Charlton Athletic v Derby County

sage

Enjoyed the game yesterday and although it wasn't the same performance as against Blackpool, it was still a battling result with some good possession football thrown in.

First 20 mins was poor from us, couldn't keep the ball and missed Hughes' creativity, incisive passing and runs with Dawkins and Ward doing very little out on the wings. 

As soon as we scored though, the first half seemed pretty much over. We kept the ball well but the pitch made it difficult for the team to get any attacking threat going.

Second half, Charlton came out strong, battling hard but again didn't really cause us any trouble. Ward then hit the bar when he should have scored and that seemed to wake Charlton up. Church missed a really clear cut chance when he didn't get enough on a header and then Grant pulled off a great save although it came from nothing. There was a bit of backs to the wall defending towards the end but for me, Charlton never looked like scoring. Decision to take Martin off for Sammon looked strange until he played Bryson in to slot in the 2nd but still, apart from his battling spirit and hard work, I don't think he fits into the team we now have. His touch just isn't good enough and looks a level below Martin. 

Wisdom looked quality, nothing troubled him and seems to have an amazing amount of composure for such a young right back. Frustrating to see Buxton and Keogh play some ridiculous 50 yard balls to the wing that most of the time didn't pay off.

A great day though and the fans we're great, singing for pretty much all of the match and drowned the Charlton fans out for the whole thing! 

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as I agree with you, the fact that you mention it every after match is becoming as boring and repetitive as the songs themselves.

I've mentioned before that it would be much more constructive to make suggestions to the people trying to create an atmosphere rather than just put down everything they try.

I think its quite clear that the bunch that do the singing have very little imagination and are not song writers...so why not give them a hand?

A lot of people moan about the 'song' that's always repeated at Pride Park but its pretty much the only 'song' that other parts of the ground join in with.

Having enjoyed times when terraces were awash with banter, witty retorts and songs that became synonymous with teams I do genuinely share your frustration but I can't help but feel that you don't offer anything constructive.

Don't take this as a personal attack but its mainly you that I notice criticising our support and I think its a little unfair at times, after all how many other grounds do you visit and hear songs which are completely new and not based on something that has been sung by another club before?

You're right I go on about it too much, it's sad really, I should just accept it and get a life.

It really does annoy me though. It's not just us personally, it's just football fans in general. I just think, why cant we be different? Why cant we try and create something unique? Obviously very few people think the same way and most people dont give a f*ck.

I dont attend enough games to do anything about it. You're wrong I dont offer anything constructive. I've offered plenty of ideas down the years but the thing I see as a problem, other people dont, so nothing will change no matter what I or anyone else did. 

Basically everyone now at football that sings and gets involved, doesnt see the point I make as a problem, so nothing will ever change. Apart from arguably at the big clubs. 

is the team outgrowing the fans ?? !!

does the team deserve better fans ??

I think years of mediocrity has taken its toll on away fans and a lot of people can't afford to go to every away game. It'll take time to win away fans back IMO. I'll go to Barnsley though.

You're right I go on about it too much, it's sad really, I should just accept it and get a life.

It really does annoy me though. It's not just us personally, it's just football fans in general. I just think, why cant we be different? Why cant we try and create something unique? Obviously very few people think the same way and most people dont give a f*ck.

I dont attend enough games to do anything about it. You're wrong I dont offer anything constructive. I've offered plenty of ideas down the years but the thing I see as a problem, other people dont, so nothing will change no matter what I or anyone else did.

Basically everyone now at football that sings and gets involved, doesnt see the point I make as a problem, so nothing will ever change. Apart from arguably at the big clubs.

Probably a bit of a generalisation but the youth of today have no imagination.

They live in a bit of a bubble with technology that most of us never even dreamed of when we were young.

All they know is what they see on Sky HD and whatever went on before that is irrelevant to them.

If we could teleport them back to The Popside days just for one afternoon I wonder how different the Pride Park atmosphere would be?

Its getting better and thinking back 10 years I refuse to believe it is anything to do with the acoustics, design of the ground or the fact that it is an all seater stadium.

The Southampton play off game was up there with some of the best BBG atmospheres in my opinion.

Probably a bit of a generalisation but the youth of today have no imagination.

They live in a bit of a bubble with technology that most of us never even dreamed of when we were young.

All they know is what they see on Sky HD and whatever went on before that is irrelevant to them.

If we could teleport them back to The Popside days just for one afternoon I wonder how different the Pride Park atmosphere would be?

Its getting better and thinking back 10 years I refuse to believe it is anything to do with the acoustics, design of the ground or the fact that it is an all seater stadium.

The Southampton play off game was up there with some of the best BBG atmospheres in my opinion.

Not sure I blame the kids. Previous generations have sapped any creativity out of mainstream music turning it into instantly forgettable manufactured *****. They need the tunes to make something up.

