Brazil 2014... Anyone?

StockholmRam

Just wondering if any of you lovely lads and lasses are heading off to Brazil for next years World Cup?

Im hugely up for the trip, been saving away for a year almost but have to say im very surprised by prices quoted when looking online this morning.

Thompson, the official England travel company has 8,500 pounds for the trip. This includes return flights, internal Brazil flights ( no team will be based or playing in just 1 city) 4 star hotel in each city, plus little luxuries like bus to games from hotel etc....

N.B. This price does not include match tickets!

Is it just me or are these prices just plain bonkers? Cant see many normal hard working fans being able to afford this to be honest.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a tournament on the other side of the world in a massive country. It doesn't surprise me that it's that expensive. I can't imagine the working man affording to follow much of Mexico '70.

The question is, can the local Brazilians afford to go? There were some very disappointing attendances in South Africa.

I don't think I'd ever follow England abroad in a tournament. The police just love an excuse to beat up the English and accuse everyone of being a hooligan, then the locals want to make a name for themselves by taking a pop at the English too. No thanks. As much as I'd love to be in a stadium... it's potentially too much risk of being treated like scum.

I do however like to be out of the country for the early part of the tournament. The last 3 (2006, 2010 & 2012) I've spent the first week or two of the tournament in a lively Greek resort, enjoying the atmosphere.

Not much beats seeing a load of gorgeous blondes walking down Malia bar street in tight England tops, tiny hotpants and football socks. Maybe a load of Brazilians could top it... though.

Not sure what I'll do next year though, if I'm still employed by my current employer, I have to endure fixed holidays, which means no time off in June and July! :(

I was in Greece when they had the Euros there and for the Quarters and Semis in Italia 90. Never really had police or " pop" problems. Its there of course but those that seek trouble stick out like sore thumbs. I have watched England around 60 times in my life and never been involved in anything close to trouble.

Just spoke to a friend of mine who works at Steve Perryman Sports travel here in Stockholm.

He tells me that all the hotels in the main cities have been snapped up for the tournament by FIFA and this is what drives up those prices to such excess. He reckons that around Feb/ March time next year when the organisers still have half the tournament space left to sell that the prices will come tumbling down.

Anyone who believes all the hype about accomodation availability/prices is as stupid as the Sky reporters making it up.

I have been to so many tournaments where it was going to be "impossible" to get an hotel and "impossible" to afford the flight and "impossible" to get tickets...and have always ended up staying in lovely hotels, getting decent flights and tickets are so easy to get hold of.

Remember the fuss with Japan....no one will get tickets, no one will get accomodation etc etc....what a load of crap that turned out to be with the FA selling tickets for the Brazil game to ANYONE who wanted them...and accomodation everywhere.

This will be just the same in Brazil.

I am still undecided about going over, mainly becuase it is a country i would love to visit, but when you go for football you don't get to "visit" the country in the true sense.

The logistics are going to be interesting though, just because the country is so huge...and of course, England will be in the far reaches of the country somewhere....or on some made up island in the middle of the ocean..

my advice for anyone thinking about it but worried about the made up prices etc would be to go over there, book nothing in advance, it will be totally fine, it's all part of the glorious adventure that is folloing the greatest national team in the world...

Nope - not bothering. More time to make sure I've got enough money to do Euro 2016 justice - when Hughes and Bennett rip Germany a new one.

We had planned to go but we've all been abit lazy with saving up and that..

But it's not going to be that expensive.. You can find decent hotels in any city for a decent prce, transportation, food and general living will be cheap for you guys as any American country (excluding Canada and the US) has a much lower cost of living than Europe.

The only problem you guys will have is flight tickets will take up the bulk of your expenditure.. But I'd be suprised if it's any more than $1k return..

Archived