end of season review

I think the summer signings will transform us into a team who WILL seriously challenge the top 6 next season. if not he's gone.

We're much better than "solid" at home by the way. We're very good.

We'll go into games next year believing we will beat anyone at pride park. Teams will respect us a lot more, especially with the summer additions.  If we get the experienced players we're targetting there will be a lot of managers in this division fancying our chances.

There will not be a pundit around who tips us for anything other than a play off push, the view of us as a club from outsiders is more positive than it is from our own fans.

We'll sign an experienced striker plus Martin to give us options to freshen things up, up top.

We'll sign an experienced centre half and another leader to help us tie things up and freshen things up at the back.

We'll sign a very solid left back.

We'll sign a goalkeeper who is in his prime and very experienced at this level.

We'll add all of that to the decent core we've already got. We'll watch Hughes get better, we'll hopefully watch jeff dominate the midfield even more and with the added experience maybe we'll stop throwing away games away.

I can't see how it can be a negative summer. I'm already looking forward to August 3rd. We're going to be very decent next season.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're almost there. The only thing we lack is consistency, obviously this points to our away form which must improve.

With a bigger squad that has first team potentials on the bench as well as in the first XI, we'll improve upon our performances and league position next season.

It's up to the backroom and coaching staff now.

Oh, we also lack a decent goal scorer who performs consistently.

I think the summer signings will transform us into a team who WILL seriously challenge the top 6 next season. if not he's gone.

We'll go into games next year believing we will beat anyone at pride park. Teams will respect us a lot more, especially with the summer additions.  If we get the experienced players we're targetting there will be a lot of managers in this division fancying our chances.

There will not be a pundit around who tips us for anything other than a play off push, the view of us as a club from outsiders is more positive than it is from our own fans.

We'll sign an experienced striker plus Martin to give us options to freshen things up, up top.

We'll sign an experienced centre half and another leader to help us tie things up and freshen things up at the back.

We'll add all of that to the decent core we've already got. We'll watch Hughes get better, we'll hopefully watch jeff dominate the midfield even more and with the added experience maybe we'll stop throwing away games away.

I can't see how it can be a negative summer. I'm already looking forward to August 3rd. We're going to be very decent next season.

Or as is more likely none of the above,and finish at best mid-table as usual with diminishing attendances and zero

atmosphere.

If this season had followed on immediately from 2008-09 then we would be hailing nigel as a genius.

2008-09 finished 18th 54 points

Scored 54: conceded 67

the mainstays of the team were hulse, connolly, albrechtsen, bywater, commons and green.

Top scorer: hulse 14

2009-10 finished 14th 56points

Scored 53: conceded 63

the mainstays of the team were savage, bywater, pearson, barker, green, hulse

Top scorer: hulse 12

2010-11 finished 19th 49points

Scored 58: conceded 71

the mainstays of the team were brayford, barker, savage, green, and bailey,

Top scorer: commons 13

2011-12 finished 12th 64points

Scored 50: conceded 58

the mainstays of the team were shackell, fielding, bryson, roberts, hendrick, ward.

Top scorer: davies 11

2012-13 finished 10th 61points

Scored 65: conceded 62

the mainstays of the team were keogh, coutts, hendrick, sammon, brayford, bryson

Top scorer: ward 12

Nigel can show improvement from 2008-09

The problem he has is that there was little or no progress for the first 2 and a half seasons......

Last year with shackell, and bryson things looked noticeably better.

This year we have missed shackell at times, but we have also sustained last years improvement.

The squad is certainly getting better.

:)

So there's been a general upward trend in league position - one dip where we failed to finish higher than the previous season.

Or 2 dips in points totals.2 out of 4 not great progess over 4 seasons.I should add in case you may have

fogotten that season 2010-2011 and the 49 points was a new low for the club,the lowest ever achieved by

a Derby side since the 3 points for a win rule came in.

Or 2 dips in points totals.2 out of 4 not great progess over 4 seasons.I should add in case you may have

fogotten that season 2010-2011 and the 49 points was a new low for the club,the lowest ever achieved by

We looked very impressive before that disaster began though. The loss of Commons, injury woes and the decline of Bueno cost us dearly that season. Ultimately we got out of that mess without going down, and to be blunt that second half was a disaster by almost any measure, but it's not like there was nothing from the season to build on, and we have built from it. There is a clear upward trend and as things are now we are two seasons on the bounce in the top half and have finished top 10. We have a young squad, some good players and as long as we can hold onto our key players and strengthen when needed, there is nothing to say that with a tighter defence we can't build on this season and push on now. If our away form can even become passable, if we can repeat some of that home form from this season we will be force.

