Outs.

TroyDyer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bailey was the same here as he was at Crewe, he can pick a perfect pass out but after it's like he wants the match to stop for ten minutes whilst people applaud and sing his name and that's what p*ssed the Crewies off. I said all along that we should have gone for Westwood...

Nice lad though.

Bailey was the same here as he was at Crewe, he can pick a perfect pass out but after it's like he wants the match to stop for ten minutes whilst people applaud and sing his name and that's what p*ssed the Crewies off. I said all along that we should have gone for Westwood...

Nice lad though.

I liked Bailey, cracking signing and very nearly turned out to be a top player. Maybe lacks an ounce of physicality or mental strength to be a decent championship player.

Well worth a punt at the time.

I'm not fussed about Bailey staying at all. 18 months ago, he was probably our best midfielder - the only one really able to pick a pass but in my eyes, he's been overtaken by Hughes & Hendrick in terms of pure ability & Bryson in terms of workrate. Throw in Coutts who arguably looks better in the centre & I think it would be fair to say Bailey has 4 CM's in front of him. Probably a measure of how we've developed as a squad in the last 2 years.

I would however try & keep Theo & one of FF/Ledgzins if at all possible. I know all 3 want first team football that we can't guarantee but I think 2 of the 3 who could stay would still have a big part to play next season - particularly Theo's goals in tight games.

Well maybe because all the players going out are players that Clough has signed in the last 2 years or less. So isnt he slagging them off? This constantly revolving door is all very well, maybe its a way of refreshing the squad. But  oldies like me find it a bit bewildering, Grant goes out replaced by Camp, then Bywater, then Carroll, then back to Bywater, then Fielding, then Lezgdins and now back to Grant again. What have we gained? Nothing.   

Bywater was number one for a lot of games. I'm pretty sure he was number one from almost day one when NC took over?

In other words he got his chance to prove he was good enough. He lost the plot.

Frank was number one for a lot of games. He got his chance to prove he was good enough. He's a top lad but he's a bit reckless on occasions. He's young. He's going to be a very decent keeper when he matures.

Adam, number one for 30 games consecutive and got his chance to show he was good enough. He's a lovely lad but he's been a bit too hesitant and can look shaky when the balls in the air in the 18 yard box ( maybe even too often on the edge of the 6 yard box). He's gone from looking confident, immaculate and calm under pressure to occasionally panicky and poor with his distribution.

He shows them faith until they make a couple of mistakes in consecutive games. Then I think he loses trust, maybe you could say he loses trust too quickly but how many screw ups should he allow before he moves on to someone else?

We've got to improve. Everyone keeps saying it. Even though he's had a lot of backing time wise from the board, even NC knows he's got to improve the league points tally by 10-12points next season. No excuses.

What we had last season was good but he's got to find better. No time for emotional ties to the players, for fans that can seem weird but I'd prefer he was ruthless, we improved AND he kept his job.

He either thinks Grant is a better all round keeper, or he thinks he's going to be a bit more experienced in key situations. If he's wrong it'll cost him his job.

It's an exciting season coming up for all of us. No matter which side of the fence you may lean towards.

I really wish we'd stop building up next season as "make or break", we've been doing this for the past two seasons, and guess what... it wasn't make or break at all. You know where we'll end up, about 8th-12th with a modest improvement in consistently and probably 5-10 points off the playoffs. We'll have a period of dreaming of the playoffs, being at the edge of them for some time, and some time with relegation panic despite being in the top half, but I don't really see it as all that make or break. Who knows, we might make the playoffs, but ultimately without something truly special this transfer window we're in for a disappointing season if we really are expecting the playoffs.

Losing Brayford, Hendrick, Bryson or Ward would be massive hit to the side for next season, and to be blunt, along side signing a leftback and an experienced centrehalf, making sure they are here next season and beyond is the key signings. If we're going to plod along slowly climbing, then we better damn well actually be building something. This club isn't a certain popular 90s shooter franchise, even if we call it "The Rams: Forever" we can't spend 12 years building, tearing down and building again only to end up with utter toss at the end of it anyhow, that just wouldn't be acceptable. If we're building I damn well want to see that we are stable, that we can hold onto our core of key players, that we're actually building on something.

I really wish we'd stop building up next season as "make or break", we've been doing this for the past two seasons, and guess what... it wasn't make or break at all. You know where we'll end up, about 8th-12th with a modest improvement in consistently and probably 5-10 points off the playoffs. We'll have a period of dreaming of the playoffs, being at the edge of them for some time, and some time with relegation panic despite being in the top half, but I don't really see it as all that make or break. Who knows, we might make the playoffs, but ultimately without something truly special this transfer window we're in for a disappointing season if we really are expecting the playoffs.

