Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

sage

Cisse was brilliant. Broke up the play and distributed the ball thoughtfully. If he's here long term and today is a measure of how good he is then I can't see Eustace being more than back up (which is a great position to be on).

Forsyth showed glimpses of why Nige signed him - great going forward, solid defensively.

But MOTM for me was Buxton. He misplaced one pass today which was the first I could remember in ages. Consistently one of the best passers of the ball in the team, the strongest CB in the team right now (no slur on Keogh, he was strong today) and was unbeatable today against a rough house Sheff Weds team. Where he is now compared to where he was when he signed for us is just remarkable.

Delighted with today, could have gone very differently after their good result last week and a good crowd behind them but we were brilliant. Happy days.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Completely agree with the quality of the goals we keep scoring, over and over. They remind me of Southampton in their promotion season. Oh, and when were we last (ever?) the division's top scorers?

I reckon we'll get billions and billions, Carl.

I've been bleating for a performance and that was it. Wisdom and Dawkins were a step up from Brum, and Cisse was DPFGesque and deserves to keep the shirt. Could and should have had 4, 5 or even 6 second half because from 2-0 we just took over and shredded them every time we got over the half way line.

Magic.

Yup, terrific performance today, albeit against a dreadful Wednesday side who were tactically clueless. Stars of the show were Cisse, Bucko and Wardy, who's been a changed man since McLaren arrived.

Wouldn't read too much into the minutes silence thing, the noise was coming from Wednesday fans either outside or just coming into the stadium and wouldn't have known it was going on. Unfortunately, the shussing from their own supporters only made it worse, but it wasn't anything malicious or intentional I don't think.

[quote name="rsmini" post="512752" timestamp="138403

Bucko was immense, says on the OS the shirt is his and he wants to keep it.. Fighting talk if ever there was.

Watched that on OS. Great to see such a honest hard working player, he is the type of player that makes you proud that they were your clubs shirt. But to be fair we have quite a few just now, let's hope we can keep this spirit as we improve the team.

Strangely....only a problem in their part of the ground.

Take it you weren't there at the Walkers a few seasons ago, when the only part of the ground disturbing the silence came from the away fans.

I'm not going to judge Sheffield Wednesday as a result of what happened during the silence.

i walked to the game and as i arrived so did coach load of wednesday fans and i walked past them as they 'tumbled' off their coach.

there was a fella in uniform collecting for the poppy appeal.

nearly all of the wednesday fans were patting him on the back shoving money at him - i saw at least two of them give him 'paper money'

two told him to fu£k off.

Take it you weren't there at the Walkers a few seasons ago, when the only part of the ground disturbing the silence came from the away fans.

I'm not going to judge Sheffield Wednesday as a result of what happened during the silence.

I was there, was embarrassing all round! Minutes silences frustrate me, human beings unable to stay silent for sixty seconds will be the death of us all!

10 is a very good return to say we had 2 tough away games in QPR and Watford..

I can't help feel we definitely dropped 2 points against Brum but those 3 at Watford made up for it..

We actually look like top 6 challengers now.. The first time since 2006/07

I wasn't aware their was a stream for this game.

How unfortunate that I missed it. 

Brilliant performance from our boys, you can only beat what's in front of you but boy did we give them a beating. Some of the play between Martin, Bryson, Hughes and Ward was on another level today. 

You've got to be a **** to not realise it's remembrance weekend, you're at the football, in the ground and the games approaching KO... no excuse. A minutes silence, one minute. Happened last year, the year before that, 5 years before, 10 years... etc etc..  

It's plain ignorant. 

A lot of criticism for Wednesday on here but half the league isn't much better.

The only quality drifts from the same few teams in varied size patches.

Look at Leeds. Look where they are. Garbage side but the league is all similar. Wednesday could almost be as easily finishing 12th as 20th. There's not much in it.

You boss Wednesday by developing a controlled game. Start playing the percentages and you fall into the same trap as 18 other teams. Comes down to depth and the best strikers and fixtures and form.

Develop a footballing side like Swansea did, like Southampton and Norwich were (even though Norwich perhaps had the scruffy version) and you just look like favourites for every match.

Too many teams revert to percentages under pressure because they want to do 'the right things' and 'put the ball in the right areas'. You get glimpses of genuine quality from us and I think the more it encouraged the better we'll do as we have players it suits.

Not saying this league is easy because the PL clubs hold massive squads and take the pick of players down here from the small squads. This season is perhaps the biggest quality gap we've had in a while. 5 teams have either depth or quality that gives them the edge. Burnley seem to be up there as the percentages are working for Dyche and he has a quality finisher or two.

Wednesday will probably struggle but how much better are Boro? Leeds? Charlton? Ipswich?

Wednesday aren't that good but who is?

It's a ***** league. I hope we rise above it by playing controlled football.

We were great, Wednesday were poor. Should probably have been more but I'll take the 3 points and the clean sheet :D

Grant - 7

Wisdom - 8

Keogh - 8

Buxton - 8

Forsyth - 7

Cisse - 8

Bryson - 7

Hughes - 7

Ward - 7

Martin - 6

Dawkins - 7

Between Cisse and Keogh for my MOTM. Former was completely instrumental in everything we did and the latter was an absolute colossus at the back (from memory, his best display in a Derby shirt).

Archived