Have your say on our best manager of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Duracell

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's lost more than he has won?...why didn't you say so before?

I notice you did not respond to the post that said that this stat could be applied to well over half of the English football leagues.

Anyway do you really expect anyone to take your opinion seriously when you omit Docherty from the worst managers list and say that Billy Davies was up there with the best?!

Here is a nice stat for you, when Billy Davies was sacked 3 or 4 months into the season he had won one game. I'm guessing that he had lost more than he had won that season.

I never put Billy Davies up there with the best..

Not just picking on you buddy, but somany people clearly don't read my posts properly or just read what they want to read

In 2006-07 Billy Davies lost 10 games before leaving the club, having only recorded 1 win and 3 draws in 14 games. This stood as an abysmal 0.42 points per game. This was after a full off season to prepare and spending more money than has been spent in total by Nigel. Billy was clearly a magnificent manager.

I think the only thing BD prepared in that close season was the first shovelful of the groundwork for his ultimate dismissal and associated payoff.

In 2006-07 Billy Davies lost 10 games before leaving the club, having only recorded 1 win and 3 draws in 14 games. This stood as an abysmal 0.42 points per game. This was after a full off season to prepare and spending more money than has been spent in total by Nigel. Billy was clearly a magnificent manager.

Far be it from me to correct our resident statto expert but wasnt it 2007-08 that was our nightmare season? I could be wrong, as I do try and erase it from my memory.

If Clough gets us promoted in the next couple of years he'd slot straight in to the top 5. Not saying it will happen, just saying if it does happen.

And if I win the Euros tonight I will be a millionaire.

Not saying it will happen, just if it does :-)

Sadly I read the article, must have been bored, quote Arthur Cox for back to back promotions from Div 3 to Div 1 in back to back seasons unquote  -surely back to back promotions must be in consecutive seasons or they wouldnt be back to back? Or was the hack writing the piece running out of inspiration so trying to fill up space? 

King Arthur DID get us back to back promotions....including the winning the championship in that...

I have to say, for me,King Arthur gave me the happiest times watching football, because i was exactly the right age where I was apprectiating everything that was going on in front of me.

There should be a statue for him outside the ground, with him leaning out of the dug out waving at the pop side...

King Arthur DID get us back to back promotions....including the winning the championship in that...

I have to say, for me,King Arthur gave me the happiest times watching football, because i was exactly the right age where I was apprectiating everything that was going on in front of me.

There should be a statue for him outside the ground, with him leaning out of the dug out waving at the pop side...

Best manager has to be assessed based on

1) Where we were when the manager took over

2) Where we were when he left

3) What he won whislt he was here

4) what he lost when he was here (eg relegations)

Clough senior obviously scores highly on all counts so no contest .

Arthur Cox had two promotions and one relegation, so in profit.

Jim smith had a promotion but then stagnated and we were heading for relegation when he left. I spose all managerial careers end in failure ,even Clough senior career ended in relegation. Only fergie avoided that.

Nigel has so far pushed us up the table ... so in profit. But no promotions or relegations or really that close to either.

For me Cox's tenure is tainted due to the way he bailed. Spent a sum of money that would be considered lavish even now, failed to get us back up then did one siting issues with his back. I guess Newcastle's bench must have had posturepedic cushions or something as he looked right as rain sat behind Kevin Keegan for a few seasons...

But as Pete says most manger's spells at a club end badly...

Just so I'm clear - are you likening our chances of promotion to your chances of winning the Euromillions?

Wow!

I think you misunderstood me.

The chances of me winning the lottery are better :-)

Archived