Derby County v Leicester City

-JW-

No, they are my ratings. Say whatever you want about them but remember, they're based on opinion, just like yours are. Maybe I saw different parts of the players contributions than you? Maybe you're in a bad mood because of the result? Maybe I appreciate the players' contributions more than yourself.

Fair enough, I guess. It's just that most people on here seem to think (myself included) that, in general, it was a poor performance. That suggests to me that there won't be many players coming out with a 7+ rating.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair enough, I guess. It's just that most people on here seem to think (myself included) that, in general, it was a poor performance. That suggests to me that there won't be many players coming out with a 7+ rating.

I think it's partly because I'm a big fan of passing football. Today the team kept it on the ground and passed it around well so a few players got bonus points because of that I suppose. I think its fair to say though, that none of us really know the true ratings of the players. I for one will watch the replays before I make my opinion on the performance definitive. Should have calmed down and removed the emotion from it all.

This is the thing I've noticed about Manchester since I moved up here.

Here, you get people of all ages mixing together and singing songs all over the city. Granted, it's a big Urban area, but the age thing is essential to how their fan base and song creation works.

Most of them are created by 30+ people.

In Derby, particularly in that singing area or 'the barmy army', most of them are barely in their 20's. That was my experience anyway, very young people.

You just don't get that in Derby, it's very stiff upper lip kinda thing. Mancunians (City) are far more relaxed about how they support their club than Derby.

The guy I was talking to today was well into his 40's, and he's like a kid at christmas about Cities season. 8 hours straight of City this, City that. Showing me songs on youtube etc.., he's loving it.

Sounds spot on.

A lot of people my sort of age/ 18-25 dont really understand the 'culture' or whatever you want to call it. You see a lot of them at our games probably hence the cheesy/repetitive/recycled crap that we sing. 

Frustrating that we don't seem urgent to strengthen our weakest position of centre half.

Liverpool rushed out & s******d 100m on players,

only to find they were actually worth 35m & werent better than what they'd got.

Given our financial situation better to wait for the right player at the right price

- which seems to be what we're doing.

Sounds spot on.

A lot of people my sort of age/ 18-25 dont really understand the 'culture' or whatever you want to call it. You see a lot of them at our games probably hence the cheesy/repetitive/recycled crap that we sing.

Probably doesn't help that all mainstream music is now total recycled crap. Britpop era was probably the end of sometimes decent tunes been really well known by the masses.

I think it's partly because I'm a big fan of passing football. Today the team kept it on the ground and passed it around well so a few players got bonus points because of that I suppose. I think its fair to say though, that none of us really know the true ratings of the players. I for one will watch the replays before I make my opinion on the performance definitive. Should have calmed down and removed the emotion from it all.

I agree. I honestly think if people watch it back they'll find the performance quite decent. Short on open chances but there are easier games than Leicester. I mean usually we just take a hammering and ignore it and move on. Their record at PP is quite impressive. Ours at their place also makes an impression...

Very true. If we had lost to Brighton and won today we would all be quite happy. I think 4 points after the first 3 games was realistically what we were looking at.

i agree, win against blackburn, draw against leicester and a loss against brighton. so we would have still have the same amount of points that we do now.

We are definitely lacking at the back though, our inability to deal with crosses inside the box has already cost us three goals and a lot of near misses.

Keogh made a couple of bad errors first half, giving the ball away in dangerous areas, but I cannot understand why people say it is he who would be dropped if we got a new centre back.

If you polled the championship centre forwards who they'd rather play against, Keogh or Buxton, they would overwhelmingly say Buxton. Keogh has to play, end of story. He can pass, he can control the ball, he can dribble, he has composure, he can organise, he can lead.

Buxton gives 100% every game but is very limited as a footballer. Get a grip people, please.

That view is becoming increasingly outdated Andy.

It's Buxton who is composed on the ball now. At the moment you're right, he has to play, but only because we very few alternatives.

I think Keogh is one of the weakest captains I've seen at Derby. He has never struck me as a leader who inspires the players, grab a game by it's balls and turn it round. Infact the thing I see him do most is moaning. We wouldn't miss his 'presence' if he wasn't in the team.

Buxton has blossomed into a good CB at this level. That was clear for everyone to see yesterday, and nearly all of last season. I never feel like we're in danger with the ball at his feet. He makes good decisions in possession - I struggle to say the same about Keogh at the moment.

Just reading this back and it looks like a Keogh hate-in. Not at all. I think he's a good defender who carries a goal scoring threat and that's valuable. He's in a bit of 'bad moment' (to coin Mourinho/Ancelotti), but I think he'll come good again. I just think Buxton is more reliable right now.

