Why cant NC ever accept any blame ?

sausagemeat

Like I said, different personalities and any good boss would get a character reference before offering employment.

Geez, I imagine the crazy world of professional football might be a little different than some nothing office where the likes of me and you work.

If my boss wanted to employee a typist, they would probably look to recruit a competent typist with good references.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez, I imagine the crazy world of professional football might be a little different than some nothing office where the likes of me and you work.

If my boss wanted to employee a typist, they would probably look to recruit a competent typist with good references.

Don't see why it shouldn't be infact an investment in a professional footballer is more of a risk that a hiring a typist which we can get rid of before the probationary period anyway. 

Of course I guess it doesn't matter because unless you have a got a director of football setup or a secure manager like Moyes @ Everton, NC @ Derby, Fergie @ Man Utd. The other managers won't give two hoots about this as they probably know they could be off after 6 months if they don't get a player in.

I like some the things NC does, but some things just grate on me like the criticism of players (I'd just rather he say nothing to the media and have a go at the player in the dressing room, I'm not too fussed about him admitting fault, after all every manager just blames the ref after a poor result).

Don't see why it shouldn't be infact an investment in a professional footballer is more of a risk that a hiring a typist which we can get rid of before the probationary period anyway. 

Of course I guess it doesn't matter because unless you have a got a director of football setup or a secure manager like Moyes @ Everton, NC @ Derby, Fergie @ Man Utd. The other managers won't give two hoots about this as they probably know they could be off after 6 months if they don't get a player in.

I like some the things NC does, but some things just grate on me like the criticism of players (I'd just rather he say nothing to the media and have a go at the player in the dressing room, I'm not too fussed about him admitting fault, after all every manager just blames the ref after a poor result).

What the more sensitive on here look on as criticizing players, I look on as the manager giving an honest answer to direct questions. I really like his honesty in interviews, it doesn't make me think any less of the players and I have never heard of any player being upset by it. They are happy to earn extremely large sums of money in the public eye so should be prepared to accept the managers comments whether of a positive nature or otherwise in the public eye. Being a professional footballer is nothing like working in an office / factory /call centre etc.

What the more sensitive on here look on as criticizing players, I look on as the manager giving an honest answer to direct questions. I really like his honesty in interviews, it doesn't make me think any less of the players and I have never heard of any player being upset by it. They are happy to earn extremely large sums of money in the public eye so should be prepared to accept the managers comments whether of a positive nature or otherwise in the public eye. Being a professional footballer is nothing like working in an office / factory /call centre etc.

So you'd be happy with Nigel Clough getting the same from Sam Rush?

So you'd be happy with Nigel Clough getting the same from Sam Rush?

That would be up to Sam Rush, but Nigel Clough isn't out there on the playing field not keeping to instructions - the players are and being paid very handsomely for it. have you heard of any player at Derby being upset by a Clough interview, it is only on here that it ever seems to get mentioned. 

That would be up to Sam Rush, but Nigel Clough isn't out there on the playing field not keeping to instructions - the players are and being paid very handsomely for it. have you heard of any player at Derby being upset by a Clough interview, it is only on here that it ever seems to get mentioned. 

Never came out and said it but some players have come out not said nice things about NC, but Brayford won't have a bad word said about him.

I don't expect NC to get on with all his players and I expect 1 or 2 bombed players every season but there still seems a lack of stability in some parts of the squad which after 5 years of a manager it should be 3 players in, 3 players out max.

If NC was perfect we would be promoted already and I think everyone agrees there are good and bad things about the manager, just everyone differs and how many are on each side and how to deal with these faults, personally I'm neither in or out as I have several things I like about him but several things he could do without.

But my opinion does not count, it is the boards views on his ability and the players faith in his tactics/team selections that will dictate his fate.

I don't see why he needs to come out and take blame. He doesn't come out and take all the credit when we pull off a good result.

For every "poor standard" player worth noting he's bought there's been a good player purchased. His buys are pretty much even for success and failure.

We've not looked like promotion material despite finishing close a few times in reality, nor have we looked certs for relegation despite finishing safely with only a few games to spare.