But seeing as promotion is measured on league position and not points total which is more important?

I doubt Peterborough fans will see this season as improvement - or will they seeing as they got 4 more points

But seeing as promotion is measured on league position and not points total which is more important?

I doubt Peterborough fans will see this season as improvement - or will they seeing as they got 4 more points

Which ever one is more convenient to his argument of course.

http://www.ftbpro.com/reader/derby.county/171629/championship-derby-boss-nigel-clough-confident-of-promotion-push-next-season?ref=facebook&team=Derby+County

Derby County boss Nigel Clough is confident his side will be involved in next season's promotion shake-up.

Clough clinched his first top-10 finish in the Championship after Conor Sammon's late strike gave the Rams a 1-0 win over Millwall at Pride Park.

"It's lovely to finish 10th in the league," he said. "We know we've improved our performances this season.

"Our aim next season is to get four strikers of similar quality if we can, so if it's not quite working for the two playing we've got options. It's been too much this season; Conor's had to play 40-odd games.

"We're optimistic - we see what we've got out there now and it's not a team that's going to need breaking up in the next few seasons. We might only have one or two players over 30 going into next season.

"We just need a little bit more experience, we certainly need a centre-half as that's the only two we've got out there today, and we need a centre-forward.

"It's going to be tough again next season; some big teams missed out on the play-offs today and the teams coming up will be decent."

IF..

Which ever one is more convenient to his argument of course.

Thats rich coming from somebody who bored us all rigid a couple of weeks ago with endless charts and

graphs explaining how many points were needed to avoid relegation over the last umpteen years and

also to make play-offs.Suited your arguement then, even though you managed to get them wrong!

Thats rich coming from somebody who bored us all rigid a couple of weeks ago with endless charts and

graphs explaining how many points were needed to avoid relegation over the last umpteen years and

also to make play-offs.Suited your arguement then, even though you managed to get them wrong!

Lay off the charts and graphs

I'll start with the negatives and finish on the positives:-

Negatives:

We didn't address the Barker injury/replacement.

Playing 3 central midfielders when only 2 needed.

Not playing the right tactics for Sammon to thrive.

XI men behind the ball at set-pieces and when leading, inviting pressure

Manager's treatment of Theo, Jacobs, Ben Davies and Tyson.

Burning out Coutts and Hughes

Only being truly motivated for away games when at Elland Road and City Ground.

The 'Brayford in Midfield' experiment at Brighton which ruined momentum and started awful run.

Fans lack of dignity/integrity/class vocally for Sammon.

Poor Use of subs and squad. 

Selling Steve Davies.

Less Points in the league.

Poor cup performances.

Away points return

Positives:-

Hendrick

Results against Leeds and Forest.

Team Spirit. (Team reaction to Ben Davies scoring v Leeds was amazing!!)

Hughes

Improved league position (positions earn promotion, not points to be fair!)

Home form/points return.

Possession stats

Signing Jacobs

Signing Coutts

Being able to grind out a couple of results recently when TRULY needed.

Players' attitude, commitment, integrity and honesty.

Players interaction with fans.

Being competitive with a depleted squad.

Not being outclassed by ANY team.

Evidence proving we can win when we GO FOR IT.

Beating Leicester at home to end awful runs in both the league and against them.

Having NO leeches or overpaid and unwanted players draining resources.

We have not got worst at anything. IN some areas we've maintained and others improved.

We actually have assets at the club. Our players are actually coveted by other clubs.

The commitment of the manager and coaches. They are not treating Derby as a stepping stone.

http://www.ftbpro.com/reader/derby.county/171629/championship-derby-boss-nigel-clough-confident-of-promotion-push-next-season?ref=facebook&team=Derby+County

Derby County boss Nigel Clough is confident his side will be involved in next season's promotion shake-up.

Clough clinched his first top-10 finish in the Championship after Conor Sammon's late strike gave the Rams a 1-0 win over Millwall at Pride Park.

"It's lovely to finish 10th in the league," he said. "We know we've improved our performances this season.

"Our aim next season is to get four strikers of similar quality if we can, so if it's not quite working for the two playing we've got options. It's been too much this season; Conor's had to play 40-odd games.

"We're optimistic - we see what we've got out there now and it's not a team that's going to need breaking up in the next few seasons. We might only have one or two players over 30 going into next season.

