New Striker ???

FeedTheFish

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of the players mentioned...

Matty Fryatt is an intelligent player, think he would get goals in our side - seems to do very well when confidence is up.

Lee Novak isn't good enough for this division, nothing more nothing less - whoever signs him will be picking up a flop, read what huddersfield fans say about him! 

James Vaughan is a high quality footballer, injury problems.. perhaps - great ability none-the-less

Billy Sharp, personally would love him here - would thrive (for me) in this Derby side, the way we've set up and play is perfect for him and him for us. I don't know how realistic it is, but, because he got neck ache from chasing long balls played by forest after SOD went, don't blame him! 

Simeon Jackson, who knows - norwich fans don't rate him, scored a few goals in this league - including 3 against us, for a reasonable free he'd be worth a bite of the cherry. 

Billy Sharp and James Vaughan would be my favourite.

Matty Fryatt, Martyn Waghorn (not mentioned) and Simoen Jackson behind them two 

Lee Novak, along with Darius Henderson, Jamie Vardy, Rudy Gestede...etc 

I think both Billy Sharp and James Vaughan would thrive with this midfield, think either would improve us significantly, but because of that I won't hold my breathe. 

Russell

Vaughan

Fryatt

If those 3 turn us down/go to a different club we need a rethink. I'd be annoyed if Waghorn was the man to be our other 'quality' striker. Maybe look at Grigg or Wells, but both only played at league 2 level.

I really don't think Waghorn will ever play for Derby.

I don't believe it was Leicester messing us about over our attempts at a loan, I think it was the player instructing them that he didn't want to come here, with them then having to make an excuse on his behalf.

No evidence, just a gut feeling.

Yes he did, but the poster was going on about the start of the season. Birmingham was about a third of the season gone, so that match wasn't part of Tyson's '5 in 4' streak which actually turned out to be 2 in 2

Sorry mate. Didn't read all of the thread.

I don't understand why anyone would want Waghorn - he's hardly a prolific scorer.

Career average is not much better than 1 in 6 and only managed 3 in 22 appearances last season.

Apparently pretty good at hitting post and cross-bar though.

What we should remember is that both Sammon and Ward both scored as many as anyone in Cardiff or Hull sides so the

20-goal-a-season striker isn't that important and could create an over-reliance on one player.

I don't understand why anyone would want Waghorn - he's hardly a prolific scorer.

Career average is not much better than 1 in 6 and only managed 3 in 22 appearances last season.

Apparently pretty good at hitting post and cross-bar though.

What we should remember is that both Sammon and Ward both scored as many as anyone in Cardiff or Hull sides so the

20-goal-a-season striker isn't that important and could create an over-reliance on one player.

Yep totally agree with this, I don't think this side necessarily needs the classic 20 goal man (these are obviously nice to have) but we would benefit from something slightly different to what we have.

If we have 4 strikers next season plus Bennett and we rotate them so they stay sufficiently fresh I think a return of 50-60 goals between them would be a decent return.

Each striker we have has at least 10-15 goals in him at this level and the fourth addition would probably come into this bracket too, with Bennett possibly adding a few into the mix if he gets a few cameo appearances.

Any new striker, for me, would have to offer us something different to allow us to change it up, a bit of raw pace perhaps or a player like Theo who has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. We create enough chances for most strikers to do okay, I think Vaughn would be a good addition but there's probably something in getting a lower league striker, who's hungry to prove himself.

It would be nice to think the midfield could add a few more goals to their game Coutts and Hughes in particular, we know Bryson and Hendrick will chip in with 5 or so each and the centre halves probably have say 7 between them.

I don't think scoring goals is necessarily the problem home or away but I do appreciate that we need to be a little bit more clinical away from home at times but if we're rotating the strikers a bit better, they're likely to be a bit more hungry and that in itself could see a better return on chances away from home.

Agree with the last post but one,apart from the lower league striker.Vaughan has proved he can score goals at this level,given an extended run of fitness and he seems hungry enough to me.It would be a disaster to get a lower league striker who flopped at this level-absolutely the last thing we need.

