England vs Scotland

abertawe_ram

The two meet in an international friendly on Wednesday 14th August.

The England squad was announced today with the main surprises being Rickie Lambert's first inclusion as well as Zaha being called up again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23613462

The Scotland squad was announced a little while ago but I can't be bothered to look up the article for you. Sorry.
I seem to remember that the one and only Kenny Miller had been recalled. 

A few thoughts...

Do Lambert and Zaha deserve their call ups? 

Is it worthwhile putting a friendly this close to the start of the season? 

Do you still have any interest in following the national side?

Would you like to see a Home Nations type tournament in the future or would that be a waste of everyone's time?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think based in his record in the last couple of years (especially in the prem last year) Lambert certainly deserves a chance. It's a shame it's come so late in his career but he could potentially make the World Cup squad if he makes an impact. With Zaha I'm a bit unsure; it's good to see younger players get a chance over the likes of Downing/Milner but at the same time I'm not sure he has made quite enough of an impact to warrant a call up.

I'm still a keen follower of the national side even though I find I get very annoyed watching them (even more so than Derby) and I'm actually looking forward to this quite a lot as I think it might have a bit more energy to it than the average friendly. Having said that the timing seems slightly ridiculous with the Premier League season kicking off just a few days after. Whoever planned it seems pretty daft to me.

Finally, I think a Home Nations tournament would be quite good fun although they'd probably struggle to find a time when clubs were willing to let their players go for it.

Sorry for the waffle...

I still have a interest in the national team. Find the whole set up quite similar to us tbh, you have a squad that tries hard, has very good home form but is poor away, a manager with 'plain' tactics, but deep down you know there never going to compete with the big boys. The big difference is the England set up does have far more ******* around

I think a home nations tournament would be mint but i can't imagine it being a very popular idea with the powers that be. In my lifetime we have only played Ireland and Scotland 3 times i believe. Ireland 1995 was a disaster, and Scotland 1996/1999 weren't the most peaceful affairs apparently. Hopefully the game passes off without major incident like the Ireland game and we can consider more frequent home nations games, they would certainly make far more interesting friendlies than portugal etc. 

Rather see Hooper in than Lambert, no point at his age introducing him to the squad.

That's a really good point I hadn't thought of Hooper, he should really have been given a chance by now. It'll be interesting to see how he does for Norwich this year.

I'm not against Lambert being in the squad as he was excellent last year but it is frustrating that he's only just getting his first cap at 31. He's certainly more worthy of a call up than some of the ***** that's been called up in recent years like Davies, Bothroyd and Nugent. Not that that is saying much.

Just out of interest, those of you who're going, how much are tickets? I would've loved to go if I wasn't completely skint at the moment.

That's a really good point I hadn't thought of Hooper, he should really have been given a chance by now. It'll be interesting to see how he does for Norwich this year.

I'm not against Lambert being in the squad as he was excellent last year but it is frustrating that he's only just getting his first cap at 31. He's certainly more worthy of a call up than some of the ***** that's been called up in recent years like Davies, Bothroyd and Nugent. Not that that is saying much.

Just out of interest, those of you who're going, how much are tickets? I would've loved to go if I wasn't completely skint at the moment.

I believe my ticket was around 45 poond.

Yes. Poond.

£65 a piece..... :blink:

Well the £300million overspend on Wembley has to be paid for somehow..and guess who it is picking up the tab

How many millions of damage will the Scots cause this time?

Archived