Is Nigel the one to take us forward..........

Why are you so sure Needles?

I could re-hash all the old arguments about finances and so on, but basically I believe in him.

Absolute antithesis of Billy Davies. Billy will build a team, workmanlike, organised and pragmatic - that will get you so far, and sooner or later you'll run out of steam. Nigel is building a club; from the youngest kids up, he's got an inclusive approach, a philosophy of football, a bigger idea.

You can see the squad improving, slowly but surely, you can see the performances improving year on year. The performance level is more reliable now and of a higher standard. Get 4 or 5 of the names mentioned and I believe we'll tip over from playing well most games to winning most games.

I said weeks ago, I'm having £50 on automatic, and if I'm wrong you can laugh at me and I'll have a laugh too! Maybe I'm just a blind faither, but to me something is building here.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still does strange things though, 1) why did Coutts start on the left today? 2) why did it take him 80 minutes to change it and 3) what's the point in bringing Martin in? Today again will show you it's a waste of money.

I think his tactical flaws will always cost us 5-10 points a season...

I honestly think that people on a messageboard who actually believe that they can criticise a second-level manager over 'tactical flaws' play too much Football Manager. If you seriously think that you have a better handle on tactics and how the club should prepare its squad, send them out and get them to play than the manager who works with them every day, then go and see a shrink because you are SERIOUSLY delusional.

Yes, Nigel is the man to take Derby County forward. I could say "end of" but I hate buzzwords, and of course it isn't the last word.

Old fogeys like me might keep harking back to his exceptional and unique father but the one man who does not trade on this is Nigel himself.

Nigel has a footballing brain and to lead us to a tenth place finish is remarkable given the constraints under which he has to manage the club.

His work with the academy is impressive and his ability to encourage younger players will ensure a steady and continued development of the club.

That's my end of season performance appraisal!

Eddie - isn't that the same point as when you criticised Sam Rush for the changes in the ticket pricing for next season? Yor criticising a professional with 30 years experience in business. Difference is, I don't think you're seriously flawed, I think you were right to do so.

Eddie - isn't that the same point as when you criticised Sam Rush for the changes in the ticket pricing for next season? Yor criticising a professional with 30 years experience in business. Difference is, I don't think you're seriously flawed, I think you were right to do so.

You may have a point - but then again, I KNOW that I am seriously delusional.

No

Next season we'll finish in the bottom 6

Not sure how that works. After all, you said that QPR were far better than any side in the Championship this season, but 'Arry reckons that they are more likely to 'do a Wolves' than to bounce back - even stating that they would struggle against the likes of Derby, Forest and the Dirties.

So who knows more about football - 'Arry or you?

Actually on second thoughts, that's a stupid question. We all know it's you. Sorry, my bad.

Surely even by the law of averages, after 5 attempts he will be able to get us at least close to the play offs, has any other manager or team spent that long in this league without finishing higher than 10th in recent times?

Maybe in his 10th year we might even be talking promotion instead of the "play offs" being a success :-)

Surely even by the law of averages, after 5 attempts he will be able to get us at least close to the play offs, has any other manager or team spent that long in this league without finishing higher than 10th in recent times?

Maybe in his 10th year we might even be talking promotion instead of the "play offs" being a success :-)

Taking one fact in isolation is not worthy of serious analysis

I'm sure there has been several teams in this league that have gone 5 years without finishing higher than 10th,but

not with the same manager.In fact has there been many managers that have lasted 5 years or more?Luckily for

us we have a manager for life,now,so no worries.

In terms of teams:

Cardiff: 2003-08

Watford: 2001-05, 2008-12

Crystal Palace: 2008-12

Leicester: 2004-08*

Derby: 2008-12

Burnley: 2002-08

Ipswich: 2009-

Sheffield Wednesday: 2007-11†

Barnsley: 2006-

* Was ended by relegation

† Includes relegation and sub top 10 season in lower division

To answer the question of whether or not teams have spent this kind of time without finishing in the top ten recently, well, there's a bunch that can be easier found from a look at only this seasons table and a quick check of their recent performances, and it includes a couple of ongoing runs, a few worse (including Cardiff we have gone up as Champions) and Burnley (who went up in 2009 after 6 years of sub top 10 finishes). Of course, I couldn't mention:

Coventry: 2001-05, 2006-†

Not to mention that they have only had one top ten finish at any level since 89-90 season, and that was 8th in 05-06. Their last promotion was in 66-67 for those interested.

As for managers, you really feel that Nigel has done poorly compared to others, go and do the legwork yourself. Simply floating the question isn't answering it. If even a cursory glance at teams overall performances can yield the above though, it's pretty damn clear there isn't much substance to your claim.

In terms of teams:

Cardiff: 2003-08

Watford: 2001-05, 2008-12

Crystal Palace: 2008-12

Leicester: 2004-08*

Derby: 2008-12

Burnley: 2002-08

Ipswich: 2009-

Sheffield Wednesday: 2007-11†

Barnsley: 2006-

* Was ended by relegation

† Includes relegation and sub top 10 season in lower division

To answer the question of whether or not teams have spent this kind of time without finishing in the top ten recently, well, there's a bunch that can be easier found from a look at only this seasons table and a quick check of their recent performances, and it includes a couple of ongoing runs, a few worse (including Cardiff we have gone up as Champions) and Burnley (who went up in 2009 after 6 years of sub top 10 finishes). Of course, I couldn't mention:

Coventry: 2001-05, 2006-†

Not to mention that they have only had one top ten finish at any level since 89-90 season, and that was 8th in 05-06. Their last promotion was in 66-67 for those interested.

As for managers, you really feel that Nigel has done poorly compared to others, go and do the legwork yourself. Simply floating the question isn't answering it. If even a cursory glance at teams overall performances can yield the above though, it's pretty damn clear there isn't much substance to your claim.

I don't need to do the research uncle, I take my opinions from watching the games over the past years, it may be different from yours but I'm not going to get on my high horse about it :-)

Clough is an average champ manager, who as yet has not proved anything to the contrary to prove otherwise.

I don't need to do the research uncle, I take my opinions from watching the games over the past years, it may be different from yours but I'm not going to get on my high horse about it :-)

Clough is an average champ manager, who as yet has not proved anything to the contrary to prove otherwise.

As opposed to the likes of Kenny Jackett, Sean O'Driscoll and Dean Saunders who, by your definition, must therefore be below-average championship managers.

Do us all a favour and chat to Mostyn then come up with an alternative. The three managers I've just named are his three personal favourites, all rated much higher than Clough. On the other hand if you want a bigger name I think that Colin might be available - or perhaps 'Arry or even the Tan Man or Curbishley. Bear in mind of course that they have to wheel and deal with the same budget Clough would be allocated, so perhaps the four alternatives I've named wouldn't be prepared to come to Derby.  

Archived