had a clear view and it looked like heads to me.  Russell got to the ball easily and the Wigan player came steaming in with no intention of playing the ball, only cleaning out Russell and ended up head butting him.  Definitely foul, at least a yellow, and he should have been very lucky to not see red.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red card all day that challenge. Led with his arm, no intent to get the ball. Whether it was his elbow or his head that eventually came into contact with Russell is immaterial, it was dangerous play.The fact that the ref didn't even give a foul showed how either incompetent he was or how Wigan had managed to influence him.

As RamNut said, they were in his ear all afternoon trying to get Martin booked, especially after their defender - the one who threw that hilarious hissy fit - got a yellow.

Should have been a red card, incredible the ref only gave a drop ball. Perch should have been sent of oft intent on Ward. We sit in the East stand and you could see from there how high Ward had to jump to get out the way of of Perch.

I thought a one point Wigan were trying to emulate a 70's Leeds team. If that's the only way they can win it's not very good is it

Aye don't disagree with you all, Wigan played a very hard, physical brand of football aimed at stopping us from playing at all costs. The ref was pretty abysmal and they were lucky to have 11 on the pitch at the end of it. I'm afraid he was not strong enough to deal with their various tactics but we can't blame him for the defeat, we didn't figure out a way of countering it until it was too late.

Feel sorry for Russell, he's not had the best of luck and given a run in the side I think he'd be a top player at this level. Hopefully this is the last of his injury problems.

End of the day, does it matter if a late challenge is with the foot or a head....no. Ref offered no protection all game.

Exactly. If two teams want to kick lumps out of one another then let them get on with it and the game flow otherwise it'll be a free kick every minute and 8 men each.

But when one is trying to play football and the other is intent on breaking skulls then the ref should surely offer protection and do what has to be done at the cost of the quality of the game.

Can't believe the credit Howard Webb got for that World Cup final. He made a thuggish game keep flowing.

Yeah, had that have been England wouldn't you rather have limbs still attached to your players and play against 9 men than entertain neutrals?

Was a ***** game anyway. Thugs.

Although Rodley is right. We didnt really do enough to claim we deserved goals to win it.

Al Habsi didnt have much to do for nearly the whole game. When we turned it on we started to look too good. But if you can't turn it on before injury time then you have to take defeat on the chin.

In my opinion, not a red card.

Russell and the Wigan player went up to head it Russell with a timed jump and a good connection the other player was just reckless, he didn't use excessive force though or with any malice he did try to head the ball.

I would have given a yellow.

In my opinion, not a red card.

Russell and the Wigan player went up to head it Russell with a timed jump and a good connection the other player was just reckless, he didn't use excessive force though or with any malice he did try to head the ball.

I would have given a yellow.

He led with his arm.

Straight red.

Just watched the incident back on Rams player and he didn't lead with his arm.

Shoulder? OK, deliberate head-butt and that's my final offer.

Archived