Jeff Stelling reviews the Football League season

Ash

What's your favourite ground?

For sheer atmosphere, I'm going to say Pride Park. I think Derby County have a phenomenal support, and because of that I'm rooting for them to do well next year and push for promotion. It's like they've been locked in mid-table inertia for ages now, but they still turn up in their droves. When that ground is packed and Derby are playing well, Pride Park is rocking.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/best-no9s/weekly-articles/week-35/week-35

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know I think we beat ourselves up a bit over the atmosphere (or lack of) at PP. There were whole seasons when the atmosphere at the BBG was not good. And that includes times when some of the genuine legends of our club were playing in the team, and when standing was allowed.

We have had seasons - under both BC and Dave Mackay, under Arthur and Jim Smith - when the stadium has (and I may be remembering wrong) been noisy for every home game. But there have been a fair few seasons inbetween when neither the BBG nor PP have rocked.

But even in the bad times, or the not so good times, we have continued to turn up in numbers. We got (I think), 13,000 gates in Division 3; we get 23,000 now and can still fill the ground for some matches; 30,000 plus came every game when we were scrabbling together 11 points in a whole season and were down before Christmas; we are regularly averaging gates higher than a fair few Premiership clubs and have been for several seasons. Considering the recessions, Bombardier, Rolls Royce, Maxwell, Amigos, HMRC episodes, never mind the others, I think that our support is pretty consistently good. And when the likes of Russell and Vaughan and others consider where they want to play next season, then attendances will be one factor. Every footballer wants to show off their skills, to win in front of people, not play in empty stadiums.

And Jeff Stelling is right. When we get a team that is playing consistently exciting football and challenging again, PP will rock once more. But don't lets knock the fact that Derby fans still come to the ground to watch their team play. There are lots of other clubs who would give their eye teeth for the level of support that we have given consistently for the last 50 years, even if that has sometimes been quiet support rather than noisy.

You know I think we beat ourselves up a bit over the atmosphere (or lack of) at PP. There were whole seasons when the atmosphere at the BBG was not good. And that includes times when some of the genuine legends of our club were playing in the team, and when standing was allowed.

We have had seasons - under both BC and Dave Mackay, under Arthur and Jim Smith - when the stadium has (and I may be remembering wrong) been noisy for every home game. But there have been a fair few seasons inbetween when neither the BBG nor PP have rocked.

But even in the bad times, or the not so good times, we have continued to turn up in numbers. We got (I think), 13,000 gates in Division 3; we get 23,000 now and can still fill the ground for some matches; 30,000 plus came every game when we were scrabbling together 11 points in a whole season and were down before Christmas; we are regularly averaging gates higher than a fair few Premiership clubs and have been for several seasons. Considering the recessions, Bombardier, Rolls Royce, Maxwell, Amigos, HMRC episodes, never mind the others, I think that our support is pretty consistently good. And when the likes of Russell and Vaughan and others consider where they want to play next season, then attendances will be one factor. Every footballer wants to show off their skills, to win in front of people, not play in empty stadiums.

And Jeff Stelling is right. When we get a team that is playing consistently exciting football and challenging again, PP will rock once more. But don't lets knock the fact that Derby fans still come to the ground to watch their team play. There are lots of other clubs who would give their eye teeth for the level of support that we have given consistently for the last 50 years, even if that has sometimes been quiet support rather than noisy.

Agree totally. Started going as a kid in '93 and it was dour at BBG until the promotion year. Those first 2 years at Pride Park were absolutely rocking.

Play good stuff. That's how you get people shouting. We just don't have the resources to do it consistently yet.

This Summer though. You never know...

Unfortunately, as much as the Baseball Ground will forever be remembered for it's unique atmosphere, Pride Park sadly will not. Those night games at the BBG were an event. Unmissable. Evening games at PPS are just cold and depressing.

Unfortunately, as much as the Baseball Ground will forever be remembered for it's unique atmosphere, Pride Park sadly will not. Those night games at the BBG were an event. Unmissable. Evening games at PPS are just cold and depressing.

