Players frozen out by Clough

loughboroughRAM

Now that the Clough era is over and McLaren has taken over, I'm really hoping he'll give players that were frozen out by Clough (i.e. Bailey and to a certain extent Davies) a second chance at the first team. I know Davies started last night and for me he is one of the most underrated players at this club. With a new regime in place I'd like to at least see players like Bailey fight for their position in the starting XI as he especially could prove a useful player to help protect the defence and allow Hughes and Bryson to get further forward as Eustace did last night, who's with me?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davies has a good attitude and is clearly useful with set pieces and I've always quite liked Bailey but if we want to compete at a higher level, perhaps we should be looking at better

For me, the defence and another couple of midfielders (including a wide right) are the main areas we need to strengthen

Where do I sign?

I would like to see Bailey back, I always rated him, not sure what happened there.

Hopefully most of the frozen out players will be given a chance at some point. With McClarens man management they may even perform to their potential and be like new signings, or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I'm not going to change my opinion on Bailey just because Clough has gone.

He's weak in the tackle, doesn't really offer much in an attacking sense, can't play any position other than deep lying midfielder and then he needs someone next to him to do the donkey work. Lastly I wouldn't play him ahead of Bryson, Hendrick, Eustace or Hughes.

Well the "frozen out" list could be seen as

Jacobs

Bailey (when he's fit)

Freeman

Sammon???

Davies

I don't think there is a lot in that bunch to improve the team as it stands.

Davies- is a steady player who's inclusion would no doubt improve the set pieces but who would you drop for him?

Freeman- He's ok good backup with potential to be a first team regular in future. 

Bailey- Interesting one, used to be a decent player but pulled up no trees at Cov and Clough cast him aside. Can the mack get him back on track?

Sammon- Brings energy and does a job as a squad player but lacks quality.

Jacobs- Interesting one this. He's a player who looks to make things happen. Struggle's with defensive duties but that's not his primary job. Could he flourish under the new regime?

im not saying that they should all walk into the team ahead of other players but would like to see them given a chance at least to prove themselves, bailey for instance may not be our best player in the starting XI but imo is a useful player to have on the bench/as back up, rather than left to rot in the reserves etc. 

I'd say bailey was frozen out by a manager who signed him and was a positive link at the start of his early dcfc career? obviously this is just my opinion and no one has to agree but just thought it would be interesting to see what mclaren does with such players and everyone else's thoughts as i haven't seen a thread on this topic yet

Bailey was 'frozen out' as he is miles behind his center midfield counterparts.

I'd like to see Jacobs get more games. Having watch him at Northampton the boy is quality at getting forward and the defensive side of things wasn't as big of an issue there as it is here. He does need to track back more often but our fullbacks need to, erm, start defending better as well. I can see why Clough used him as a sub in that aspect as you don't want a winger with no defensive capabilities playing in front of a very fragile defence. 

im not saying that they should all walk into the team ahead of other players but would like to see them given a chance at least to prove themselves, bailey for instance may not be our best player in the starting XI but imo is a useful player to have on the bench/as back up, rather than left to rot in the reserves etc. I'd say bailey was frozen out by a manager who signed him and was a positive link at the start of his early dcfc career? obviously this is just my opinion and no one has to agree but just thought it would be interesting to see what mclaren does with such players and everyone else's thoughts as i haven't seen a thread on this topic yet
To be fair to Nigel, it wasn't a question of Bailey being a bad player more that he rated Hendrick, Hughes & Bryson ahead of him. When he was first dropped I tore my hair out trying to see why he played Hendrick ahead of him but the lad has come on leaps and bounds the last 12 months. Interesting question - If everyone was fit and Schteve decided 4-3-3 was the way to go. What would your XI be??? For me --------------Grant Smith-----Barker---Buxton-----Forsyth -------Hughes---Hendrick---Bryson -----Russell----Martin--------Jacobs And before you say it, yes, no Jamie Ward as I think he's very poor so far this season. Same goes for Keogh.

I agree that Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson are ahead of Bailey but for Bailey to not get a place on the bench or even a squad number just seems odd for me as I liked him. He had a great eye for a pass. He's not a complete midfielder but he could certainly do a job. Be nice for him, Jacobs, Etc (I type etc as I can't think of any others) to get a fresh start as it were.

Bailey is injured I believe. Seems like he had some clash with Clough. Players that did never got back in the side again. He has to rebuild his career when he gets fit. Not sure if it will be here but he should be given a chance. All the players will have to prove their worth from scratch anyway.

Archived