My view is that the only thing Buxton has done wrong was to come from Mansfield. If he'd come from a League 1 side I think many more people would be won over. Put away the preconceptions, and judge him on performances. He's a good player.

Buxton is the far, far better footballer out of him and Keogh. 

and more reliable.. and stronger.. and better defensively...

but Keogh is more nimble, and that is a luxury Buxton hasn't got - due to his nature (nothing he can really do about it, just like I can't suddenly grow 5 foot taller) and Buxton usually finds a white shirt, whereas Keogh purely tries to find space for players to chase and like yesterday, it just kept coming back. 

So do we get rid of Keogh then who plays well in most games and keep Bucko in with someone else

No I think we get a CB as back up to make both work harder.. I think it's unfair just to drop Buxton when he is playing well..

A rating of nine for a midfielder should be saved for someone who has dominated in the middle, ran the game, and had one or two assists/goals. Hendrick did none of them.

Mostyn - completely agree with your post about blinkered fans. Problem is I really worry Clough falls into that category!

A rating of nine for a midfielder should be saved for someone who has dominated in the middle, ran the game, and had one or two assists/goals. Hendrick did none of them.

Mostyn - completely agree with your post about blinkered fans. Problem is I really worry Clough falls into that category!

As some people know, I have a plan to track all the ratings for all the players in all the games this season - and I agree with you completely.

10 - is a perfect performance, a hat-trick and a couple saved off the line without losing the ball once, and showing only positive moves.

9 - a very positive performance, being mainly positive and contributing something of substance to the teams performance. I gave Martin a 9 against Brighton, slightly generous maybe, but he had a fantastic game with his hold up play and scored a brace to add..

6 for me is where you've contributed positively over the course of the game. 5 is a performance where for every positive move there was something negative for them, adding nothing really and lower than a 5 is where you've been detrimental to the performance - like Keogh yesterday.. 

Like Tevez he gets stuck in and chases lost causes down. Everyone knows that before Derby County Forsyth was not a defender that is the point I was making. Me clueless...

I can think of plenty of players who get stuck in, i don't think that means we start comparing them to Tevez, when Russell bangs a few goals in and shows some real technical quality, then the comparison might have some weight. Whatever Forsyth did before he's been bought in to play left full back, that means he needs to be able to defend properly!

How can anyone question Forsyth's defensive capabilities? 

You will struggle to find as many solid full backs in this division than him, he is very, very solid defensively - that isn't the issue for me, his distribution, composure and decision making is my concern. 

Defensively I find him very good, but when he has the ball - I don't know, he just plays mindless football despite having the clear ability to do otherwise. 

I dont understand people saying Forsyth is not a Defender. Hes played LB his whole career, Watford tried to play him as a winger when they signed him because they had a tiny budget at the time and couldnt afford another player.

But he was poor yesterday, Freeman was good. Coutts beats his man then slows down and waits for the man to catch up, theres too much messing about from him, there were at least 6 or 7 times he could have got a cross in yesterday and failed to because he was faffing about. Coutts needs dropping for Ward next match.

Was Bryson playing yesterday? Cant remember him doing anything of note at all.

Can't complain about the tactics, they worked well in the last match, so you dont change them. Wasnt working in the second half so we changed things around.

Yeovil will be a different game, they have a poor pitch so this passing game will not work, we need to be a bit more direct.

I dont understand people saying Forsyth is not a Defender. Hes played LB his whole career, Watford tried to play him as a winger when they signed him because they had a tiny budget at the time and couldnt afford another player.

But he was poor yesterday, Freeman was good. Coutts beats his man then slows down and waits for the man to catch up, theres too much messing about from him, there were at least 6 or 7 times he could have got a cross in yesterday and failed to because he was faffing about. Coutts needs dropping for Ward next match.

Can't complain about the tactics, they worked well in the last match, so you dont change them. Wasnt working in the second half so we changed things around.

Yeovil will be a different game, they have a poor pitch so this passing game will not work, we need to be a bit more direct.

Don't worry too much about Yeovil, we thrashed them at their place a few seasons back  ;)

I can understand the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach regarding tactics. Problem is away and home games are often very different. I feel 4-3-1-2 (or whatever it is) will work ok for us away from home as it makes us much more solid. However at home the onus is on us to get at teams, stretch them and break them down and I don't think that system offers enough width when we need to get at teams.

I feel we may see the 4-4-2 or similar, return for home fixtures at some stage.

Archived