I don't agree Rad (except the bit about the BBG being unique)

Night games at the BBG could be great, as good day games, but they weren't all like that, even some of the European nights. They weren't all like Benfica.

But PP can rock at night too - Southampton in the play off semi final, Manure in the League Cup - great atmospheres both, but also big occasions, with something at stake and with a Derby side that could be exciting. And was. And won.

And when the likes of Russell and Vaughan and others consider where they want to play next season, then attendances will be one factor. Every footballer wants to show off their skills, to win in front of people, not play in empty stadiums.

You don't actually believe that do you?

The only factors involving a players choice is money and the chance of progressing their career..

After that, climate, lifestyle, family choice and even tax percentages are ahead of attendance.

No-one will pick Derby over Blackburn just because we get an extra 8,000 fans in the stadium.. No-one.

Afterall, why would Falcao, Rodriguez and Moutinho go to Monaco when they get an average gate of only 13,000.. Why would anyone want to move to Anzhi, a ridiculous side in the middle of a freezing cold country playing infront of an empty stadium?

Spectators has 0 impact on a footballer's decision.. I beg you now, please don't get sucked in by the words 'the fans were a major part of my decision, or playing infront of the Derby faithful swung my decision, or how could I turn down the opportunity to play infront of 20k a week'.. It's typical footballing bullsh!t to please the fans which can easily be translated to 'I signed for Derby because they offered me more money than Blackpool'

You don't actually believe that do you?

The only factors involving a players choice is money and the chance of progressing their career..

After that, climate, lifestyle, family choice and even tax percentages are ahead of attendance.

No-one will pick Derby over Blackburn just because we get an extra 8,000 fans in the stadium.. No-one.

Afterall, why would Falcao, Rodriguez and Moutinho go to Monaco when they get an average gate of only 13,000.. Why would anyone want to move to Anzhi, a ridiculous side in the middle of a freezing cold country playing infront of an empty stadium?

Spectators has 0 impact on a footballer's decision.. I beg you now, please don't get sucked in by the words 'the fans were a major part of my decision, or playing infront of the Derby faithful swung my decision, or how could I turn down the opportunity to play infront of 20k a week'.. It's typical footballing bullsh!t to please the fans which can easily be translated to 'I signed for Derby because they offered me more money than Blackpool'

Whilst I agree, I think it is all person dependent - and a lot of factors need to be taken in. 

Richard Keogh could of got more money at Cardiff, and a higher chance of promotion - why didn't he go there? 

Jamie Ward could of got more money at Hull, and a higher chance of promotion - why didn't he go there?

Steve Davies probably took similar money at Bristol, with a higher chance of relegation - why did he go there? 

...etc 

as I said in some cases, you're absolutely correct in what you're saying (for the most part) but there are a lot of other factors to consider! 

and, I appreciate what Geoff is saying, and, agree to a point - there isn't any team in the championship with an incredible atmosphere anymore, it's part of the game which is dying unfortunately (especially in england) We do okay, for the 'bandwagon' moments as I like to call them - these may not even be games, but little incidents which catch around the stadium and brings the crowd to life.

Ginger Ball Boy chant - You ******* retards, you're playing in blue and Let's send these ******** down (last couple home games) these reverberated quite well, and this is where as fans we're at our best...  

Why would anyone want to move to Anzhi, a ridiculous side in the middle of a freezing cold country playing infront of an empty stadium?

Wrong.

Average winter temperature in Dagestan is +10 °C.

1. Кубань  13  20427               64,5%

2. Терек  13  20275                 67,6%  

3. Спартак  13  18109              23,1%  

4. Anzhi  14  16864              89,4%  

5. Зенит  14  16795                  77,9%  

6. ЦСКА  14  14176                   29,2%  

7. Алания  14  13436                 41,1%  

8. Крылья Советов  14  12796  39,3%  

9. Локомотив  13  12459           43,3%  

10. Краснодар  14  10314         32,6%  

11. Рубин  13  9862                   32,9%  

12. Ростов  13  9128                  57,6%