Rams pub tour

HeyHudson

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondered if anyone on here is going to any of these meetings?

If so, what does anyone intend to ask? It's obvious that a lot of questions will get repeated so if people could put ideas out here, and also reports of what has already been asked, then hopefully everything will get covered.

I am going to attend one of the later ones so I guess most things will have already been covered by then.

PS - I am not Sam Rush doing my homework and making sure I am ready for any questions that may be asked! :ph34r:

In case anyone wasn't aware, Sam Rush and friends will be off on another tour of local ale houses soon.

14/10/13: The Bedford Arms, Derby (7pm with JV, SR & PS)
14/10/13: The Mile, Derby (9pm with JV, SR & PS)
16/10/13: The White Lion, Ripley (7pm with JV, SR & RD) 
21/10/13: The New Inn, Little Eaton (7pm with JV, SR & TBC) 
21/10/13: The New Bridge Inn, Shelton Lock (9pm with JV, SR & TBC) 
24/10/13: The Rose & Crown, Chellaston (7pm with JV, SR & SM) 
24/10/13: The Royal Telegraph (9pm with JV, SR & SM) 
04/11/13: The Needles, Alvaston (7pm with JV, SR & PS) 
04/11/13: The Exeter Arms, Derby (9pm with JV, SR & PS) 
05/11/13: The Vernon Arms, Spondon (7pm with JV, SR & RD) 
05/11/13: The Wilmot Arms, Spondon (9pm with JV, SR & RD) 
11/11/13: The Vine Inn, Tutbury (7pm with JV, SR & ES) 
11/11/13: The Hawk & Buckle, Etwall (9pm with JV, SR & ES)

JV = John Vicars 
SR = Sam Rush 
SM = Steve McLaren 
PS = Paul Simpson 
ES = Eric Steele 
RD = Roger Davies 
TBC = Guests To Be Confirmed 

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/marstons-pub-tour-visits-return-1103730.aspx

New Bridge Inn Shelton Lock he's feeling a bit brave isnt he? Someone also should tell him that not all Derby fans live in Derby the narrow minded tool

New Bridge Inn Shelton Lock he's feeling a bit brave isnt he? Someone also should tell him that not all Derby fans live in Derby the narrow minded tool

Jeez, it didn't take you long to go back to being a tool.

right, so I've finished eating, I'll try and give a brief rundown of what occured.

The first one was at the Bedford Arms, for anyone who doesn't know, it's a back-street boozer, in the Stocky area of Derby, not far from Rowditch, it's a small pub, on the end of a row of terraced houses. 

John Vicars, Sam Rush, Paul Simpson and Don Amott pulled up chairs near the darts board, the bloke who came from Chelsea to be Finance Director (Steve) was hovering in the background.

Immediately in the Bedford, notorious football fan 'Tommo' introduced himself, mentioned that all 30 people in the room were massive Derby fans and that in the last five years, the life has fallen out of the club and his lad, who had a season ticket since a toddler, and spent years telling him off for being negative, gave up this year. What was the club going to do? Another fan asked why clubs like West Brom and Southampton did so well, but Derby were left behind. Then a pissed up idiot stood up and started slating them for selling Will Hughes and lining their pockets. There was plenty of mention of money, and mention of no investment. It was quite rowdy, but good natured, but with people all talking over one another, it was hard for them to focus. The general feeling from Rush, who avoided being critical of Nigel Clough directly, was that Derby were lacking in too many areas. Coaching, Recruitment and Relationships.

With Coaching, his aim is that by putting together an elite team of coaches capable of getting the best out of the players and facilities.

With Recruitment, the aim is to employ a technical director whose role will be to create a network of scouts and a database of players who would be suited to coming in to the club at any given moment.

With the relationships, the aim is that the two others (coaching and recruitment) the biggest clubs would be willing to let us have their fringe players, as they will be well coached and looked after under the new 'elite' coaching team. As the champions league teams are carrying up to 50 players, this is untapped resource and Derby, with an excellent academy, coaching staff, training facilities and fanbase, would be a preferred club for the big clubs to send their players. This point was echoed a few times throughout the evening.

Don Amott was asked his role, and he said he was just a local and passionate fan who was putting money into the club, and offering advise when asked.

Paul Simpson rightly swerved any money questions, stating "I don't know and don't care about what money is available!" and eventually "you can keep asking, but I cannot answer!!".

Simpson was asked about where his priority was to strengthen the team, and he said that so far it was just depth, if certain players got injured or suspended, they're in trouble. Simmo also said that within 20 minutes of the Ipswich game, McClaren was aghast at how hard Will Hughes was being asked to work, and they needed to protect him and not play him for every game.

There were comparisons to other clubs. There was mention that clubs count season tickets as attendees even if they don't show up, and that for the Burnley and Ipswich games 3000 season ticket holders stayed away, and this worried them, but the Leeds game was justification for the change.

For the talk at the Mile, it was less rowdy and more questions were asked and answered. Rush was asked about his typical day, and what he did. Which he went through. He was asked his targets and what would make him a failure. He was asked who else was on the shortlist, but wouldn't name names, but said he had phonecalls from Premier League and higher (than Derby in the) Championship people wanting the job, and he was surprised.

Then the bit that was awesome, Simmo was asked something, I think it was "has anyone surprised you in training", but he went off on this big passionate and incisive speech about what they'd spotted in prozone, what they'd spotted in watching Watford, and what they need to combat and all this proper tactical stuff, it was amazing hearing someone so articulate talk about little things they'd spotted about formations, tactics and everything.

On the whole I recommend going to one of these, try and avoid getting sucked into moaning about money, and just talk about football and i'm buzzing.

Simmo! Simmo! Simmo!

Interesting that rush obviously didnt rate metgod as a coach?

Crap that they see our role as borrowing premier league fringe players....why?

Simmo! Simmo! Simmo!

Interesting that rush obviously didnt rate metgod as a coach?

Crap that they see our role as borrowing premier league fringe players....why?

They don't, but they said there needs to be a balance and the fact that the 'champions league clubs' hold squads of 50 and 60 players, hoarding the talent, why shouldn't Derby use it as an edge.

As for Metgod, I think if McClaren wanted him as coach, he'd remain as coach. Rush was keen to point out that he let McClaren put the team together.

Why not use it?..........i just don't believe in a series of jake livermores, tom carrolls, giles sunus etc

As for metgod....he'll be gone.

Obviously the reasons for dismissal related to nigel personally, therefore the others could not be sacked without incurring unfair dismissal. Presumably they will all be off to sheff utd pretty soon.

Said that all last season. Clough was destroying him.

He's getting stronger and developing physically.

Look how hendrick has developed physically too.....and bennett.

for the Burnley and Ipswich games 3000 season ticket holders stayed away, and this worried them, but the Leeds game was justification for the change.

Thanks for the excellent report Mostyn. Couple of things - what change were you referring to here?

Also the 3000 ST holders staying away - was that 1500 each game or 3000 each game? Seems a crazy high number, but then my guess would be a lot of those would be the free under 12 tickets. Burnley was the last weekend of the Summer Holidays and Ipswich was a night match, so a lot of young kids would be away.

That said - I'm a ST holder and I didn't go to the Burnley game. I had some stuff on and it was a lot of effort to re-arrange so I just didn't bother. 10 years ago I would have moved heaven and earth to make sure I didn't miss a game. That's probably indicative of a fair few people's feelings recently

Archived