Tony Pulis leaving Stoke

GeneralRam

What is it with these twobit clubs getting ideas above their station as soon as they have a decent year or two in the PL?

Saw the same thing with Charlton - their lot were constantly moaning about Curbishley "not being able to take them to the next level" - they found another level soon after he left....League One in 3 years.

Ditto Wolves - yes great history but on current status they should have been happy merely to be in the PL. McCarthy delivers, keeps them up - turns out that isn't enough so out he goes (I don't even think they were bottom 3 when he went). 2 years later, League One.

Stoke will live to regret this. Yes the style is hideous but its effective & to be honest, it suits that club to a tee. This is as good as its going to get for them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Pulis did a wonderful work to get Stoke stabilised in the Premier. But now they need someone new to take the team to the next level. They have a good financial situation and with the right guy in charge they can move forward.

I'm a bit of believer in momentum with football clubs though, and I reckon Stoke have run their race.

Which is why this change is perfect for them. No manager has to come in and make drastic changes. Pulis has set basic foundations and made them quite a decent job to take on. I hate them even more now. They'll probably land a decent manager who likes good football. He'll slowly introduce more control and better players....

Oh ffs.

Still wouldn't want Pulis and his foundations here. I hate watching hoofball. Blokes paid a fortune to kick the ball and people as hard as possible. Plus he talks like a tit.

That's what they said about Charlton when Curbs left. They went from strength to strength.

I'm a bit of believer in momentum with football clubs though, and I reckon Stoke have run their race.

I too do think that Stoke's glory days are over. But with right people doing right moves for them they could overtake teams like WBA, Hammers or Everton.

Pulis must be loaded and not worried about money at all..

Because there is no way on God's green earth that he's going to land another job at a similar sized club.. The only way for him is backwards, and despite Stoke's success, I can't see any fans of any clubs in the top 2 tiers being ahppy appointing him..

He'll drive the fans away immediately.

He's done a really good job with Stoke though.. Anyone who can take a club from the NPC, give them 5 years in the PL with a cup final and a European run has done a really good job.. It's just a shame it was all built on dire football but I don't think Pulis or the owner cared a jot about that.

Hull, Stoke and Sunderland relegation treble might be a good bet.

No way will Cardiff stay up..

Cardiff, Hull and Palace (if they go up) for the drop..

They're simply not going to bve able to compete.. If Wigan couldn't this season, then how will those 3 who all have far weaker squads and are built on percentage football that might work in the NPC but not the PL.

No way will Cardiff stay up..

Cardiff, Hull and Palace (if they go up) for the drop..

They're simply not going to bve able to compete.. If Wigan couldn't this season, then how will those 3 who all have far weaker squads and are built on percentage football that might work in the NPC but not the PL.

Hull are not rich and will be found out bit like Reading and Burnley in previous season, make a good fight of it but lack quality.

Stoke will try to change style like Bolton and it will catch them out and they have been one of the worst sides in 2013, can see players leaving and the dressing room isn't in the best place at the moment

Sunderland, di Canio is just a mad-case and not up to PL management, honeymoon period kept them up but there were signs at the end of the season that it was ending, he is good tactically but man management lets him down in the modern era of player.

Think Cardiff will spend their way into survival (by a couple of points bit like QPR 2012) and I have assumed Watford will go up and they will be able to sign fringe Udinese players again. Both need to improve though.

You could have got 16/1 on QPR finishing bottom last season, how on earth were they so big.

I think Pulis did a wonderful work to get Stoke stabilised in the Premier. But now they need someone new to take the team to the next level. They have a good financial situation and with the right guy in charge they can move forward.

What is the next level? Compare and contrast this with our plight, do we have the right person to take us to the next level? Seems a ridiculous decision IMHO bearing in mind that Stoke were playing in Europe not long ago

That's what they said about Charlton when Curbs left. They went from strength to strength.

True. I hope they sink.

Just looks like an easy job. Can defend. Few decent footballers that choose to play hoofball. Decent striking options.

The basics are in place for somebody to come in and slowly do away with the barbarians.

Mark Hughes will be sniffing though once he gets dragged away from Goodison Park gates.

Don't really see this about Stoke playing hoofball.

They deploy long throws and they do throw it up top a fair bit, but that's not all there is to their game. They get it wide and get the ball in the box. They're brutish in the tackle and fiercely aggressive all over the pitch and I think this sometimes gets mistaken as hoofball. I dont think they're a complete long ball team like Wimbledon in the 90's.

I love their organisation as well, although perhaps not this season just gone. I played in defence so always drawn to that side of the game, although understand it doesn't float everyone's boat.

Only problem I have with them is they can't handle the aggression they dish out. A CB jumps up with Crouch and it's arms in the air for a free kick. Hypocrisy at it's best.

Oh and their fans. I don't like them.

I really like Pulis, man and manager. He's turned a poor Championship team in to a steady Premiership team but sometimes a change is right, particularly after 7 years. If the players aren't responding to him then you have to shake it up.

It's either a really interesting (and expensive) project for a 'ball on the ground' manager, or a perfect blueprint for an Allardyce type manager to walk in on.

He had one of the hardest working, most organised teams in the premier league - he did what he had to do to be successful, this year it slackened off and towards the end it was squeaky bum time! I think a lot his reputation is just over-milked about the long ball, they used what they had to win games, is there anything wrong with that? if anything he should be applauded for spotting teams weaknesses and going for the jugular... 

Stoke are a mid-table second division side, he has done an incredible job with them - a truly incredible job! the slack he is getting is not right IMO and as someone else has already pointed out, can only see Stoke going one way! l also can't see Pulis getting another premier league job, although for any championship team he would be able to give them a chance of promotion on the back of what he endorses - he is like Billy Davies in many ways, just knows how to use players to their largest effect! 

It's May 21st, predicting how well managerless Stoke will do, who will get relegated and so on is a tad daft, at least wait until September 1st and see who Stoke bring in, I guarantee you they won't have the exact same squad as they do today, nor will they be playing Pulis tactics.

There's some talk amongst stokies of Pulis falling out with the owners daughter. Peter Coates built up the Bet365 business but has handed over the running of it to his son and daughter. The kids want to invest in the long term for Stoke and create an academy  to provide talent rather than buying the finished article. Pulis, it is said, would prefer the cash up front to buy ready made players who can maintain the premiership status quo.

Supposedly this led to the fall out and the parting of the ways.

Archived