First home win at last . Massive relief

Curtains

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Whitbread who just got on with his job  -   allowing Keogh and Forsyth to get on with theirs  -   no coincidence that they both had their best games . The experience and reliable cover was there for them. And no coincidence that Jamie drove forward......... .

We couldn't keep playing better teams forever. I thought we would have beaten Ipswich until the disruption. It gets much easier at home now.

Leicester, Burnley and Reading are tough games full stop. Our record against them has been poor anyway.

I won't feel proper relief until I'm sure our away form is still what it was. I've got a horrible feeling that Steve might have waved his magic wand over the home form with some tweaking of personnel and a new formation, but will that have any sort of knock on effect with our away form. (Having said that, we've lost our two last away games in a row).

Mind you, if we can continue our good away form, as well as our obvious improvement at home, then for all Steve's careful long-termism, it really could make us a force to be reckoned with in this division, and the play offs await.

dont agree at all

You don't think we'd have beaten Leeds?

We've never started that badly in a game like we did Ipswich.

Our home form last season was good.

We haven't actually played that badly at home this season except Burnley.

We weren't that dominant v Leeds. But we just looked far more enthusiastic going forward.

You don't think we'd have beaten Leeds?

We've never started that badly in a game like we did Ipswich.

Our home form last season was good.

We haven't actually played that badly at home this season except Burnley.

We weren't that dominant v Leeds. But we just looked far more enthusiastic going forward.

I think the change at home has been down to tempo. We've looked to attack with a bit more purpose rather than just keep the ball and we seem to have pressed higher up the pitch leading to us gaining possession  in more dangerous areas (see 1st goal against Leeds)

Whether that's been a conscious tactical ploy or just different circumstances who knows but we definitely looked cautious for the first few games and failed to play with any great tempo.

I think the change at home has been down to tempo. We've looked to attack with a bit more purpose rather than just keep the ball and we seem to have pressed higher up the pitch leading to us gaining possession in more dangerous areas (see 1st goal against Leeds)

Whether that's been a conscious tactical ploy or just different circumstances who knows but we definitely looked cautious for the first few games and failed to play with any great tempo.

Yeah

I'd give credit to McClaren for that.

To be fair to Reading, Burnley and Leicester, this weeks fixtures against Ipswich and Leeds have been the first teams who haven't set up with a game plan to hit us on the counter whilst staying predominantly solid. Ipswich and especially Leeds were very open. Hence the 7 goals scored IMO... 

As we all saw last season, teams who come to PP and play that open football don't tend to do very well. 

Not taking anything away from our performances as we looked better on the ball and going forward but I think we'd have won at least one of the two games played this week anyway. 

A welcome win though and at a key time, takes a tad of pressure off and it now gives Steve 2 weeks away with the squad to really get to grips with it with a confident bunch of players. 

It's early days. It's only 1 game under McClaren and 2 without Nigel. I'm elated about the results and the positive things being said about the performance. Time will tell if this will prove to be a constant and we look like beating the better teams or not.

We are away against Watford next and as I've said in a previous thread - I'm going so there's only one result on the cards.

i think win next 2 games remaining in october and in november QPR i take a point from that shiffield wednesday at home take 3 points there and 3 points against bournemouth a 3 points there as well i think possable 16 points from ocotber and november games.

The change in class both home and away is ridiculous.

Next 5 home games..

Birmingham City, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Blackpool and Doncaster - I expect at least 13 points from the 15 available.

Next 5 away games..

Watford, QPR, Bournemouth, Wigan and Charlton - I'd bite your hands off for 6 points from them 15 available. 

which gives us 19 points which would roughly put us in and around the play-offs? 

The change in class both home and away is ridiculous.

Next 5 home games..

Birmingham City, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Blackpool and Doncaster - I expect at least 13 points from the 15 available.

Next 5 away games..

Watford, QPR, Bournemouth, Wigan and Charlton - I'd bite your hands off for 6 points from them 15 available. 

which gives us 19 points which would roughly put us in and around the play-offs? 

well we'd better do Bournemouth or I'll never hear the last of it..... :)

Archived