Slight moan

derbyram1994

Having just sold Brayford for a decent chunk of money, I am slightly disappointed that we have not moved to secure a RB on a permanent deal.

In a years time Smith will have gone and we'll be back at square one. If people say well we've got Freeman then that's fine but if he's gonna be our RB going forward I'd want him to play this season.

If people say we could sign Smith, no chance. He's just signed a contract extension with spurs and will be a lot more that 2m.

I think this is a bit of a rush (not Sam) signing and would of liked us to take a bit of time (freeman can do a job in the meanwhile) to actually try and go for a decent RB for a decent fee and actually have him at Derby for more than a year to build that consistency we had with brayford.

What are people's thoughts?

(ps I am happy with the smith signing just not happy about the type of signing it is)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this echoes the feeling most people are having with the signing. The player is a good player, and will make us better. However, the problem is delayed, and that, coupled with the noises now being made about a centre back, is very disappointing.

Hes not proven .    Tom Carroll or Livermore anyone

Smith has had more games than Tom Carroll and Livermore before they came here, Smith has been capped at every level apart from the senior squad for England. Adam has also had 28 games at this level so IMO he isn't going to be another "Livermore" or "Carroll"

Having just sold Brayford for a decent chunk of money, I am slightly disappointed that we have not moved to secure a RB on a permanent deal.

In a years time Smith will have gone and we'll be back at square one. If people say well we've got Freeman then that's fine but if he's gonna be our RB going forward I'd want him to play this season.

If people say we could sign Smith, no chance. He's just signed a contract extension with spurs and will be a lot more that 2m.

I think this is a bit of a rush (not Sam) signing and would of liked us to take a bit of time (freeman can do a job in the meanwhile) to actually try and go for a decent RB for a decent fee and actually have him at Derby for more than a year to build that consistency we had with brayford.

What are people's thoughts?

(ps I am happy with the smith signing just not happy about the type of signing it is)

Let's see what he is like 1st, this isn't like Football manager where you easily buy players when you want. I see it as by all accounts we got a decent player in Smith. £1.5 - £2 million in the bank, now it gives us a year to buy a right back or see how freeman comes along.

I dont get the hysteria and negativity about loans. I want to see good players at Derby, end of! I dont know enough about Adam Smith to make a comment and will reserve judgement until I have seen him (that comment could equally have applied to any potential permanent signing we could have made). His pedigree looks good on paper and hopefully that will translate in to contributing towards making us a good team.

If it is a toss up between getting a good player on a permanent or a better player on a season long loan, Give me the loan route every time in order to get the better player. I agree to an extent that 3 month loans can be a bit of a pain but plenty of teams have won promotion on the back of well thought out season long loans (Hull last year is a good example)! Just because we banked £1.5M last Thursday doesnt mean we have to spend it in a week. That is a ludicrous viewpoint and anyone attempting to suggest that supporters have been shortchanged just 4 days later is off their rocker! (that is a dig at some of the comments that have cropped up on other threads and social media rather than this thread so far)

Rant over!

So is Livermore and that's my point both Spurs loans and both failed at Rams. Smith might do well but it's a cop out after letting Brayford go. Where's the money going.

Should we have stopped Brayford going? He wanted to go. We have brought in a good replacement for this season. If we go up quite a few will need replacing. Maybe we would buy Smith? If we don't go up at least we would have had probably as good a replacement for Brayford as possible.

We sold JB for £1.5m on Friday, the club obviously see Freeman as their first choice RB for years to come, I think its a good move to have another competent RB in the squad to push Freeman we don't want him resting on his laurels.

I think we need to calm down about the Brayford money, were we expected to spend it all by Monday morning? The transfer window is open till the end of August?! That gives us plenty of time to spend the money wisely. Lets see what happens first, if come September we haven't spent a penny of it then start asking questions.

My guess is we've already spent some of the money on Smith who some Toettenham fans rate as possibly their best right back.

So is Livermore and that's my point both Spurs loans and both failed at Rams. Smith might do well but it's a cop out after letting Brayford go. Where's the money going.

Yeah I see what you're saying.

Fingers crossed eh mate.

I don't mind Bucko and Keogh but the cover is a bit dodgy. Barker been out a long time and (personally I think ) OB isn't up to that standard yet. Still a month to go though.

. How much did we bank from the Brayford deal. It wouldn't have been 1.5 Million IMO

You may be right on that. I dont have any idea but the consensus doing the rounds seems to be that with Crewe getting a sell-on payment it could be around £1.35M.

Just want to throw this out there as well, we might well be waiting to shift some of the deadwood before bringing in a CB (hence the "no rush"). I have no doubt we're spending more on wages this year than last year and the board will probably want that cut before bringing anyone else in.

As for the signing of Smith, more than happy with it and the defence is stronger as a result.

I'm extremely happy with this loan.

Freeman isn't good enough at the moment to push for promotion.Sounds like Smith is.

If we get promotion we would have funds to buy if he was happy here(who wouldn't be) and everyone agreed a deal.

If he wasn't happy then we could buy another player or maybe Freeman would have improved sufficiently to drop in.At least we would be up.

If we don't have the players then we won't ever go up,then what's the point.

When Brayford went we knew we needed to bring in quality, regardless of loan or permanent. 

From what I can tell we've brought in just that, because he is so highly rated by a top 6 side he hasn't come permanent - also, he has rejected the heavy favourites for the title this summer already!

If anyone else like Phil Brown had done this (sell ya best player and replace him with a loanee) they'd have been took to the slaughter house.

Spurs have took us for mugs over the past decade; Huddlestone, Rasiak, Carroll, Livermoore...

When Brayford went we knew we needed to bring in quality, regardless of loan or permanent. 

From what I can tell we've brought in just that, because he is so highly rated by a top 6 side he hasn't come permanent - also, he has rejected the heavy favourites for the title this summer already!

I don't think anyone is concerned by the quality of the signing. He looks an excellent player...

It's just the other parts we aren't delighted with.

I don't think anyone is concerned by the quality of the signing. He looks an excellent player...

It's just the other parts we aren't delighted with.

In that sense there is no need to worry - they've said they will re-invest the money, so they will re-invest the money.

I'll sit tight and wait, and if they don't that's when I will moan.

Archived