Is Nigel the one to take us forward..........

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so far Nigel HASN'T taken us forward, he's stopped us going backwards though, which he deserves credit for.

Nigel's mentality towards winning will undoubtedly prevent us from reaching the next few levels in MY opinion. 

So, NO. If going forwards is equal to being a play-off team, I don't think he's the man.

No I think I can find better odds at the bookies than that..

Ah so you want me to pay out, but you wouldn't reciprocate, Talking the talk, but not walking the walk. As usual. I would have thought the forum's leading football expert would back his judgement. How disappointing. 

Ah so you want me to pay out, but you wouldn't reciprocate, Talking the talk, but not walking the walk. As usual. I would have thought the forum's leading football expert would back his judgement. How disappointing. 

You're the one who is willing to bet money on us not finishing in the bottom 6.. You seem the more confident of the 2 of us, so why not offer me better odds..

I'm merely making a prediction..

But thanks for the acknowledgement of my footballing credentials.. In another life I would have been a coach, scout or expert journalist I'm sure.

He gets one every year,when he spends it sensibly and convinces that he won't blow it he may get

more.Can't see it happening.

Where has he wasted money this year?

I could re-hash all the old arguments about finances and so on, but basically I believe in him.

Absolute antithesis of Billy Davies. Billy will build a team, workmanlike, organised and pragmatic - that will get you so far, and sooner or later you'll run out of steam. Nigel is building a club; from the youngest kids up, he's got an inclusive approach, a philosophy of football, a bigger idea.

You can see the squad improving, slowly but surely, you can see the performances improving year on year. The performance level is more reliable now and of a higher standard. Get 4 or 5 of the names mentioned and I believe we'll tip over from playing well most games to winning most games.

I said weeks ago, I'm having £50 on automatic, and if I'm wrong you can laugh at me and I'll have a laugh too! Maybe I'm just a blind faither, but to me something is building here.

Great stuff. I agree with you. Thank you 

You're the one who is willing to bet money on us not finishing in the bottom 6.. You seem the more confident of the 2 of us, so why not offer me better odds..

I'm merely making a prediction..

But thanks for the acknowledgement of my footballing credentials.. In another life I would have been a coach, scout or expert journalist I'm sure.

Ha Ha Love it.  

Ok I pay out on bottom six. You pay out on higher position tan this season. 10th to 18th and we call it quits.

Clough to stay. A few more signing and we'll be top six next year. The board haven't given us loads of money but we're one of the only clubs that can stand on there own two feet. If you'd ask Portsmouth fans I bet they'd be happy with that. What's wrong with going back to the old days and selling a good player to a club and then buying two or three out of the money, every fan wants a billionaire and a quick fix but a lot of teams have been burnt chasing the dream. It's not just the first team Nigel has improved it's the scouting and youth set ups too. Its taking a long time but Rome wasn't built in a day I think next season we'll see a bigger leap in process though because we'll have access to sign better players, as other teams need to cut squads, and most of the donkey work is done and the deadwood is mostly out. We haven't always got the results but the people on here who think we don't play good football must be blind we just need a bit more of a cutting edge up front and a "Plan B" for example I'd like us to sign a CB and try and play 1- 5-3-2 away from home. COME ON NIGEL....

So your saying clough isn't an average champ manager?

I'm sure we could play the name game all day, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question, I thought we were talking about clough

I really don't know whether he is good, poor or average - and neither do you because there are too many variables involved. What we do know is that he inherited a huge number of problems on the playing side which he has now resolved with a minimum of upheaval and histrionics, operating under tight financial constraints. Find someone who had the same problems to sort out and succeeded to a greater extent than Clough. People used to make comparisons with Sean O'Driscoll, but it appears that he appears to have mislaid his magic wand for the moment.

Should we finish lower in the table next season than this, having already overcome the Jewell / Davies legacy, then in my book that could be considered to be failure (there will be caveats, of course - parachute payments and sugar daddies notwithstanding). I'd like to see the board relax the financial constraints to a certain extent next season and then, and only then, will I be prepared to nail my colours to the mast.  

He gets one every year,when he spends it sensibly and convinces that he won't blow it he may get

more.Can't see it happening.

He has to create his own budget through cost-cutting and judicious player sales

Ha Ha Love it.  

Ok I pay out on bottom six. You pay out on higher position tan this season. 10th to 18th and we call it quits.

Can I hold the money?

A couple of hundred in my account for a year might just pay for a bottle of Duvel from Tesco's

Archived