Is Nigel the one to take us forward..........

I don't need to do the research uncle, I take my opinions from watching the games over the past years, it may be different from yours but I'm not going to get on my high horse about it :-)

Clough is an average champ manager, who as yet has not proved anything to the contrary to prove otherwise.

You're the one who asked the question before though. Surely if you're going to pretend your opinion has any basis in reality you'd at least make sure the facts fit?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're the one who asked the question before though. Surely if you're going to pretend your opinion has any basis in reality you'd at least make sure the facts fit?

If you ask a question why do you need to know the answer???

But just for you, I believe that Barnsley are the only team in this league that have been in the league the same period as us and not finished higher, but I haven't got the tools to prove or check at present.

As opposed to the likes of Kenny Jackett, Sean O'Driscoll and Dean Saunders who, by your definition, must therefore be below-average championship managers.

Do us all a favour and chat to Mostyn then come up with an alternative. The three managers I've just named are his three personal favourites, all rated much higher than Clough. On the other hand if you want a bigger name I think that Colin might be available - or perhaps 'Arry or even the Tan Man or Curbishley. Bear in mind of course that they have to wheel and deal with the same budget Clough would be allocated, so perhaps the four alternatives I've named wouldn't be prepared to come to Derby.

So your saying clough isn't an average champ manager?

I'm sure we could play the name game all day, but I don't see what that has to do with the original question, I thought we were talking about clough

As opposed to the likes of Kenny Jackett, Sean O'Driscoll and Dean Saunders who, by your definition, must therefore be below-average championship managers.

Do us all a favour and chat to Mostyn then come up with an alternative. The three managers I've just named are his three personal favourites, all rated much higher than Clough. On the other hand if you want a bigger name I think that Colin might be available - or perhaps 'Arry or even the Tan Man or Curbishley. Bear in mind of course that they have to wheel and deal with the same budget Clough would be allocated, so perhaps the four alternatives I've named wouldn't be prepared to come to Derby.  

Board out then?

If you ask a question why do you need to know the answer???

But just for you, I believe that Barnsley are the only team in this league that have been in the league the same period as us and not finished higher, but I haven't got the tools to prove or check at present.

You have the internet, you have all the tools you need.

I also posted a list of others teams who have failed to make the top 10 for years at a time, not an exhaustive list mind you, but enough to show that your point here is wrong. Maybe you ignored though.

I also posted a list of others teams who have failed to make the top 10 for years at a time, not an exhaustive list mind you, but enough to show that your point here is wrong. Maybe you ignored though.

I didn't understand your post, palace for example have just finished in top 6?

I didn't understand your post, palace for example have just finished in top 6?

Palace: 2008-12

This means that from 2008-12, Palace failed to make the top 10. That is, in 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 and 11-12, Crystal Palace failed to make the top 10.

TobyWanKenobi

He has undoubtedly taken us forward in his time here, although slowly. I can understand the impatience of the few, but I can live with the slowness.

I think we need to aim for top 6 next season and of course finishing any higher than 10th would be progress. Lower would be failure.

Yes, I think we will achieve that good progress next season.

Palace: 2008-12

This means that from 2008-12, Palace failed to make the top 10. That is, in 08-09, 09-10, 10-11 and 11-12, Crystal Palace failed to make the top 10.

Which is 4 seasons, on the fifth they made the play offs.

On our 5th we are top 10. There were plenty of other examples there as well, I particularly like Coventry.

But we were talking about moving forward from 10th, Cardiff is also in your list but finished 7th yet you omitt this year.

But we were talking about moving forward from 10th, Cardiff is also in your list but finished 7th yet you omitt this year.

No, I made it quite clear that I was referring to top ten in my post. If you have issue with what I was talking about you're perfectly welcome to gather your own data.

What? Cardiff City:

2003-04: 13th

2004-05: 16th

2005-06: 11th

2006-07: 13th

2007-08: 12th

Therefore, from 2003-08 Cardiff failed to make the top 10.

Then maybe read my post again, I said by the law of averages we should finish higher than 10th next season, based upon the number of clubs that haven't done this.

2003 is was a different league by the way, pendatic I know, but following suit ;-)

Then maybe read my post again, I said by the law of averages we should finish higher than 10th next season, based upon the number of clubs that haven't done this.

2003 is was a different league by the way, pendatic I know, but following suit ;-)

I know what you said, I was just pointing out that plenty of clubs get to this point, and go beyond it. Coventry for example had their last promotion in the 60s and have been on slow decline ever since. In fact, at 8 top ten finishes since 66-67, I'm sure they're having a great time. That's what... nearly half a century?

The fact that a very quick search yielded a decent list (including a couple who have spent a long time outside the top 10 for longer than us) is interesting in and of itself.

Also, the "law of averages" is a fallacy in truth. By chance alone we're no more likely to finish in the top 9 (which I get is what you're getting at, but to be honest I just can't be bothered as it's an extremely arbitrary point to pick, so I'm picking my own as 10th) next season than last.

Still does strange things though, 1) why did Coutts start on the left today? 2) why did it take him 80 minutes to change it

I think his tactical flaws will always cost us 5-10 points a season...

Coutts started on the right. Bryson played on the left. We switched to 451 around 65 minutes. Your lack of football intelligence is costing you £3-400 a season for your ticket.

I know what you said, I was just pointing out that plenty of clubs get to this point, and go beyond it. Coventry for example had their last promotion in the 60s and have been on slow decline ever since. In fact, at 8 top ten finishes since 66-67, I'm sure they're having a great time. That's what... nearly half a century?

The fact that a very quick search yielded a decent list (including a couple who have spent a long time outside the top 10 for longer than us) is interesting in and of itself.

Also, the "law of averages" is a fallacy in truth. By chance alone we're no more likely to finish in the top 9 (which I get is what you're getting at, but to be honest I just can't be bothered as it's an extremely arbitrary point to pick, so I'm picking my own as 10th) next season than last.

Coventry spent most of them years in top league and also won the fa cup during that time, bit difficult to get promotion would u not say?

Anyway I'm off to get a few vodkas down me as the sun is shining :-)

Coventry spent most of them years in top league and also won the fa cup during that time, bit difficult to get promotion would u not say?

Anyway I'm off to get a few vodkas down me as the sun is shining :-)

Probably. Mentioning the promotion really wasn't needed I guess.

Archived