Is Cloughie stubborn over certain players because of the Clough tag

Curtains

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh, Buxton, Freeman, Grant, Hughes, Ward and Coutts 

were poor, no hiding from it - to single one player out was ridiculous - showed poor man-management! 

He also indicated that Russell missed the penalty and 2 chances, I make that 2 with Freeman.

You don't include Forsyth in your list, his defending is abysmal at times and poor most of the rest of the time, also Martin obviously has a penchant for his hobby [vermiculture], if a defender breathes on him he goes down which is neither clever nor endearing him to many supporters.

To be honest it would make me want to get out there and show him how good I can be.

I don't mind it personally. The public criticisms. I think players a pampered enough. I get fed up of the same interviews too from other managers.

If Freeman doesn't like it then play better. He's got nothing to argue about. None of them have. They got beat 3-0 at home by an average side. Nobody should accept a 3-0 defeat at home on this league.

As for Nige, I'm sure he often recognises his mistakes but to come out and admit them would be a bad move. He needs to appear confident and strong in his decisions. As far as the players need to know, Nigel is always right.

I don't think anyone can say they aren't to blame yesterday. Manager, players... there was very little done right.

My biggest problem with his criticism is that it is rarely if ever a fair reflection of events.

Was freeman espescially bad and to blame for the defeat? Not at all, I can barely think of anyone

who covered themselves in glory yesterday.

Buxton seems to constantly escape criticism, as does Keogh.

Personally feel Jacobs gets a rough ride at times from Clough as well. Poor management yesterday

My biggest problem with his criticism is that it is rarely if ever a fair reflection of events.

Was freeman espescially bad and to blame for the defeat? Not at all, I can barely think of anyone

Personally feel Jacobs gets a rough ride at times from Clough as well. Poor management yesterday

Poor man management for the last 4 years to be honest. Clough simply is not good enough and it's about time the club made a change.

But wasn't he specifically asked about Freeman?

Its like the Cywka thing. Some were annoyed that he publicly slated Cywka. Others were just annoyed that what he wants from his players is to hoof into corners. Others didnt see anything wrong.

Thing is if you ask Nigel where it went wrong 10 mins after the final whistle then he tells you. He doesn't do the textbook answers. Neither does Mourinho or Di Canio etc.

Do people want the textbook answers or what he thinks. What did we say about people 10mins after the game?

I care about how Freeman will be treated. I thought Cywka was good enough to be in the squad after that. I think Freeman should be given another chance. If he isn't and Smith steps in then I hope to see him on a similar knife edge and Freeman pounce on his place.

So long as Freeman isn't put on the naughty step and sent to Coventry I don't see any harm.

Poor man management for the last 4 years to be honest. Clough simply is not good enough and it's about time the club made a change.

Fair enough but he won't be sacked. If enough people want him out they need to make a move. That includes when we are beating Yeovil 3-0.

Imo he's just average so far. And I personally can't slate him or rate him. I can't bring myself to chase the man (not the manager) out because he's neither good nor bad. If it was Nigel Pearson then yes. But they chose wisely when they chose Clough.

He's got a lot to prove but he's not failed at anything.

Fair enough but he won't be sacked. If enough people want him out they need to make a move. That includes when we are beating Yeovil 3-0.

Imo he's just average so far. And I personally can't slate him or rate him. I can't bring myself to chase the man (not the manager) out because he's neither good nor bad. If it was Nigel Pearson then yes. But they chose wisely when they chose Clough.

Very measured response. Now, if his name was Nigel Pearson do you think he would still have a job though?

Its like the Cywka thing. Some were annoyed that he publicly slated Cywka. Others were just annoyed that what he wants from his players is to hoof into corners. Others didnt see anything wrong.

Thing is if you ask Nigel where it went wrong 10 mins after the final whistle then he tells you. He doesn't do the textbook answers. Neither does Mourinho or Di Canio etc.

Do people want the textbook answers or what he thinks. What did we say about people 10mins after the game?

I care about how Freeman will be treated. I thought Cywka was good enough to be in the squad after that. I think Freeman should be given another chance. If he isn't and Smith steps in then I hope to see him on a similar knife edge and Freeman pounce on his place.

So long as Freeman isn't put on the naughty step and sent to Coventry I don't see any harm.

The point is on this occasion, and when he singled out both Cywka and then Green, neither were directly responsible for anything. On all 3 (or 4 if you count both Burnley goals) examples where Clough blames someone, there were at least 3 or 4 other players AFTER the so-called mistake (I must add there are 100 mistakes made per game by each and every Derby player) who could/should/might have dealt with the problem.

Opposition players often lose the ball to Derby players near halfway, but very very very very rarely does a goal come from it.

it was all-round rank bad defending from Derby as a team! To single any player out in public is unprofessional and embarrassing.

It puts further pressure on a young and upcoming player, it shows a lack of cohesion at Derby, and it shows that Nigel is lacking in compassion, understanding and man-management.

Freeman has been our best player until Saturday, however will lose his place instantly due to having competition in his position. Where as Keogh, Buxton and Forsyth are 99% certain to play regardless of form due to lack of options

I think Nigel has shown that he has reached the limit of his abilities at Derby. He simply isn't the man to take us to the next level; he just doesn't have it, and I wish he would take a long look at himself and realise this. If it carries on like this he will end up damaging his own reputation and any credit he deserves for his efforts in stabilising the club.

Freeman headed back across goal for the second - directly his fault. If no call comes from the keeper out out for a corner.

I have watched the first again, his running was as if he was covering a guy wide on our right - there was no Burnley player there. He should have altered his run to assist Buxton add pressure on the striker. Buxton had shepherded their player to the outside where the right back should have been to assist - he wasn't.

It feels very make or break this season! If we have a poor season Hughes will leave and may not be loaned back, his price will not rise if we play in a poor side. Same with Hendrick. It feels like our best chance to progress for years, it will be the final straw for many fans if we struggle.

Time for Clough to make tough decisions, no room for sentiment. I mean that as regards to the whole season rather than as a reaction to yesterday. Waiting for barker being a prime example, we can't put defensive/team progression on hold for two years whilst barker recovers. He needed to be replaced ASAP post injury.

If Cloughs hands are tied financially then maybe the time has come to be honest with the fans rather than tired old "happy with what we've got" lines. If he genuinely is content with our squad then it shows an astonishing lack of ambition. If he thinks we're top six but can still add players then do it! Go for top two!! Do anything but stand still which we seem to have for five years now

I think Nigel has shown that he has reached the limit of his abilities at Derby. He simply isn't the man to take us to the next level; he just doesn't have it, and I wish he would take a long look at himself and realise this. If it carries on like this he will end up damaging his own reputation and any credit he deserves for his efforts in stabilising the club.

Bit early to call after 5 games in my opinion - we've had 2 good away performances so far this season, 2 ordinary displays & one very bad day. Understandable after yesterday's debacle but there's a lot of knee-jerk reaction on here. This is the first season we expect a top 6 push & I'm happy to give him until at least Christmas to see where we are. Only then can we really start to make a fair assessment of whether he has the ability to "take us to the next level"

Re the Freeman comments - this is one area of Nigel's management which drives me up the wall. Its unacceptable, totally unhelpful & invariably aimed at the younger members of the squad. By all means slaughter them in the changing rooms but publically lambasting & naming individual players shows a shocking lack of judgement.

Archived