winning ugly

TroyDyer

Like people say its the mark of a good side because nobody can play well all the time.

But it can be easy to accept 'results by any means' as a habit. I'm glad the manager and players aren't overhyping this win then.

You don't want to let standards slip and think its ok. A lot of teams do that and away goes the nice football in the early months and in comes the ***** football and worse weather. We've done it ourselves many times.

I trust Mac and Co though. I think they'll have given a reality check and the team will start quickly on Saturday.

Agree with that 100% and I'd expect us to slip up massively in the next few games under Clough or a more naive manager. My only worry about the recent run of games is that it sounds as if we haven't really played well, or as well as we should have. Wigan practically gave us the game on Sunday and we're very lucky to be able to be so positive today after last night, hoping this really isn't a string of luck. Started to notice in the 2nd half at Wigan and last night that some of the stuff we were trying wasn't quite coming off as it had against Leeds or Wednesday.

What's really encouraged me about this regime is how McClaren is acknowledging in his interviews and obviously knows we still need to improve. In the moan in on Monday, he said something about us currently riding a wave and looking to ride it as long as possible, but still come off it well. The games after our run ends will hopefully show what the difference is between Clough and Mac.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird thing was though that under Clough we never seemed to draw. As troydyer said, steamroll someone at home then lose comfortably away. I always wanted more draws under Clough. Not losing is a good habit. 3 draws is better than 1 win and 2 defeats.

I don't have the fortune of being in Derby so the only chance to see them play is the odd away game in my area.  Of the games I saw, we played very negative football.  It's nice to see Derby kicking on a bit.

I take your point about consistancy being better in a way, but it was painful watching Derby cram players behind the ball when we were 1-0 up.

Not sure i go along with all this winning ugly nonsense.

I can understand the concept if we are playing a better side, defending well, and then snatching a winner.....

E.g. V West brom at wembley.....

But we were playing a poor side, and were unable to get it together properly.

Rather than saying anything about our promotion credentials it was just a bit naff and we got a bit lucky.

Move on.

Hopefully we play better on saturday.

I can understand the concept if we are playing a better side, defending well, and then snatching a winner.....

Rather than saying anything about our promotion credentials it was just a bit naff and we got a bit lucky.

Move on.

I really didn't see it that way nutty owd lad!

Boro were organised and made it hard for us. We were a bit "leggy" and the crispness of our passing game was not there but even so i thought we kept trying to do the right thing.

Was there not a hint of the Man United influence in the way we keep pushing and probing, never giving up. Could be that Steve's and Eric's experiences at United, winning games late on, are bearing fruit here?

I really didn't see it that way nutty owd lad!

Boro were organised and made it hard for us. We were a bit "leggy" and the crispness of our passing game was not there but even so i thought we kept trying to do the right thing.

Was there not a hint of the Man United influence in the way we keep pushing and probing, never giving up. Could be that Steve's and Eric's experiences at United, winning games late on, are bearing fruit here?

Brolly time?

Move on.

But I think that's exactly the point. We didn't play well, we got a bit lucky... that is winning ugly - wins that we usually don't manage.

Archived