is this team shaping up for promotion this season

B4ev6is

guys what do you think?

I can't wait for the KO whistle. Fed up of waiting now. Plus B4's not the only one feeling optimistic. We have our new signings and hopefully we've not done adding to them yet.

The lads will be just as enthusiastic as us and with quite a few of the team ( and SR) putting voice to their thoughts of a potential promotion push because of the strengthening, then my optimism has been handed a further boost.

Only time will tell of course how well the new team will work together - but the added experience of our new squad can only be a good thing, for themselves and the younger players. I can't help but think positive, I hope everyone else feels the same.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buxton is not top 6.

Simply put if he is a starter next season not a chance will we finish top 6 not a chance.

Sign a good centre half and I'm happy and so will Keogh be I'd imagine.

In total disagreement with that. Buxton outperformed Keogh in almost every game they played together. Keogh may appear to be an all-round better footballer, but performances don't reflect that. If you're suggesting that one is top 6 and one isn't, then you're very harsh and blinkered. Pretty sure that Buxton was playing in most of our wins at home, which were top6 form. If he's good enough at home, then he's good enough full stop.

As for the team shaping up for promotion, I think the only reason we haven't been close already in the last few years is down to mentality more than any lack of ability.

If we play to win, simply, we'll win more often than not. It's down to the management/coaching staff to nurture a positive mental winning attitude in the squad.

Just had a twinge of pessimism on hearing that Forsyth had signed.

Nothing against him, because he looked OK  on loan, but it's that feeling you get when you realise that two of the "summer signings" were actually in the team for the latter part of last season and we weren't good enough then, so it feels like treading water.

Hopefully Grant and Russell can make a difference, but we still need that CB and for the Brayford situation to be resolved if we're seriously going to push on next season

Nothing against him, because he looked OK  on loan, but it's that feeling you get when you realise that two of the "summer signings" were actually in the team for the latter part of last season and we weren't good enough then, so it feels like treading water.

Hopefully Grant and Russell can make a difference, but we still need that CB and for the Brayford situation to be resolved if we're seriously going to push on next season

I think the things in the last sentence will be sorted, still a fair way to go.

As for signing loan players, I think the likes of Ward, Robinson and Fielding have all come in and improved us again in the following season so I wouldn't be too disappointed. I think Forsyth will get better for us now he knows he's going to be established as our LB. The defense looks much more solid with him in it and Grant behind them.

i think derby have a really promation chance this season and we nearly made it last season, and if jamie ward can hit the heights he did last seaon before he got injured the 2nd time around, we all know jamie ward can be a really had full. in a postion i would love to see him play just behind the front two strikers i am sure he could be a really mances to anyone.

We didn't nearly make it last season at all. We weren't that far away, but neither were we very close.

And Jamie Ward will doubtless be exactly the same as always: good for a bit, poor for a bit, and injured for a bit. If you're pinning your hopes on him getting us up, I fear you'll be disappointed.

The thing we need to remember is that the key to building as we are is stability. As things stand we are a decent shout of the playoffs if we can improve our away record and keep more clean sheets. A key point we have to remember was that Roberts wasn't the issue, and the side was just as strong, if not stronger with Forsyth in it (the team actually got more points per game with Forsyth [1.4 points per game] in the team than with Roberts [1.21 points per game] in the team). With that in mind you can either take it as a neutral signing, maintaining what we already had, or as a slight positive.

As things stood just signing Martin and Forsyth could have just been seen as maintaining our current quality, and to be honest it's not a bad idea to maintain what we have when we have one of the best sides at home in the division. The key question for us though is being stronger away from home and conceding in less games. This calls for experience rather than outright quality, and in such an instance there are key things that could be done:

1. Play the young players so they can get that experience, over the course of seasons the side could get stronger without directly signing "better" players - For us this can apply for Hendrick, Hughes, O'Brien and even Brayford (when he first signed) as examples, the side should be in principle be stronger for the experience of last season

2. Sign experienced players in key positions - We have for example signed Lee Grant to replaced Fielding and Legzdins, neither of whom have the depth of experience that he has at this level, this may go a long way getting more clean sheets, something that could see us push right into the playoff battle next season

3. Keep our squad - We've signed Martin and Forsyth. Bryson is already signed up, now we need Brayford

4. A bit of extra quality - We have gone out and signed another striker, and one that some saw as so good that they literally said they'd "run around town naked if he signed". I don't doubt that we'll have a bit of a revisionists revolution on him if he doesn't scored at least a hattrick against Blackburn, but the Russell thread is a testament to how much many wanted him

So we are making the right moves, and from here we really should be looking into signing Brayford up for at least 3 more seasons, bringing in an experienced centre half to help strengthen the defence and maybe sign another right midfielder for a bit of competition. If we can do that we should be seen as a real shout for the playoffs this season.