His tactics can sometimes be annoying and the wrong choice but they're also good from time to time, probably just as good as they are bad.

He doesn't get over the top praise, he gets praise for where we're at. A manager dealing with a tight budget and trying to bring through youth players from our academy philosophy, developed when he, his coaches and the board decided on it 5 years ago.

He's pretty standard and I don't think many people believe he's much better than that. I don't see why he should be thought any more or less of than that because he's proved over the last 5 years that he's an alright manager at this level.

Whilst I'm in no rush to get back to the holy grail of PL football I would like Nige to push on this year/next year so we can see if he's the man to take us further forward.

I'd also like to see him given a better budget to compete with the 10 or so clubs that outspend us on transfers and wages annually.

Can anyone give examples of managers accepting blames or talking about their errors on a regular basis while they are still in the job?

There are millions, just can't think of any! Can you imagine what it would be like on here if we lost and Clough said "all the players carried out my instructions to total perfection but alas, my tactics were totally off and it was all my fault".

Another thing with Clough is that not only does he blame the players for defeats, he also praises them when we win. How two faced!

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has accepted responsibility for his side’s shock2-1 Champions League defeat against FC Basel.

josemourinhotouchlinewoevbasel20130918_2
GettyImagesJose Mourinho has taken the blame for Chelsea's 2-1 loss.

And the 50-year-old has challenged his players to show their ‘character’ when they return to action in the Premier League against Fulham on Saturday.

Blues owner Roman Abramovich paid a visit to Mourinho’s dressing room after their 2-1 upset defeat at Stamford Bridge, greeted by a manager who was content to accept blame for the upset result.

“I am the manager, I am responsible for everything, especially in the bad moments,” Mourinho told Sky Sports.

“In the good moments I want everyone to shine. In the bad moments, I want everyone to keep calm, to keep in the shadow and let me take responsibility for that.

“Of course we are not happy, but to play football in good moments is good fun and is easy for everybody. In the difficult moment is when you see the man, when you see the character, the personality. So let’s wait for Fulham and try to clean what we couldn’t do today.

“I will wake up at 7am in the morning, I go to Cobham (Chelsea training

ground) and try to get three points against Fulham. In the Champions League, we go to Bucharest next and then we have a double fixture against Schalke and we have to get the points we need to make progress in the Champions League because we don’t want to be in the Europa League.”

Mourinho insisted he did not regret the changes he made to his line-up after he handed a debut to Willian and dropped skipper John Terry to the bench, suggesting he needs to amend his line-up on a regular basis.

“I rotate because I have to,” stressed Mourinho. “I kept the structure of the team and the players must feel the responsibility of fighting for positions and to give their best performance. It was not individual performances that cost us this game.

“I’m not in shock. Football is a game, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. You think you will win every game, but the reality is that sometimes you don’t win. I’m not happy of course. We have taken a step back in qualification, but we have to assume responsibility. We have five games left and we have to finish in the top two.

“Basel played very well. They defend very well. We had a lot of the ball, but we couldn’t create many, many chances.

“We got into good attacking positions, got lots of corners, but we couldn’t create chances in the first half. Then Basel equalised at our best moment of the game. Oscar had an amazing shot and we had some other good opportunities and after that, we were punished defensively.

“We are strong at defending corners. Emotionally this is not a very mature team and when you are in a difficult situation, they reacted with some heart, but it was not enough.”

Sorry I'm at a loss as to why anyone would think he should come out and blame himself? That would be odd to say the least. I wouldn't expect him to publicly come out and blame himself. There seems to be nothing he can do right with some people

I see it more as "why does the manager always 'pass on' any blame to players and not absorb it himself?

I see it more as "why does the manager always 'pass on' any blame to players and not absorb it himself?

I don't mind so much if he comes on post match and says stuff about the team in general, such as "we lacked a cutting edge", "we didn't do enough with the ball", "we weren't solid defensively" the only issue I've ever had is singling out a player post match, that I don't like (well that and the "errrr's" but he can't change that). I still wouldn't expect him to come out and say "I made a mistake" I don't think he needs to.

Archived