Agree with the last post but one,apart from the lower league striker.Vaughan has proved he can score goals at this level,given an extended run of fitness and he seems hungry enough to me.It would be a disaster to get a lower league striker who flopped at this level-absolutely the last thing we need.

Most signings are gambles.

Vaughan, I agree has the talent and ability to give us that something extra and different but has an injury record which would represent a gamble. Higher wages, fair sized price tag I would imagine. However, I'd like to see him here, I think it's a gamble worth taking if he's rotated with Ward for example to keep them fresh.

A striker from league 1 or 2, who's shown an aptitude for scoring goals would also be a gamble but a different kind of one and probably a cheaper one.

It's horses for courses for me to be honest, I think the addition of a 4th striker would benefit us but I don't think we need to break the bank to do it because we're not exactly crying out for a star striker.

I happen to think a quality CB is much more important!

My general point was that any half decent striker will get chances playing in this side and we don't necessarily need someone to bang in 25 goals all on his own

I'd agree with most that we dont really lack goals and that the top teams dont necessarily need to have a top goalscorer.

I think our issue is that we struggle to score goals at vital times particularly away form home and I think somebody of Vaughans ability should help with that.

Although we've scored a lot of goals this year that is heavily skewed to goals at home against teams we've dominated. We need somebody who will score half chances away from home so that we can actually win games we dont deserve too.

What we need is pretty specific, we have most of it all in place at home apart from the fact we're rubbish in the penalty area. Most of our players aren't even bad at putting the balls in, trouble is someone's very rarely there.

If we have a decent finisher who's difficult to mark, we'd be pummelling every team at Pride Park. We won't get one of them though.

So long as it's someone who just stays near the friggin box, we'll probably punish teams more heavily at home at least, and might be able to make counter-attacking football work away from home.

It's the Championship - this mystery striker doesn't even have to be good. He just has to be a bit like Theo Robinson, only slightly less atrocious at the other aspects of the game which doesn't involved poking in a ball from 2 yards out.

Theo suited our style of play because he always stays up top. I don't think the world game has seen a player with his positional sense since Gary Linekar....however, I also hope the world never sees a player so obviously lacking in any sort of footballing talent again, much less be paid so much for it.

Theo was always going to get a dozen goals for us because our style of play suits that kind of player, but he's so obviously not good enough for a play-off team that I'm surprised there's any debate in keeping him at all. Great player to have if you want to stay up, but he's just not what's required for the next stage.

I don't rate Jackson, but if Theo Robinson can score goals for us, so can he. That's why I'm not against it.

You know what.....Jackson might just be a square peg for a square hole.

I personally would prefer more attacking football, as much as anything because it stops the opposition from scoring!!!

I agree we don't need a 20 goals man. I said a couple of weeks ago that it actually weakens a team to over-rely on a player. It certainly affected Derby County in the 03/04 season (?) where Rasiak was relied upon, and even played when injured in the play-offs v Preston.

Credit to Clough, I rarely give him any, but to create a side that doesn't rely on anyone is hard to do. The fact we won tough games with injuries to key players is something to be positive and complimentary about. Many sides in this league, now they're all trimming their squads, will struggle with a couple of injuries next season. If their star players hit a barren spell too, you can see them plummetting.

Fear not, Nigel Clough as a long list of strikers in mind this Summer.

"We have four or five names on our list and we're looking to get one of those through the door this summer".

I take it you mean this as a criticism?

I see it as a relaxed way of dealing with constant press questions, agent requests etc.

I am old and cynical and have seen it all at Derby over the years yet I just don't see that statement as negative. 

Is it me?

I take it you mean this as a criticism?

I see it as a relaxed way of dealing with constant press questions, agent requests etc.

I am old and cynical and have seen it all at Derby over the years yet I just don't see that statement as negative. 

Is it me?

It's not you, it's me :wub:

Archived