I don't rate Craig Forsyth

ChaddesdenRam

I said this before he signed but I don't think he is good enough for a top 6 push.

I hope I am proved wrong but whenever he gets given the ball it takes him ages to get it onto his left foot and by that time there are no inside passing options available. Instead he either gives it to Bucko or Grant, or just hoofs it down the line.

Fair enough I 100% agree that his aerial presence will mean we will concede less from set plays this season and his crossing ability is very good.

However I question his defensive positioning and pace.

It may take him 10-15 games to become suited in the role and comfortable on the ball etc.

Thoughts?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said this before he signed but I don't think he is good enough for a top 6 push.

I hope I am proved wrong but whenever he gets given the ball it takes him ages to get it onto his left foot and by that time there are no inside passing options available. Instead he either gives it to Bucko or Grant, or just hoofs it down the line.

Fair enough I 100% agree that his aerial presence will mean we will concede less from set plays this season and his crossing ability is very good.

It may take him 10-15 games to become suited in the role and comfortable on the ball etc.

Thoughts?

Exactly, give him time and he'll be fine.

I actually thought getting him in was probably the top bit of transfer activity we had.

Maybe the fact that we have been so weak in that position plays a part but he's a top half capable player and a lot better than Jay Mc was.

His only weakness i feel is his pace and sometimes can be slow to release the ball as you say but he's steady, for a slight chap he wins the ball in the air and can get forward.

A lot more positive than negatives especially compared to Keogh's distribution so far this season as many people feel he's top six.

Thoughts?

he doesnt get beat that often at the back - he actually tries and succeeds to block crosses coming in. Against Blackburn I think he let one cross past him and then the centre halves didnt do their job and they scored.

Personally for me it is going forward that I dont like - he seems sow in overlapping the midfield holding back our attacks.

think you're being very harsh here Shabash.

There aren't actually many players at this level that can play the role that Forsyth is being asked to play.

Let's be honest, in our team, a lot is expected of our full backs, more so than any other full-backs I've seen at this level.

He'd look a good player in every other team at this level, and take out the three of four passes he lost control of that trickled out for a Leicester throw in, he didn't do anything wrong for saying he was both isolated and exposed.

First time in his career he's been first choice, he's young and will make mistakes but we're in August. Yeah he's been on loan but he's now a Derby player, look at Chris Martin now compared to when he was on loan. Give the lad a chance, if we write players off now then what's the point, may as well all give up now.

Thoughts?

I just think some fans expect too much. I was at the Leicester game and I thought our level of expectation was generally too high. You get what you pay for [generally] and we didn't break the bank for him. He's steady, relatively cheap and doesn't look out of place for me. I'm talking about a team that I expect to finish 8th -12th though. That's probably the difference between us :)

I think he's a good signing, tall, good in the tackle and for the first time we have a left back who can cross. Give him time to bed in and lose the nerves, get him used to what Nigel wants him to do and it could turn out to be an astute bit of business.

Defensive positioning he is as solid as I can remember, and he is a good footballer.

He is quite slow, however, and makes really poor decisions on the ball. 

I said before and I'll stick by it - I think he definitely is a diamond in the rough, fantastic defensive positioning and his crossing capabilities are second to none. His pace obviously lets him down, but for me his decision making at the minute is the real crime in his game - once he settles in and relaxes I hope he gets better. 

I certainly haven't written him off, he could be moulded into an excellent left back.

This thread wasn't just created on the back of that Leicester performance I had taken into account his previous loan spell and the whole of the start to this season.

My only concern is can we wait that long for him to be fully accomplished in the position?

He did have a fantastic game away at Brighton and maybe it's a case of him getting a few good performances away from home such as Oldham and Brighton before he has the confidence at home with the derby fans. Usually you would have thought players would thrive better on being at home maybe at the moment it is acting as a deterrent for him with fans moaning when he does something wrong. Because derby fans have to have someone to moan at after all and now Sammon is out the limelight Forsyth is our worse player in the startin XI so I guess that means he will get some unfair criticism.

I thought he did alright v leicester, not beaten often and a couple of times coming away with the ball and getting us going.

His ball in first half that Morgan through himself at, it was an absolute peach of a cross and we all know he's capable of putting a great ball in. His run and shot for the Coutts through ball shows he will get forward if we're comfortable in possession, the fact that he looked up and wanted to square it, shows he's got a bit of composure as well.

Having said that, I think he started the season really poorly, gave the ball way so much in the first 3 games and generally was way to sloppy with the ball. He got better second half at Brighton and improved again v Leicester,

I'm not totally convinced yet but I think he'll be ok. He's got a good attitude as well and that counts for a lot in my eyes.

I know a bit from inside....At Watford before the new board took over and Zola was put in charge he was thought of as a really promising young player,who was signed by Sean Dyche, he was versatile, scored goals and had a sweet left foot, they tried him in CB, LB, LM, and even as a striker ! 

He apparently wasn't 'sensational' enough for the new Italian owners,( he's a quiet lad) so they didnt play him, then sent him on loan to Bradford..... confidence shattered ( but recomeneded)  he came to us,and did enough to prove to NC he was worth a punt...... He apparenntly was really happy we 'valued' him and he is improving bit by bit as his confidence grows, and wants to pull on the shirt and prove himself, he is young and hopefully will be 'valued' by the fans in time.......

Archived