"We just need a little bit more experience, we certainly need a centre-half as that's the only two we've got out there today, and we need a centre-forward.

"It's going to be tough again next season; some big teams missed out on the play-offs today and the teams coming up will be decent."

IF..

It's lovely that we finished 10th...what would it be if we finished 9th, fantastic? How about 8th, the mind boggles??

Not sure about the comment regards we need 4 strikers of similar quality, that worries me, does that mean then the other strikers Clough tries to bring in will be of similar quality as Sammon? What we need is strikers whom can score goals, not 2 strikers sitting on the bench with nothing more to offer than the forwards currently on the pitch

You're point about strikers cost money is such a weak, weak argument. If it had happened over one season, then yes you might have a point. As it's happened for 4-5 years where he's spent millions on other positions and countless other strikers have been discovered which have proven themselves at this level then it doesnt really wash.

Do I want a new manager every time we fail to make the play offs? No, but I do after he fails for 5 years on the trott where we havent even had a realistic chance with about 10 games to go.

I do realise where we were when Clough arrived, a squad full of average players on big wages. He's done really well to build a squad of average players on small wages, for that I applaud him. I also applaud him for making us a solid home outfit.

You still didnt answer my point about how you expect the away form to improve so we can have a realistic chance of promotion? The reason being, you cant, cos there's nothing to suggest it will.

What are your expectations for next season?

Clough has spent millions? Preposterous.

Clough can't buy strikers as he hasn't managed to find a cheap one that has been successful but even though everyone knows proven strikers do cost 'millions' is a weak weak argument? Insane.

Clough has failed 5 years on the trot? Your life is gonna be a big disappointment if you class these 5 seasons all as a failure.

Clough has taken a bunch of average players on high wages into a squad of average players on low wages. If this was true, then surely Clough has done great to make them into a tenth place team. Still, that's a failure despite your applause.

Solid at home? Surely we are as good as home as we are bad away. You've mentioned a few times what u think of our away performances so only a solid for home?

I didn't mention how I expect our away form to improve? Try reading the last line of first paragraph. If the board had backed Nigel over players like Hooper we would have had the striker Nige can't buy and this player would obviously improve our away form. This player would probably have got us enough points away this season to make playoffs without any real uplift in performance.

I expect us to improve again next season and should make playoffs, maybe challenge. Will depend more on others than us though. If Qpr, Reading, Forest, Leicester, other relegated team all spend a fortune wont be easy.

Clough has spent millions? Preposterous.

Clough can't buy strikers as he hasn't managed to find a cheap one that has been successful but even though everyone knows proven strikers do cost 'millions' is a weak weak argument? Insane.

Clough has failed 5 years on the trot? Your life is gonna be a big disappointment if you class these 5 seasons all as a failure.

Clough has taken a bunch of average players on high wages into a squad of average players on low wages. If this was true, then surely Clough has done great to make them into a tenth place team. Still, that's a failure despite your applause.

Solid at home? Surely we are as good as home as we are bad away. You've mentioned a few times what u think of our away performances so only a solid for home?

I didn't mention how I expect our away form to improve? Try reading the last line of first paragraph. If the board had backed Nigel over players like Hooper we would have had the striker Nige can't buy and this player would obviously improve our away form. This player would probably have got us enough points away this season to make playoffs without any real uplift in performance.

I expect us to improve again next season and should make playoffs, maybe challenge. Will depend more on others than us though. If Qpr, Reading, Forest, Leicester, other relegated team all spend a fortune wont be easy.

You've just twisted a few things I said, so well done for that.

It's a weak argument because lots of strikers have been bought by other clubs that arent 'proven'. Spending money on an expensive strikers doesnt guarantee goals. In his entire 5 years here, I expected us to mount at least one serious challenge for the play offs, in that respect he has failed. For you that's obviously ok, for me it isnt. 

When I said 'failed' I put it in response to making the play offs, he's failed to make the plays 5 seasons in a row, not that every season has been a failure. 

Ok, our home form is very good.

Can see how much you've thought/seen of our away performances, good striker=we'll win more away. If only it was that simple. Based on Cloughs inability to bring in a decent striker, we could be waiting a long time. 

Or as is more likely none of the above,and finish at best mid-table as usual with diminishing attendances and zero

atmosphere.

So, what would you like to see happen? Clough sacked, yep, I get that. Replaced by? Quantity of money you believe should be made available, and for which signings? Wage budget going to what level? Do you expect the current board to fund this or do you expect new owners? Lets have the top 6 finish manifesto in a bit of detail...

Archived