No NC comments on sacking? (split thread)

PrivateDerby

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Cloughie kept it all to himself didn't he, true Gent.

Has he said anything at all? Statement? I'm not massively surprised, he's not known for his love of the media or one to want to make a scene. I suspect it's part of his contract to keep quiet too though but i wouldn't expect him to say owt even if it wasn't.

He must be bitterly disappointed though, i'm sure something will come out at some point even if it's not direct from Nigel.

Hope he can move on to a new challenge when the time is right.

Whenever I see a Nigel post I've got this song playing in my head...

Simon Bates, Our Tune. Used to love that.

But Nigel not saying owt has got nothing to do with money, maybe it's called being dignified?

It took his Dad 20 years to get his time leadiing and leaving Derby County fully into perspective.

Neither of them have ever let Derby (Rams and/or the city itself) ever leave them.

This both despite and because of their times both here and at Forest. (Get over it, it happens to be true!)

Now is again the time for Nigel to again make Brian and Barbara even more proud of him.

Good on you Nigel, say I.

This is just as bad as the no comments from Stateside thread, what on earth would Nigel have to say? Dignified, doing his parents proud, seriously?

I didn't make it a new thread did I? I put it in the main Clough's gone one!

Depends doesn't it, how he felt about the whole thing, the way they went about it etc.

Might not interest you or others but it does some. Most managers when sacked, most recently Di Cannio, find it nessessary to comment. Just thought about Nigel keeping everything to himself...

Not like I'm gagging for a Cloughie response mate, just interested as to what he thought about the whole thing.

Two sides of this,

He must be grateful of the board for giving him the chance in a higher division, and sticking by him through tough-times where there were genuine calls for his head - 5 years (nearly) in a management job is a lot, he was pushed to within the top 10 longest serving bosses in the country. He was given a chance that no other manager in his situation would have been given IMO, he was brought in to lift the club initially and don't think he was ever expected to do as well as he did.

On the other-hand, he was open about feeling good about this season - the fixture list at home was far from kind, if you had to pick 5 teams you would class as boggy sides for us, they all lined up in perfect sync. Blackburn, Leicester and Reading all have good teams, and have a history of doing well against us - as do Burnley and Ipswich, the 2-0 loss and 1-0 loss to them LAST season proves that. But, we improved the away form - which if we didn't would have left us in the bottom 3m comfortably - without doing much wrong, and that was the point. We haven't done much wrong - with the home games coming up, you think there is a good chance we'd have definitely picked up and won most of them, yet away from home with the games coming up you'd expect it to be a slog. I think Rush had a mind-set to change the fortunes of the club, and I think he tried to open him up to the idea and if Clough hadn't have been so unwilling to change, I think he would still be manager - Rush I feel just got frustrated and pulled the plug. 

So, I don't think Clough is the type of man to lament the club - he is in a much better position than he was when we picked him up from non-league and he has left the club with his reputation still very much in tact. He can go on and find a decent job, I'm sure of it - if he is patient enough he will find another championship club, this time will have more pressure on his shoulders and hope it works out for him.

I remember when some came on here saying Nigel treated former players badly (such as Hulse, Cywka, etc), people would use the lack of comments by those players as proof they had no ill feelings towards him. When Nigel doesn't say anything after being removed by the club then just due to his amazing dignity, rather than a lack of ill feelings. I'm not saying it's not, personally I don't think he likes the media very much and wouldn't comment if he wanted to, I just like the contradiction.

Anyhow, much ado about nothing. He hasn't commented, so? I'm not sure why this got out into its own thread. There's so many moans about "did we really need a new topic started for this" then someone, rightly just adds it to a current topic about Nigel and it gets split. (I'm not telling the mods how to do their job - just seems a strange decision)

I think it's disgusting of Nigel to not make any statement at all. HE does not need to comment about his feelings towards Rush/Glick/Appleby/Pearson/GSE etc, but I think a "I would like to thank those fans who were extremely patient with me and my team, very supportive and appreciative of our efforts and wish the club all the very best" wouldn't go amiss.

Derby fans have been divided for a while about Clough (and his coaching staff), and some of those fans were incredibly loyal to Clough.

As a man of personal dignity and decent principles, I am very surprised that Clough has yet to acknowledge those of you that did support him.

Archived