Could Sunderland do it again?

davenportram

I wonder if he's improved much? Not seen him on anything more than highlights.

I remember he used to be half decent with the ball. It was without it he became dodgy. The fact that Jay Mac was pushing on his place showed how good he was.

Unless he plays LB for Palace? Don't tell me they've not kept him going upfront?!?!

I've only seen him on highlights as well, but hasn't he already given two penalties away?

Did Clough sell him because he gave too many fouls away and picked up many bookings?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

11pts will never be beaten. It's disgustingly low.

It'll be beaten one day - but it might require a team to go into financial meltdown to do it.

I've only seen him on highlights as well, but hasn't he already given two penalties away?

Did Clough sell him because he gave too many fouls away and picked up many bookings?

I think Nige said something about him not improving as expected?

Technically he wasn't too bad so I imagine it was about his defensive game? Which was naive as Keogh but not half as good in the actual tackle

He must be getting murdered in the PL unless he's improved/protected.

I think Nige said something about him not improving as expected?

Technically he wasn't too bad so I imagine it was about his defensive game? Which was naive as Keogh but not half as good in the actual tackle

He must be getting murdered in the PL unless he's improved/protected.

Received a bit of praise for his offensive play but, obviously his defensive play needs a bit of work. Same as what I remember to be honest.

It'll be beaten one day - but it might require a team to go into financial meltdown to do it.

I think even if a team went into administration in the Premier League and were docked points then they would still be struggling to do worse than the 11 points "target" we set. I mean come on, its ridiculously pathetic - 38 league games we won one and drew 8 absoultely contemptable, out of 114 potential points we amassed 11. Thats not even 10%. Even if Davies and Jewell publically flogged themselves through the streets of Derby on a daily basis this would not be pennance enough.

I'm not sure how we did it.

Sunderland are ***** right? As are Palace. I'm not sure who they've played but if they can't muster 11pts off each other, Norwich, Villa, Fulham, Hull, Cardiff, Newcastle, Stoke.

3 home wins. 3 draws. I bet we could do that in the PL now.

Man, I hope one of them do it! I don't like their managers.

Was thinking tho how many times we missed out on points when we deserved more : Liverpool , Bolton, Man U, Fulham (twice), Blackburn (missed pen) , Portsmouth, etc etc

Although we were bad we were also unlucky too. So I spose it takes quite a lot to go wrong... its not just enough to be bad you also have to be unlucky. Injuries didnt help either Barnes and Mears were our best young players missed most of the season....but at the end of the day we just were nowhere near good enough.

It surprised me the likes of Blackpool and Hull managed to get as many points as they did. On paper they just sneaked into the playoffs, unlike Derby who could have won automatic promotion in another year. Also we spent more than they did but wasted it all on Clod etc.

So I guess someone like Palace could come a cropper and one of these days maybe someone will get a total pasting from the Prem teams.

I remember working it out back in the day and I think we dropped about 10 points in the last ten minutes of matches.

Just off the top of my head I can think of;

Liverpool at home: 1 point

Wigan away: 1 point

Newcastle away: 2 points

West Ham away: 1 point

Then there were those games were things just didn't go our way;

Chelsea at home; Miller screamer wrongly flagged offside, Chelsea's second featured a clear foul on Barnes

Liverpool at home; Barnes missed a sitter in the dying seconds, Liverpool break and score

Blackburn home; one up, Howard has a chance to make it 2, he misses the penalty and the game turns in it's head

Oh well it's all ifs and buts now, it would probably been unfair in Sunderland if we didn't break the record!

I remember working it out back in the day and I think we dropped about 10 points in the last ten minutes of matches.

Chelsea at home; Miller screamer wrongly flagged offside, Chelsea's second featured a clear foul on Barnes

Liverpool at home; Barnes missed a sitter in the dying seconds, Liverpool break and score

Blackburn home; one up, Howard has a chance to make it 2, he misses the penalty and the game turns in it's head

Oh well it's all ifs and buts now, it would probably been unfair in Sunderland if we didn't break the record!

Sunderland away and Bolton away were both lost in the last minute I think

I think even if a team went into administration in the Premier League and were docked points then they would still be struggling to do worse than the 11 points "target" we set. I mean come on, its ridiculously pathetic - 38 league games we won one and drew 8 absoultely contemptable, out of 114 potential points we amassed 11. Thats not even 10%. Even if Davies and Jewell publically flogged themselves through the streets of Derby on a daily basis this would not be pennance enough.

Be a start though.

Think the word clutching at straws comes to mind, we were so abjectly poor we didnt deserve any breaks as we didnt do anything constructive ourselves on the pitch to warrant it. We could have been given 20 penalties in the season and still ended up with 11 points.

Think the word clutching at straws comes to mind, we were so abjectly poor we didnt deserve any breaks as we didnt do anything constructive ourselves on the pitch to warrant it. We could have been given 20 penalties in the season and still ended up with 11 points.

But we scored at Old Trafford - not many teams managed that that season.

They'll beat it comfortably

But given the money, it will happen.. A side will go up completely unprepared and have a mare in the transfer market and just won't be able to compete..

I think Yeovil will go close to breaking the NPC record this season. Rotherham when they went down years ago were bloody awful and Yeovil seem as bad as them.. Although there is not alot they can do, they basically have the budget and players of a bottom of the table L1 side let alone the NPC.. They go to the big stadiums and are simply overwhelmed

Archived