Jeff Stelling reviews the Football League season

Ash

What's your favourite ground?

For sheer atmosphere, I'm going to say Pride Park. I think Derby County have a phenomenal support, and because of that I'm rooting for them to do well next year and push for promotion. It's like they've been locked in mid-table inertia for ages now, but they still turn up in their droves. When that ground is packed and Derby are playing well, Pride Park is rocking.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/best-no9s/weekly-articles/week-35/week-35

what atmosphere is that then?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't actually believe that do you?

The only factors involving a players choice is money and the chance of progressing their career..

After that, climate, lifestyle, family choice and even tax percentages are ahead of attendance.

No-one will pick Derby over Blackburn just because we get an extra 8,000 fans in the stadium.. No-one.

Afterall, why would Falcao, Rodriguez and Moutinho go to Monaco when they get an average gate of only 13,000.. Why would anyone want to move to Anzhi, a ridiculous side in the middle of a freezing cold country playing infront of an empty stadium?

Spectators has 0 impact on a footballer's decision.. I beg you now, please don't get sucked in by the words 'the fans were a major part of my decision, or playing infront of the Derby faithful swung my decision, or how could I turn down the opportunity to play infront of 20k a week'.. It's typical footballing bullsh!t to please the fans which can easily be translated to 'I signed for Derby because they offered me more money than Blackpool'

Bris, I actually do believe that attendances are ONE factor in a player's choice of future clubs but, like you, I am pretty cynical about some of the utterances that supposedly come from player's mouths and are written by a club's PR team. If you read some of Wayne Rooney's quotes then you absolutely know that they are written by others.

I don't know you, but reading some of your posts you seem to have travelled far and wide in your life. I have had about 12 different jobs in my career and I have lived in a number of places from Watford to Preston. I now live in Ilkley. I haven't always moved on for more money but I have always moved to better my career. ONE of the factors I have always considered before moving jobs, and house, is whether or not I can get to the BBG or PP every week and in midweek. And so far I have always done so. Many, including some on this forum, may find that strange, my wife certainly does, but it has always been true.

I just think that for all of us there are a number of different reasons why we move jobs (and football for professionals is 'just' a job) and where we choose to go. Money isn't always the main reason (though important) particularly when you are considering options. Vaughan or Russell's main driver might be to play outside the UK and live abroad, but it might also be to play in the Champions League or to win trophies or it might be to earn pots of money. Only they will know. But I would seriously suggest that footballers like to play in front of an audience, and the bigger the crowd the better. On that basis we have something to offer.

Was in Pompey this week with work. There's big signs outside the ground with a photo of Luke Varney and the caption: "Fratton Park, best atmosphere I've ever known", just saying

Don't think he would of liked the atmosphere at Pride Park seeing as though we all were calling him ****!

Archived