Watford v Derby County

Gritstone Ram

Just a quick question if Hughes who is class player is worth 8-10 million how much is Bryson worth ? I would say this season apart from being Derbys best player I think he's maybe the championships best midfielder on goals scored and assists and that's far from the full story

i think you're right in highlighting Bryson is far more influential for us than Hughes. That's why I think the money being bandied about for the latter is ridiculous. Hughes is a promising player in the Championship - that's all. I hope he develops into a great England star but to do so he will have to eradicate the sloppiness which he is currently guilty of in possession. There's no doubt he has great feet and he can learn from players like Bryson whose all-action approach enables him to get into the positions which have yielded six goals and six assists so far.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness I couldn't think of any other words to use to describe what he did..

He basically made it harder for himself to score by taking it wider which was completely avoidable... Better?

I wasn't actually criticising you, but I now realise how offensive it is to anyone to call them Andy Townsend.

I actually really enjoyed your post.

Sammons been on the pitch 13 times for us this season.

12 of those he was brought on as a sub.

Difference being? Yesterday was obviously an incredibly brilliant tactical decision.

Just saying.

I'm loving the points won, I'm loving the fact we've won two in a row, nobody will accuse me of not loving it. Believe what you want about my allegiances to Clough, I want this Derby team to go up.

I watched our new genius manager pacing up and down in the empty stand, face screwed with worry, with his head in his hands for 15 minutes before we got the goal. I'm glad he was in the stands cos if the players had seen that, they'd have lost the will to fight. I saw him come to the touchline and I heard him give each of our players a Watford player to pick up. 

"Will! WILL, sitck on the 8, stick on the 8 Will"

Those were his instructions.

Please don't insult my football intelligence by telling me I HAVE TO BELIEVE the performances are down to any managerial change. Or that bringing Conor Sammon on was tactical genius when for the last 12 weeks every tie he's come on the manager was clueless and tactically naive.

Cracking win, closer to the play offs, building momentum, looking like we can beat anyone, happy days. it was a big win in a big game, please don't ignore that I'm very positive about the result and what it means to us.

I just won't lie to myself that I'm suddenly watching a team transformed by inspired coaching.

Difference being? Yesterday was obviously an incredibly brilliant tactical decision.

Just saying.

I'm loving the points won, I'm loving the fact we've won two in a row, nobody will accuse me of not loving it. Believe what you want about my allegiances to Clough, I want this Derby team to go up.

I watched our new genius manager pacing up and down in the empty stand, face screwed with worry, with his head in his hands for 15 minutes before we got the goal. I'm glad he was in the stands cos if the players had seen that, they'd have lost the will to fight. I saw him come to the touchline and I heard him give each of our players a Watford player to pick up.

Please don't insult my football intelligence by telling me I HAVE TO BELIEVE the performances are down to any managerial change. Or that bringing Conor Sammon on was tactical genius when for the last 12 weeks every tie he's come on the manager was clueless and tactically naive.

Cracking win, closer to the play offs, building momentum, looking like we can beat anyone, happy days. it was a big win in a big game, please don't ignore that I'm very positive about the result and what it means to us.

I just won't lie to myself that I'm suddenly watching a team transformed by inspired coaching.

The Sammon change was following a switch to a diamond, and it wasn't a straight swap for the striker, was it not?

Think that's the difference between this substitution and the past. Also helped it wasn't after 88minutes.

The amount of people slating Sammon yesterday in matchday chat was shocking when he missed his 1on 1 with their keeper.

Sammon out, feckin useless

SM please get rid

He's ****

SM offload him asap

A few of us commented on it, then he went and scored and all is forgiven, way to go Sammon.

Very, very fickle fans.

Sammon came on, made himself a mischief, put himself about a bit, nothing he hasn't done before though. Dead chuffed he got a goal, hope theres more to come and that he can silence his critics.

The amount of people slating Sammon yesterday in matchday chat was shocking when he missed his 1on 1 with their keeper.

SM please get rid

He's ****

SM offload him asap

A few of us commented on it, then he went and scored and all is forgiven, way to go Sammon.

Very, very fickle fans.

I doubt that. He scored, yes, brilliant. We are glad he scored, pleased for him and the team. Still doesn't change that he isn't a good footballer.

SM please get rid

He's ****

SM offload him asap

Very, very fickle fans.

Some you can't talk to without a tin hat on .

One major change actually, having said all of that about McClaren having no real impact yet.

I do like the fact that it looks as if he's taken Richard Keogh away as the link between keeper, back four and midfield.

I noticed a real shift yesterday, usually it would be Rich coming for the ball off Grant, then him and Bucko swapping it around each other for a while.

Yesterday it was clearly Whitbread who was looking to have the ball and come out playing, he looked quite tidy before he went off and I'm really pleased to see it, I think Keogh will be much better off focussing on his defensive duties.

We get it forward quicker which may be a positive but yesterday we had very little fluidity.

Someone else mentioned, it looks like McC spotted we were going too long, if he fixes that fair play to him

Tbh I give credit to the management yesterday because I didnt think we had a winner in us. A few mins after their equaliser I thought about the draw I hoped to see and how it might effect us.

Sammon coming in though (who I still would never start) does what you want him to do at that stage. Rush defenders, pressure them and force them to play the ball. That's what happened and it sort of pushed Watford off stride a bit. Then we had two clear opportunities ourselves that I don't think would have come about with Martin in that position.

So I'd say the management effected the game. How they came to that decision doesn't matter really.

However I do think Nigel has made similar good tactical decisions like that and we just haven't got the goal and its not paid off.

Oh dav, i'm ploughing thro your miserable posts.......

Ladyram will be back on the fags soon.

Nah, no fags. Maybe drink though....? ;-)

The Sammon change was following a switch to a diamond, and it wasn't a straight swap for the striker, was it not?

Think that's the difference between this substitution and the past. Also helped it wasn't after 88minutes.

I could argue that I was really disappointed to see Martin playing the lone striker role, I could argue that I'm really shocked that a loan player who hasn't played a game jumps ahead of Sammon in the pecking order, yet Sammon gets the winner.

It's the same substitution we've made at least 6 times this season.

Ward coming off with 20 or so to go, Sammon coming on and roughing them up working his nuts off.

Please refer to the last list we spoke about in terms of timing of substitutions, I can't work out if you're deliberately ignoring what we talked about last week or if you're just trying to go on a wind up?

In todays climate I probably shouldn't mention that if you've forgotten that post already, then you've got the short term attention span of a monkey.

Just saying.

I found it refreshing that all substitutes were made within a time frame that gave the subs chance to influence the game.

Tactical masterstroke or not is up for debate but once Sammon was on their defenders came under more pressure and played more long balls which our centre backs, it also seemed to revitalize the midfield to push forward which ultimately led to our winner.

In summary...would we have seen that substitutiin pre Steve Mac...no.

Did the substitution win us the match...yes.

Was it more luck than judgement...probably...but fortune favours the brave!

Archived