Seven made available for transfer

admira

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that 7 are going, I'm hoping we sign at least 7 players, because our squad is so small and lacking in depth, e.g. We signed O'Cnner last year.

But majority of the 7 weren't ever really in the squad or available to play. On loan or injured...

Bailey was pants in League 1, according to my work colleagues (Coventry fans)

Really?

I speak to a Cov fan sometimes and he says he's clearly quality but he's got to have something to work with.

Judging the Bailey we saw I think he's a decent player that just needs to find a team he fits. A team that he can just be a link in. A lot of sides play 442 at this level. The guy gets a nose bleed if he has to attack.

I liked him in DM in our 4231. Shame he had a donkey next to him.

Naylor is the only odd one really, had a good spell and looked promising as "one fo the future". Not sure what happened there but they were impressed with him at Grimsby so maybe his level is non-league/League 2

Or perhaps Naylor is indicative of how Clough was forced to shop at the bottom end of the market for so long?

I think it's more likely that there's just too many other people ahead of Naylor in the pecking order maybe?

RB - Brayford and Freeman

CB - Keogh, Bucko, Barker (from Oct), OB (from Oct 2017) and Gjokaj

plus any new signings...

I would have thought it's the same situation with all of them to be honest... I'd keep Bailey and Tyson, but not fair to either to keep them as 4/5th choice players...

O'Connor isn't good enough... saw one of the derby blogs early in the season who attributed more than 50% of our goals conceded to him at that point... Looks more composed than Bucko, but makes more mistakes... and isn't a hero... like St Bucko (the people's champion)

Theo is playing a league above his ability, he'll tear League 1 apart...

Feilding and Legzdins are both decent keepers, but if you've brought somone new in they're not gonna be happy player 2nd and 3rd fiddle

Really?

I speak to a Cov fan sometimes and he says he's clearly quality but he's got to have something to work with.

Judging the Bailey we saw I think he's a decent player that just needs to find a team he fits. A team that he can just be a link in. A lot of sides play 442 at this level. The guy gets a nose bleed if he has to attack.

I liked him in DM in our 4231. Shame he had a donkey next to him.

You may well be right - and he would probably be a good player in a 'diamond' formation with Will at the other sharp end - but in a flat four......

Legzdins - is a decent championship keeper - never really let us down, was hoping he would stay on as number two but obviously as a keeper you're in a bit of a predicament, if I was him I would stick around and prove he can dislodge Grant as number one, like he did fielding.

Fielding - is a good championship keeper - he is a keeper with terrific ability IMO, he was very good last season and this season he has been blighted with suspensions, and being ousted as number one - I think he'll end up going cheap and whoever gets him will get a bargain, think Birmingham for Burke makes sense. 

O'Connor - decent championship defender - well, I say defender - he is a very good championship footballing defender but not so much on the defensive side, looks calm, composed and intelligent in possession, but defensively looks a bit suspect - individual errors have let him down.

Naylor - Potential there - he was fantastic last season for what we was expecting, okay, he acted as a stop gap but he did a good job and never let us down, I think he'll get a good move to someone league one probably and wouldn't be surprised to see him work up the leagues.

Bailey - decent championship player - did well in league one, clearly can play at this level - disappointed it's gone this way but I'm sure he'll find a good club, good passer of the ball perhaps needs more motivation and responsibility but we've got 4 centre midfielders better than him, and we need an experienced head in there too.. so makes sense.

Theo - not really sure - will score goals at this level, and probably will get a move in the championship but he needs to be baby fed chances, we put them on a plate and he did okay - Huddersfield didn't and he struggled to make the bench at the end of his loan. 

Tyson - okay championship player - injury prone and relatively big wages.. think he'll struggle finding a club soon, but think he'll be a panic buy either for a championship side or a league one side, hope he does well where ever he goes - came under a lot of scrutiny and it didn't pay off, unfortunately.

If I was a championship manager, at somewhere with a tight budget, Barnsley etc., I'd take Bailey and Legzdins or Fielding straight away, all three can play and I guess we'd be letting them go relatively cheaply.

The other 4 are League 1 players.

Legzdins - is a decent championship keeper - never really let us down, was hoping he would stay on as number two but obviously as a keeper you're in a bit of a predicament, if I was him I would stick around and prove he can dislodge Grant as number one, like he did fielding.

Fielding - is a good championship keeper - he is a keeper with terrific ability IMO, he was very good last season and this season he has been blighted with suspensions, and being ousted as number one - I think he'll end up going cheap and whoever gets him will get a bargain, think Birmingham for Burke makes sense. 

O'Connor - decent championship defender - well, I say defender - he is a very good championship footballing defender but not so much on the defensive side, looks calm, composed and intelligent in possession, but defensively looks a bit suspect - individual errors have let him down.

Naylor - Potential there - he was fantastic last season for what we was expecting, okay, he acted as a stop gap but he did a good job and never let us down, I think he'll get a good move to someone league one probably and wouldn't be surprised to see him work up the leagues.

Bailey - decent championship player - did well in league one, clearly can play at this level - disappointed it's gone this way but I'm sure he'll find a good club, good passer of the ball perhaps needs more motivation and responsibility but we've got 4 centre midfielders better than him, and we need an experienced head in there too.. so makes sense.

Theo - not really sure - will score goals at this level, and probably will get a move in the championship but he needs to be baby fed chances, we put them on a plate and he did okay - Huddersfield didn't and he struggled to make the bench at the end of his loan. 

Tyson - okay championship player - injury prone and relatively big wages.. think he'll struggle finding a club soon, but think he'll be a panic buy either for a championship side or a league one side, hope he does well where ever he goes - came under a lot of scrutiny and it didn't pay off, unfortunately.

There's a job for you in Tony Blair's government... ;)

Just kidding, I agree, I think it shows a sign of how far we've come and where we want to be going that we're moving relatively decent players on - I think Grant is a step up from the two we're letting go, Martin is a better footballer than either Tyson or Theo, he just needs some fitness work and a good pre-season, hopefully other signings will follow in a similar vain.

I'd like to see some of the youngsters coming into the matchday squad in place of these outgoings i.e. Morch over Deeney

Losing both Fielding and Legz I'm unhappy with. I like bailey, as others have said but I'm not hugely concerned, provided we sign some better players. No point losing them and signing similar as we have done in the past.

600k max for the lot of them, anything more and we're deluding ourselves

I can see 3 or 4 of them moving for nominal fees - or player exchanges - then a couple of frees and one Moxey-type fee.

TobyWanKenobi

I'd like to see some of the youngsters coming into the matchday squad in place of these outgoings i.e. Morch over Deeney

I think in the long run that will happen, however when you consider development of players, it makes far more sense for players like Morch, Hanson and Lelan, to play 90 minutes on a Saturday for a youth team, than to watch 90 minutes from a bench, or play for 120 seconds at the end of the game.

What's the situation with Callum Ball now? Hardly set the world alight at Cov, doubt he's part of the plans.
Aslong as we replace those players with better players, I'm not fussed about any of them leaving. Clough hasn't always replaced players with improvements. 

I've said in another thread, I'm not too fussed about these, credit to Clough for his honesty. It's up to those players to now get a move, or do a Ben Davies and get back in the reckoning.

Whilst it's down to Clough and co to judge, like a few on here, I have a high opinion of James Bailey. He does the job that goes un-noticed, bit like a watered down version of Michael Carrick, and there are plenty who cannot see what he does.

I think Bailey offers something that none of the others do. But good luck to him. I felt similar for David Jones before Jewell bombed him out, and he's had a steady, if unspectacular career.

I suppose I just like players who can kick a ball properly.

Archived