Is Cloughie stubborn over certain players because of the Clough tag

Curtains

On the Freeman issue I really don't see the problem. He played poorly, and Clough explained this is the reason he was taken off.

The only thing that worries me was that there was a interview with Clough midweek where he said something along the lines of 'we've brought Adam Smith here to play but Kieran hasn't made any mistakes yet so deserves to be in the team'. Not his exact words but something along them lines, basically sounded like as soon as Freeman had made a mistake he was out of the team. Maybe Clough is under pressure from Tottenham to give Smith game time, who knows.

Also find it funny when people say he shouldn't slate Freeman in public and follow it up with 'why doesn't he slate Buxton/Keogh because he was crap'!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Freeman issue I really don't see the problem. He played poorly, and Clough explained this is the reason he was taken off.

The only thing that worries me was that there was a interview with Clough midweek where he said something along the lines of 'we've brought Adam Smith here to play but Kieran hasn't made any mistakes yet so deserves to be in the team'. Not his exact words but something along them lines, basically sounded like as soon as Freeman had made a mistake he was out of the team. Maybe Clough is under pressure from Tottenham to give Smith game time, who knows.

Also find it funny when people say he shouldn't slate Freeman in public and follow it up with 'why doesn't he slate Buxton/Keogh because he was crap'!

I think (I hope because otherwise it's not fair) that Nigel has also spoken that there is very little between them and Smith is waiting on Freeman to make an error then it will be up to Freeman to wait.

I'd imagine Freeman stands a good chance of getting his place back unless Smith looks the shizzle.

If only there was similar compettition along all the back line. Suppose only PL teams can have that luxury. P

YOU may think that, but as Mr Asanovic is quick to point out (when it suits his argument), we are not in the industry, so don't know.

Can you provide an example of a successful manager criticising a player who went on to perform under the same manager.

You won't have examples of crumbling as such, you tend to find criticised players tend to leave, or the manager does not long after the criticism, as turning on your players is usually the last desperate attempt of a failing manager to earn more time.

NC is refreshingly honest with his post match interviews. I don't see anyone who has been nominated for comment suddenly shipped out. On the contrary, things that have happened in the background are very much kept under wraps and supporters kept guessing as to what has happened. This team has got a great camaraderie which suggests that they are not unhappy with the manager and are positive about his management style.

bet you had a damp patch just typing that Mostyn.... :p

not at all, that would mean losing games against Notts Forest and Leeds, and I'm not sure any amount of me wanting Clough replaced by someone better would be worth me sacrificing the joy of walking away from the city ground with 3 points!

NC is refreshingly honest with his post match interviews. I don't see anyone who has been nominated for comment suddenly shipped out. On the contrary, things that have happened in the background are very much kept under wraps and supporters kept guessing as to what has happened. This team has got a great camaraderie which suggests that they are not unhappy with the manager and are positive about his management style.

Why has the team got great camaraderie? It's no different to any other from what I've seen. Is it as the players say to the media that everything is great and what a great set of lads we have, every player that at every club. Players only complain when they are out of the team, sold it a new manager comes in, it's always been the same.

Why has the team got great camaraderie? It's no different to any other from what I've seen. Is it as the players say to the media that everything is great and what a great set of lads we have, every player that at every club. Players only complain when they are out of the team, sold it a new manager comes in, it's always been the same.

Because they form a group huddle before the match of course! God that really annoys me!

Agree with what you say.

If anything there must be some unhappy people around the camp if they are not told why they are not involved, as per Tyson in this morning's DET.

some of the best players never train

I'm fairiy sure they've all earned that right thought Mostyn.

It's not like they got to be world class players by not training or not trying in training.

In fact it's more likely down to the fact they trained and played with incredible amounts of intensity and consistency over a good few year period.

If you're not showing class in a championship sides training or matchday squad then I don't think you could have any complaints at all about a manger not picking them.

We're not exactly blessed with Paul McGrath/Rio Ferdinand types who need to nurse themselves through the week.

just saying that what goes on in training is not the be all and end all. What happens on the pitch HAS to be.

I don't think anyone would argue with that one, as important as training time is you don't get given any points for that. That said, hopefully they are working out at Moor Farm how to go about breaking teams down you just try and stifle our football.

I can remember Jim Smith having the pitch narrowed, perhaps we could look at widening it as much as possible  :ph34r:

Archived