Russell out until the end of the month

MrsRam

Derby County ‏@dcfcofficial2m
#dcfc's @johnnyrussell27 has undergone surgery on a fractured cheekbone sustained Vs #wafc: http://tinyurl.com/nhnmvu2 

PUBLISHED

12:20 3rd January 2014

by DCFC Media

Striker undergoes surgery on fractured cheekbone.

Derby County striker Johnny Russell has undergone successful surgery after he sustained a fractured cheekbone in the New Year’s Day game against Wigan Athletic.

Russell suffered the injury in the second half of the game against Uwe Rosler’s men at the iPro Stadium.

The consultant’s opinion, following surgery, is that Russell is expected to return to action by the end of the month. 

23-year-old Russell, who joined Derby from Scottish Premier League side Dundee United in the summer, has scored five goals in 21 appearances in all competitions so far this season.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/russell-sustains-fractured-cheekbone-1272757.aspx#B2r8OH54X2DLpMEi.99

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Striker undergoes surgery on fractured cheekbone.

Derby County striker Johnny Russell has undergone successful surgery after he sustained a fractured cheekbone in the New Year’s Day game against Wigan Athletic.

Russell suffered the injury in the second half of the game against Uwe Rosler’s men at the iPro Stadium.

The consultant’s opinion, following surgery, is that Russell is expected to return to action by the end of the month. 

23-year-old Russell, who joined Derby from Scottish Premier League side Dundee United in the summer, has scored five goals in 21 appearances in all competitions so far this season.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/russell-sustains-fractured-cheekbone-1272757.aspx#L1EzdAiY84orTWpa.99

Think it must be about time we got behind Ward since he is going to be starting again now...or maybe Bamford in and going 2 up front? 

Just what Russell didn't need when he was really starting to live up to his potential

Poor guy just can't catch a break.

He just needs a good, uninterrupted run in the team and I'm certain we'll see great things from him. He's got so much potential.

Trouble is, he's caught two

So he played on with a fractured cheekbone that needed surgery - I assume this was from the challenge on the edge of their box.

If it was why did they take Ward off and leave an injured player on the field?

Hindsights a wonderful thing.

They probably thought he had just taken a bit of a whack at the time. I'm not sure we can wheel an x-ray machine onto the pitch every time a player takes an injury to see if they should stay on or not.

Maybe the Russell was o.k with staying on the pitch and didn't realise the extent of the injury?

Shame for the lad, he has shown promise but hasn't been able to put much of a run of games together with the injuries.

So he played on with a fractured cheekbone that needed surgery - I assume this was from the challenge on the edge of their box.

I thought that too. Was quite surprised when Wardys number went up. Thought Russell was the one to go. As someone quoted earlier hindsight etc etc

Player and physio has the responsibility in cases like this. No one else can see fractured cheekbone, noticing broken leg is much easier...

Archived