1. Play the young players so they can get that experience, over the course of seasons the side could get stronger without directly signing "better" players - For us this can apply for Hendrick, Hughes, O'Brien and even Brayford (when he first signed) as examples, the side should be in principle be stronger for the experience of last season

This is the key for me... We've improved our playing staff little by little over the seasons, but the real factor is that they are individually getting better...

Look at last season... Is Coutts better than Green? Probably not, but he's younger and has (for me) shown that he can be a very decernt player... Is Keogh better than Shackell? Again, probably not, but younger and quicker...

What's the key difference? Most of our players are still under 26 and getting better all the time... Hughes will be better this season, Hendrick, Forsyth (training properly to be a LB), Keogh (settled now), Sammon (quiet you haters) and Martin (fitness) to name just a few...

And as much as he is my own personal messiah, I acknowledge that St Bucko of Burton is at best a decent championship defender... However when he first joined us he looked like he's be out of his depth in League 2...

In fact I'm going to start a thread on this...

We didn't nearly make it last season at all. We weren't that far away, but neither were we very close.

And Jamie Ward will doubtless be exactly the same as always: good for a bit, poor for a bit, and injured for a bit. If you're pinning your hopes on him getting us up, I fear you'll be disappointed.

Correct. With 3/4 games to go we had more chance of getting relegated than getting in the play offs. If it wasn't for Sammon's late winner on the final day we would have finished in the bottom half.

This is the key for me... We've improved our playing staff little by little over the seasons, but the real factor is that they are individually getting better...

Look at last season... Is Coutts better than Green? Probably not, but he's younger and has (for me) shown that he can be a very decernt player... Is Keogh better than Shackell? Again, probably not, but younger and quicker...

What's the key difference? Most of our players are still under 26 and getting better all the time... Hughes will be better this season, Hendrick, Forsyth (training properly to be a LB), Keogh (settled now), Sammon (quiet you haters) and Martin (fitness) to name just a few...

And as much as he is my own personal messiah, I acknowledge that St Bucko of Burton is at best a decent championship defender... However when he first joined us he looked like he's be out of his depth in League 2...

In fact I'm going to start a thread on this...

I always hear this "Buxton has got so much better now" line repeated, but it doesn't seem to match what actually happened. At the time we signed him people were saying that he wasn't even League Two standard, that part is at least true, but this was before he had so much as kicked a ball for the club. When he first played for us though he didn't look in the slightest out of the place and most recognised this. Many was genuinely surprised that he was quite a decent player at this level, if only decent. It was in fact not until after his first injury with us that he came back and looked poor. Of course, we seemed to have turned this into "he's terrible" very quickly after that (as we normally do, much like how people turned on O'Connor and even Coutts to an extent when their form went south). In fact, it wasn't until his performances coming back from another injury in 11-12, during which he scored the winner against Forest having come off the bench that people seemed to warm to him again. Somehow though we'd mangled his poor form coming back from injury in 09-10 when he was brought in out of need rather than being ready, and extrapolated it into him looking poor all season, he didn't, he even started well and certainly didn't look out of place. I'm elated for Buxton that he's managed to prove so many wrong, but to say that he's improved that much isn't giving him credit that he deserves for the start he had at the club. He seems a better, more experienced player than when he arrived, but he certainly a decent Championship player when he first played for us.

I always hear this "Buxton has got so much better now" line repeated, but it doesn't seem to match what actually happened. At the time we signed him people were saying that he wasn't even League Two standard, that part is at least true, but this was before he had so much as kicked a ball for the club. When he first played for us though he didn't look in the slightest out of the place and most recognised this.

I disagree... When I first saw him play for us he wasn't up to it as far as I'm concerned... He looked woefully out of place as a championship defender...

I disagree... When I first saw him play for us he wasn't up to it as far as I'm concerned... He looked woefully out of place as a championship defender...

That's nice for you then. Doesn't really fit with the general attitude about him though. Beyond his poor form after that first set of injury he certainly didn't look out of place in his first season, and it wasn't just one short burst either, as he did put in a good shift in his second decent run with the side after he had recovered as well, but don't take my word for it, hear it straight from this forum back then:

I agree with Dan - Buxton looked good everytime he played, give him a chance :eek:

i thought buxton played really well before he had his hernia op whats everyone's issue with him?

