October Games

froggg

Special cases..

Carlos Vela moved to Arsenal when he was 16.. He'd never played for the Mexican first team. The same goes for Chicharito and Man Utd.. He'd barely played..

Oh and the Da Silva twins.. Never played for Brazil.

The big sides can buy whoever they like... The smaller sides get shafted.

Agreed...Yakubu Ayigbeni comes to mind.

I would love to know who gets to decide and what criteria they apply.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Iceland drew 1-1 in Norway - they were the 6th seeds in their group and they have now reached the playoffs of a major championship for the first time in their history.

Referee Felix Brych awarded a freak goal that should never have stood as Sami Hyypia's Bayer Leverkusen went to the top of the Bundesliga with a 2-1 victory over Hoffenheim.

Stefan Kiessling's header for Bayer Leverkusen missed the target and the striker even held his head in frustration, but somehow the ball crept through the side-netting and Brych signalled a goal.

Leverkusen accepted the gift, that put them two goals ahead and on the way to victory, but it will spark post-match controversy.

Sidney Sam had given Leverkusen a first-half lead, and Kiessling's bizarre goal meant Sven Schipplock's late reply was worthless to the hosts.

Sam struck in the 26th minute with a low shot from outside the penalty area beyond Koen Casteels.

The second goal is guaranteed a place in football history for being a refereeing blunder, and it remained to be seen whether Hoffenheim would file a complaint.

Kiessling rose to meet a corner delivered from the left by Gonzalo Castros and headed the ball into the side-netting. Implausibly, the ball managed to burst through a small hole in the net and rippled the inside of the goal.

Since the ball emerged as if it had crossed the line, the referee awarded the goal and Kiessling's initial dismay at his miss turned to a mixture of joy and embarrassment.

Several Hoffenheim substitutes raced behind the goal to examine the netting for themselves, calling the attention of the referee to a small hole where the ball had entered, but the official was then powerless to overrule his original decision.

He made amends to a certain extent by awarding a generous penalty when Roberto Firmino was fouled a foot outside the penalty area.

Firmino's spot-kick was saved and his rebound hit the post with Omer Toprak striking the rebound back against the woodwork in another dramatic turn of events.

Schipplock managed to head in a consolation, but it came too late to give the home side a chance to get back on level terms.

They didn't complain because they didn't know.

The only person who actually seems to question it is the scorer himself, the reaction of every other player including the keeper is the same as for any normal goal.

If I was watching it in real time I certainly wouldn't realise, unless I was in the stadium and sat directly behind the goal in line with it.

They have subsequently requested the match be replayed, of course.

Explain how the ball got through the net? I don't understand! 

I don't know but clearly one of the Hoffenheim players knew it went wide or else he wouldn't run back like that after conceding a goal..

Yet he never approached the referee

Also I'm looking for the hole yet on I can't see one from the few angles shown.. Camera trickery here folks!

Archived