Tony Pulis leaving Stoke

GeneralRam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gone to Pot: Stoke boss Tony Pulis to leave the club by mutual consent

Stoke City will part company with manager Tony Pulis after a total of ten years at the Britannia Stadium.

Pulis first took the Potters' top job in 2002, and despite spending a season at Plymouth Argyle in 2005, he returned to the club and got them promoted to the Premier League for the first time.

The Welshman, 55, established the club in the top flight playing a unique brand of football, taking them to an FA Cup final in 2011 and into Europe.

The Potters were narrowly eliminated in the knockout stages by Valencia, but a disappointing season this year and an unpopular style of play has led to increasing supporter unrest.

Pulis last week dismissed speculation about his future and maintainted he wants to carry on as boss, despite the flak.

"Ten years ago, I stood in front of 300-400 people in the Waddington Suite," he said

"And told everyone I was very, very proud to be Stoke City manager and I'm still very proud to be Stoke City manager today,"

revealed the Welshman but he is now set to depart the Staffordshire club.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tony-pulis-leaves-stoke-city-1902582

This is good for Stoke though. Pulis did get them in a good position and now, with the right appointment they can kick on. Pulis wouldn't take them any further would he? They are established enough now to be able to attract a decent manager.

They might actually start playing football now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22614097

Tony Pulis is set to leave as manager of Stoke City following talks with chairman Peter Coates on Tuesday.

Pulis's future has been in doubt for some time and he has been told the club feel the time is right to part ways after seven years in charge.

The 55-year-old was appointed Potters boss for a second time in 2006, and two years later he guided the club to the top flight after a 23-year absence.

Stoke finished 13th in 2012-13 to secure a sixth Premier League campaign.

More to follow

the odd thing is, they have players suited to a better brand of football than they currently play.

Which is why this change is perfect for them. No manager has to come in and make drastic changes. Pulis has set basic foundations and made them quite a decent job to take on. I hate them even more now. They'll probably land a decent manager who likes good football. He'll slowly introduce more control and better players....

Oh ffs.

Still wouldn't want Pulis and his foundations here. I hate watching hoofball. Blokes paid a fortune to kick the ball and people as hard as possible. Plus he talks like a tit.

Say what you will about Stoke's football...it worked.

Having said that, he's taken them as far as they can go. They'll never be proper European material under him.

Although they were quite good in the Cup.

Can't say I'm sorry to see him go. Now's definitely the right time to act. So many clubs are appointing managers around them far better suited to the modern game. Southampton, for example, will probably leave Stoke behind in the next few seasons if they get the stability under their current manager. Hard to see them finishing above Swansea any time soon as well, even if they do lose Laudrup.

I think he has done a great job to be fair, like any manager you can pick good and bad signings but from where they were when he took over and where they are now you can't complain. I wouldn't be suprised if they did a charlton who hounded curbs out.

They didn't realise what they'd got. Forget the style, they got results. It only started to go wrong when he split from his principles and started trying to sign players who could play a bit instead of his usual brick outhouse crew. Michael Owen? At Stoke? Behave. They ended up neither one thing or another.

I don't think it matters who they get in, I reckon they'll go down next term.

I think Pulis did a wonderful work to get Stoke stabilised in the Premier. But now they need someone new to take the team to the next level. They have a good financial situation and with the right guy in charge they can move forward.

Archived