Derby County players on international duty.

adamdcfc6

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sammon's international career over?

@skysports_bryan: FAI statement: "Following amicable meeting this morning, Giovanni Trapattoni and Marco Tardelli have parted company by mutual consent."

I don't expect it to die Mr Daveo, in fact quite the opposite, I expect it to flourish.

Especially when you consider the outstanding and available candidates.

MON or Roy Keane.

Surely they'll pick Sammon just cos they're mates with Nige.

After all that's how Hughes got his early call up. No?

Trapp is probably only off early so he can take up his job as Jeffs Hendricks agent.

I've just seen Keogh doing a jig down the street in his Ireland tracky bottoms singing to himself while he's clapping.

"Richie is back, Richie is back allo, allo"

Trap's resignation along with Tardelli will not impact Sammon, Hendrick's or Keogh's Irish careers for the simple reason that we have nothing coming through. The FAI are still stuck in the Jack Charlton era of thinking, take players who have come up through the the English Football development system and exploit the Granny/Granda passport rule. Hence Trap's comments mid-week about their being no league in Ireland and he believes it because he has never been to a game in Ireland or encouraged to and the FAI have the same attitude towards our league hence why teams such as Derry City, Cork City, Shelbourne, Galway United, Monaghan United, Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Dublin City, Sporting Fingal and Kildare County have all gone to the wall, came close to it or had to re-create themselves to re-enter league competition. The last player to get a call up whilst playing for a LOI team was Wes Hoolahan under Steve Staunton when he played for Shelbourne in the '06 season.

The buck shouldn't stop with Trap, Delaney should go too. The fact that we are years behind other countries in Youth Development is frightening and the Association shows little ambition to change this. Soon we will be like Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and will be teams who watch major tournaments, not take part.

On the Derby players again, no matter who the new gaffer is he will call up all three for the firendlies leading to the next campaign. With Richard Dunne and possibly John O'Shea about to call an end on his international career, Keogh will join O'Dea, Clarke and St. Ledger as the only tried and tested Centre Backs we have for selection. In the build-up to the next campaign he will be called up for every game in my opinion.

Sammon's use in games under Trap is an example of the poor tactics and judgement used under his tenure. Over the five and a bit years he has used Caleb Folan, Leon Best, Kevin Doyle and now Shane Long as the target man in a hoofball culture. The last two are players not much taller than me and I am 5'8. Sammon was always deployed to stand up as the last man and nod the ball on. Under a manager who will play football on the ground, Sammon will be brought in for the friendlies in February, May and June to assess how he holds it up with his feet. If McCarthy is hired he will be the target man in a 4-4-2 alongside Long, who will be given a free role to roam.

Hendrick will struggle as the Ireland Midfield has players such as McCarthy, Hoolahan, McClean, Pilkington etc waiting for the opportunity to replace clowns such as Jon Walters, who shouldn't be near the team, Glenn Whelan, who hasn't performed for Ireland since Paris 09 and ******* Paul Green, the less I say the better. He will really have to prove his worth but will find it more difficult than others to break in. Then again if O'Neill is hired he will see Hendrick's potential and mold him into the team in my opinion.

I think Ireland have something to work with..

Cieran Clark

Seamus Coleman
Aidan McGeady
Jeff Hendrick
Robbie Brady
James McCarthy

Are all good players (or will be at least) the squad is piss-weak though. 

Sammon and Keogh are good championship players, but they're not international standard - unfortunately for them, once Keane goes then Sammon will be the second best striker they have! I see Sammon gets a lot of stick, but, the alternatives are Madden, Cox, Doyle,AKeogh...etc unfortnately for them and same goes for Keogh - once Dunne and O'Shea go, then he'll be up against St Ledger for that centre back spot (think O'dea is absolutely w*nk) unless someone can come through and compete.

I think like us, they had very high hopes for MOB in his younger days - injuries have stumped any kind of chance of that. 

Outside of McGeady I would agree with your Potential players list there. McGeady has been in the squad for 6-7 years and hasn't progressed in the manner we had all hoped.

Yes we do have a piss weak selection but again that is because we have nothing in place to progress youngsters. Delaney and the FAI are too busy chasing down money to try and re-coup the debt of building Lansdowne Road. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not being funny, but Ireland started with Stokes and Doyle upfront  :lol:

And their fans compain about Sammon? Doyle, easily the worst player I saw last season - and Stokes plays in a far, far, far superior team to anyone else in the division and still struggles to crack 20 goal barrier, no excuses! 

Infact Stokes has never topped Sammon's 15 goals in the SPL  :rolleyes:

Archived