Makes sense to me, if he makes the grade, take him for the season. If not, ship him back.

We could do with a Defender and a Striker, just to bolster ranks.

Buxton looked surprisingly impressive though

For A change a serious post from me,The Woofer by a mile the best defender we had since Todd imo getting better and a future Derby captain.

However a special mention for Buxton despite the countless posts over all the Derby boards ,how he isnt good enough he has not imo let himself or the team down.Puts his all into every performance and puts his body on the line this imo is what we fans like to see.

He deserves the player of the year for performing above his perceived potential but i think it will go to Barker.

voted for savage, for me hes not been an outstanding player for us, but hes there when it matters, shows heart and dedication

im not his biggest fan, but i think he deserves it for being there every game, some off you will hate me for it and i dont care

but buxton, barker and bywater should be in with a shout and i wouldnt grumble if any of them won it

Barker has probably been the best performer when he's played, Buxton obviously has improved alot and done really well coming into a higher league and matching opponents. I can see why people would pick Bywater but I went for Barker personally.

Barker has been epic.

Buxton has done proudly and punched above his weight too.

Actually it was a difficult decision - Barker and Buxton in with a shout - if they had played a bit more i voted for Bywater last season , but surprise surprise it goes to Sav - overall for his great leadership and the 100% effort he puts in and.....no i won't bore you with the rest.

How about an ol' b4 post for no particular reason:

Hey lads i want to believe derby can push for top 2 places next season. but i think jamie ward can be a really handfull next season if nigal clough is given the right players and funds to do so, we have quite a few attacking opapions, we have like of jamie ward, cwkya, theo robson, conner doyle, and if that scottish striker comes and supposed to be golden kids scotland international team, and also craig bryson, which plays in midfield, but other in the team likes of stepthen pearson ben davis, james bailey, but i still we need a play maker that create something out of nrothing, someone that can keep the oppsition guessing. I now to out defance we have jake buxton who is a good player when fit and also shaun barker is best in this divison but not been fit all season, but when fit we all know he can half have a shot on him.

there is russle addidson but once again another player which has been missing a lot of time on the treatment table and same thing with miles addison. but jhon brayford has been bright spark this season, demand right position but i think needs someone else, to keep him on his toes, now with goal keepers frank fielding is best steady keeper for long time, and also ross akins but not seen a lot to tell about him, but heard some good things through about the lad.

That's nice for you then. Doesn't really fit with the general attitude about him though. Beyond his poor form after that first set of injury he certainly didn't look out of place in his first season, and it wasn't just one short burst either, as he did put in a good shift in his second decent run with the side after he had recovered as well, but don't take my word for it, hear it straight from this forum back then:

Well I'm awfully jolly pleased for you that you've managed to find a few quotes of other peopl's opinions to match yours.

I however don't need that... As it is my opinion... And as such is no more or less valid than any of the randoms you just quoted...

So you are correct... I won't take your word for it...

In favour of the Cheron point of view here, when Bucko was initially signed it seemed to me that he was intended as back-up but has improved and acquitted himself to the point where we're trying to find someone 'as good as Jake' if not better to give us both more quality and depth.

I'd say he's learnt a hell of a lot and improved a good amount since he first came. Not saying he was awful to begin with but there's no doubt he's worked hard and got better!

All the young'uns have another years experience as well. If possible, Hughes will be better next season by getting a few more assists with Russell and martin upfront. Hendricks 3rd year in the championship? Should be confident and I'm looking forward to his surging runs.

Hopefully players like Bennett and Jacobs will be subbed on around the 70th minute instead of 87th so they can at least have a chance of making an impact on the game.

Top 8 this season and I'm happy.

In favour of the Cheron point of view here, when Bucko was initially signed it seemed to me that he was intended as back-up but has improved and acquitted himself to the point where we're trying to find someone 'as good as Jake' if not better to give us both more quality and depth.

I'd say he's learnt a hell of a lot and improved a good amount since he first came. Not saying he was awful to begin with but there's no doubt he's worked hard and got better!

Dear Albert,

Boo Ya

Much Love,

Cheron85 (I'm Batman)

Why are we even having this discussion. Buxton is a no nonsense CB not a good player couldn't even lace igor's boots. How can you think he is a good player. He is league 2 standard 2.

He is not at all a good centre back he is a good hoofer.

sshhhhh you'll disturb the bucko.

Why are we even having this discussion. Buxton is a no nonsense CB not a good player couldn't even lace igor's boots. How can you think he is a good player. He is league 2 standard 2.

He is not at all a good centre back he is a good hoofer.

This cockneywanker has no soul

Archived