winning ugly

TroyDyer

A massive victory today.

On the face of it, a scrappy 2-1 against a side down to ten men for an hour, doesn't seem a great achievement.

But anyone can win when they are playing well. But not a team on earth plays well every game.

That's what seperates the good sides. The ability to win when playing poorly.

That's a massive thing for us. I can't remember us winning ugly for a long long long time.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are being harsh. We went quickly from one or two players playing at 7/10+ to nine or ten players performing at 7/10+. Tonight we were back down to five players performing. Still decent enough, and I'm glad McClaren is setting high standards but maybe we expect too much.

I missed Steve's interview, did he say summat about the players being upset and cross with themselves?

I thought there was too much pissing about in the box, more low crosses from Ward and Forsyth and we would have smashed them.

Still, a good win regardless of how it looked, that's what champions do...

I missed Steve's interview, did he say summat about the players being upset and cross with themselves?

I thought there was too much pissing about in the box, more low crosses from Ward and Forsyth and we would have smashed them.

Still, a good win regardless of how it looked, that's what champions do...

He said it was a poor performance and all the plays knew it and admitted it. Or something of that ilk.

Like people say its the mark of a good side because nobody can play well all the time.

But it can be easy to accept 'results by any means' as a habit. I'm glad the manager and players aren't overhyping this win then.

You don't want to let standards slip and think its ok. A lot of teams do that and away goes the nice football in the early months and in comes the ***** football and worse weather. We've done it ourselves many times.

I trust Mac and Co though. I think they'll have given a reality check and the team will start quickly on Saturday.

The game reminded me a lot of the Leicester Birmingham & Blackburn home games. Both of those came here and defended in numbers and we really struggled to get anywhere. For all our attacking flair and being the highest scorers in the league, we really struggle to penetrate teams who do that to us at home.

Against Leicester we had no joy whatsoever and then they fluked a comedy deflected goal for the win.

Against Birmingham we squeezed one in and then they fluked an equalizer due to some offside confusion with the player running back.

Against Blackburn we got a penalty and then they grabbed a last minute equalizer as our concentration lapsed.

The difference last night was that we managed to squeeze the winner out from under Sammon's shin pad.

To play devil's advocate - I think people are maybe getting a bit carried away, and it could just be the law of averages that said it was about time we got the lucky break in one of these games. It helped that they had 10 men for the last hour, especially when we brought the subs on with fresh legs.

I'm more concerned that this team doesn't seem to have a plan b for when teams come and do that to us – because it's going to happen a lo more times this season

the plan A seems to be working.

At 1-1, go for the winner, DON'T protect the point. That'll do me.

Fair point. Clough was petrified of this approach for some reason. (See Cwyka-gate)

At some point though we'll go with Plan A and then the other team will fluke a winner. Will be interesting to see how McClaren and the fans react to that when it happens

Fair point. Clough was petrified of this approach for some reason. (See Cwyka-gate)

At some point though we'll go with Plan A and then the other team will fluke a winner. Will be interesting to see how McClaren and the fans react to that when it happens

I genuinely believe fans can accept defeat if it's in a certain manner. There are ways of attacking without being kamikaze and allowing yourself to be countered. But the old method of all 11 men behind the ball with no positive intent are hopefully long gone.

Over a season, trying to win will gain more points than holding on for a draw.

Sure we'll lose the odd game by going gung ho, but under macca, we've already gained 4 by that approach. And personally i would make that 5 as if we'd continued to sit back, Watford would have scored again.

After 5 years of sitting back and losing, or surrendering leads(BOTH SHEFF WED LAST SEASON) I love the new approach.

Be interesting to see how you react.

I would rather win 1 and lose 1 as opposed to drawing 2.

Archived