Losing Brayford, Hendrick, Bryson or Ward would be massive hit to the side for next season, and to be blunt, along side signing a leftback and an experienced centrehalf, making sure they are here next season and beyond is the key signings. If we're going to plod along slowly climbing, then we better damn well actually be building something. This club isn't a certain popular 90s shooter franchise, even if we call it "The Rams: Forever" we can't spend 12 years building, tearing down and building again only to end up with utter toss at the end of it anyhow, that just wouldn't be acceptable. If we're building I damn well want to see that we are stable, that we can hold onto our core of key players, that we're actually building on something.

I'm not suggesting it's make or break for Derby County Football club Albert or even for the squad of players.

I'm suggesting Nigel won't be given another year to establish us as play off contenders.

In my opinion he HAS to have us competing in or around the top 6 or the board will look for someone else.

I don't think it will be an issue anyway. I think we'll do well next year and he'll be around for a while to come.

I'm not suggesting it's make or break for Derby County Football club Albert or even for the squad of players.

I'm suggesting Nigel won't be given another year to establish us as play off contenders.

In my opinion he HAS to have us competing in or around the top 6 or the board will look for someone else.

I don't think it will be an issue anyway. I think we'll do well next year and he'll be around for a while to come.

That's what people said after the disaster that was the second half of 10-11 as well. That's what people were saying this time last year. I still think that the only thing that will see Nigel gone is a complete disaster of a season, and I honestly don't mind that. What I do mind is the idea that we are "building" towards something, and potentially not able to hold onto the core of the squad. Any key sales this summer will be a slap in the face of the last 4 years unless it is absolutely ridiculous money and reinvested, and even then, more than one key sale would be a statement of intent in it's own right.

I think the decision to sign Grant is a brave one and certainly shows plenty of ambition from Clough. The easy choice would have been to stick with Fielding or Ledgzins (clearly one might be on the way with both wishing to be #1), but moving for Grant suggests that Clough recognises that neither are currently quite where they need to be for us to move into the top 6 picture next year. It is also convenient that Grant was on a free and we might make a bit of money selling either of FF or AL to use elsewhere.

I really wish we'd stop building up next season as "make or break", 

Albert, agree that the term make or break has become slightly hackneyed lately, I would choose to use phrase "step change" instead - Clough needs to deliver a step change next season in league position and points, not a quantum leap, but a step change from our normal oscillations around the 10th position in the league. Why? Because the natives are getting restless, I agree our performances have improved at home anyway last season but this now needs to translate into points to take us into the Top 6 places.

SillyBilly

I'm not an advocate of the playoff system, top 3 should be promoted on merit. Considering we're a fair way off even scraping a top 6 finish, I don't think we are any more serious about promotion than another 15 or so teams hoping they can win the playoff lottery.

Albert, agree that the term make or break has become slightly hackneyed lately, I would choose to use phrase "step change" instead - Clough needs to deliver a step change next season in league position and points, not a quantum leap, but a step change from our normal oscillations around the 10th position in the league. Why? Because the natives are getting restless, I agree our performances have improved at home anyway last season but this now needs to translate into points to take us into the Top 6 places.

Normal oscillations? Which Derby have you been watching over the last few years?

"DWHKvfu" alt="DWHKvfu">

This isn't an oscillation, we are moving upwards.

I like that graph, so if we extrapolate it then we will take about another 3-4 season to get into 6th position and the playoffs?

Not necessarily. It could be like global warming - jolly hockey-sticks.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe I'm so distracted by the Russell affair that I've missed it but is anyone else slightly worried about the lack of rumours around our surplus players?

I said from the minute we signed Grant that we'd struggle to shift Fielding & Legz for a decent fee as it's a buyers market for them – we're like the homeowners on a bridging loan just desperate to get rid at all costs so we're not paying for two (or in this case THREE houses)

But what about the others? No rumours about Theo, Tyson & Bailey? I'd have thought they are all attractive targets to CCC or L1 clubs

By their very nature the players we're trying to get rid of will be lower priority for other clubs I would think,

I expect our 'outs' won't see much movement until towards the end of the summer as clubs start to get a little more slap dash with their buying!

Also I think we're doing our business earlier than most this summer it seems, 3/4 players almost through the door by the start of June is pretty good going.

• 2 weeks later...

My colleague has just shown me a link on some rumour site saying Swansea are after Conor Sammon.

I might hoover the car... I'll drive him there myself.

The only rumour I found so far was on "www.transfer-rumours.co.uk". I think you can leave the car to another time.

Archived