Can anyone name any good, popular, fairly catchy song over the last year/5 years?

Not sure I blame the kids. Previous generations have sapped any creativity out of mainstream music turning it into instantly forgettable manufactured *****. They need the tunes to make something up.

Can anyone name any good, popular, fairly catchy song over the last year/5 years?

Are you suggesting it would not be possible to get The South Stand doing Gangnam Style?

In all honesty you could have replaced that 5 with a 20.

Are you suggesting it would not be possible to get The South Stand doing Gangnam Style?

In all honesty you could have replaced that 5 with a 20.

Without wanting to hijack the thread with something completely irrelevant: there's a hell of a lot of good music out there, you just need to look for it. The problem is that most people can't be arsed and make do with the stuff shoved down everyone's throats week in week out through mainstream channels, which is the same manufactured crap designed to make a few people exceptionally rich!

Same can be said for a lot of things, sports, arts, comedy, films etc.

There's still a lot of talented people out there doing a lot of good stuff, people just need to find it and share it with others...

Relating this back to the atmosphere, it should only take one or two small groups taking the intiative and doing something original and persevering long enough until the sheep follow suit. The team's continued success should keep increasing the numbers and as a result there will be more input into the atmosphere from different sources, in time this should bring new ideas and impetus to it and we might just do something original.

Post-modern rant over

Decision to take Martin off for Sammon looked strange until he played Bryson in to slot in the 2nd but still, apart from his battling spirit and hard work, I don't think he fits into the team we now have. His touch just isn't good enough and looks a level below Martin. 

Just an observation. He came on in the 85th minute according to the stats and set up the clincher. I'm not saying you're wrong overall but that's pretty good in such a short space of time, isn't it? It's a squad game nowadays and he seems to have something to offer in those last minutes.

Enjoyed the game yesterday and although it wasn't the same performance as against Blackpool, it was still a battling result with some good possession football thrown in.

First 20 mins was poor from us, couldn't keep the ball and missed Hughes' creativity, incisive passing and runs with Dawkins and Ward doing very little out on the wings. 

As soon as we scored though, the first half seemed pretty much over. We kept the ball well but the pitch made it difficult for the team to get any attacking threat going.

Second half, Charlton came out strong, battling hard but again didn't really cause us any trouble. Ward then hit the bar when he should have scored and that seemed to wake Charlton up. Church missed a really clear cut chance when he didn't get enough on a header and then Grant pulled off a great save although it came from nothing. There was a bit of backs to the wall defending towards the end but for me, Charlton never looked like scoring. Decision to take Martin off for Sammon looked strange until he played Bryson in to slot in the 2nd but still, apart from his battling spirit and hard work, I don't think he fits into the team we now have. His touch just isn't good enough and looks a level below Martin. 

Wisdom looked quality, nothing troubled him and seems to have an amazing amount of composure for such a young right back. Frustrating to see Buxton and Keogh play some ridiculous 50 yard balls to the wing that most of the time didn't pay off.

A great day though and the fans we're great, singing for pretty much all of the match and drowned the Charlton fans out for the whole thing! 

Haven't seen the game yet but could the reason be that terrible pitch (and Hughes not playing)? Maybe they've been ordered to keep it safe? Was it all the game or after Ward had scored?

Just an observation. He came on in the 85th minute according to the stats and set up the clincher. I'm not saying you're wrong overall but that's pretty good in such a short space of time, isn't it? It's a squad game nowadays and he seems to have something to offer in those last minutes.

He may have flicked the ball into Bryson's path for the second to seal the game but it wasn't exactly a pass that no one else could have made, he was in the right place at the right time. I still think he's a level below Martin in terms of ability. Looking at the senior attacking players we have (Martin, Dawkins, Ward, Russell, Sammon), Sammon is the only one who you wouldn't be confident of being able to control the ball under pressure and play those intricate moves around the area. Plus, he still missed a good chance when the ball was played into him right before the final whistle and he completely missed controlled it. 

For me he's the one who runs after everything and uses his strength to put defenders under pressure. Maybe in that sense, he gives value to the team but I still think we need a player who has a decent touch who can replace Martin when he gets tired or injured... 

Haven't seen the game yet but could the reason be that terrible pitch (and Hughes not playing)? Maybe they've been ordered to keep it safe? Was it all the game or after Ward had scored?

It was all game from what I can remember. Don't get me wrong, they kept a clean sheet and apart from a couple of chances, Charlton never looked like scoring, but when we were struggling to keep possession at the start of the first half and at other times, watching Buxton and Keogh try the wonder ball to Dawkins/Ward and seeing it either hold up in the wind and end up being a 50/50 or the ball going straight out, it seemed slightly pointless...

Anyway, happy with another win!!

Archived