now here's a manager doing well....

Mostyn6

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my opinion both Clough & Powell along with a few other managers have done decent jobs on the resources afforded them....Do I think Powell would do a better job than Nigel?? Don't know the answer to that one...

Do I think Clough is perfect? far from it, his tactics & lack of game altering substitutions often frustrate me..I do believe though that Nigel deserves another crack at things next season & that there would be few managers which I would swap him for at present....

Am I happy with our continued mid-table finishes...no not at all, in fact its p****s me off, but I believe the board have far more to answer for than Nigel, for the lack off any play off pushes in recent seasons..

If investment isn't a problem,why did you spend so much time on a recent phone in asking for it? (in fact I think you called for decent investment).You've recently said that the players weren't the problem and that it was all the manager's fault-if the players are ok,then why call for investment?

From what I've heard from today,it's poor defending and finishing that's let us down yet again.

Not me.

I was on the phone in and I asked "when are the board going to go for it? as it always seems like we're waiting for something before we make a proper effort at promotion"

Pearson is in his first season, bad example. Clough has had four years to build his own team.

Has he?

From what I have seen he had to be spend the first 2 or 3 years doing a bit of a balancing act of bringing in young/cheap players while the contracts of players from previous regimes were paid up or run down.

I would think this is the first season where the squad had been made up purely of his own signings or youngsters brought through the ranks during his tenure.

In my opinion both Clough & Powell along with a few other managers have done decent jobs on the resources afforded them....Do I think Powell would do a better job than Nigel?? Don't know the answer to that one...

Do I think Clough is perfect? far from it, his tactics & lack of game altering substitutions often frustrate me..I do believe though that Nigel deserves another crack at things next season & that there would be few managers which I would swap him for at present....

Am I happy with our continued mid-table finishes...no not at all, in fact its p****s me off.

This.

Has he?

From what I have seen he had to be spend the first 2 or 3 years doing a bit of a balancing act of bringing in young/cheap players while the contracts of players from previous regimes were paid up or run down.

I would think this is the first season where the squad had been made up purely of his own signings or youngsters brought through the ranks during his tenure.

Whichever way you dress it up, he had four years! Phil Brown had 8 months. John Gregory had about a year. Both of those had to work in worse situations that Nigel Clough and ANY/EVERY manager who takes over at a club has to generally do some amount of balancing and trading of players.

Four years. 

Not me.

I was on the phone in and I asked "when are the board going to go for it? as it always seems like we're waiting for something before we make a proper effort at promotion"

....and the rest of it? If you didn't call for decent investment,I'll eat my hat.What did you mean by "when are the board going to go for it?" if you weren't calling for investment (and I know you did).Why weren't you calling for a change of manager? 

Whichever way you dress it up, he had four years! Phil Brown had 8 months. John Gregory had about a year. Both of those had to work in worse situations that Nigel Clough and ANY/EVERY manager who takes over at a club has to generally do some amount of balancing and trading of players.

Four years. 

And the 2 managers you named did what exactly?

Maybe the board has looked at such examples as Phil Brown and saw what he did at Hull given a bit of time.

Do you think Chris Powell has had to do the same amount of balancing/trading as Clough or was he allowed to build his team straight away?

All I know is that it feels like the same thing season after season under Clough and it is driving me to lose all interest in the club. There is literally nothing to get excited about, nothing to look forward to at all and no sign of anything changing. Clough and the board are draining the life out of Derby County. How any Rams fan sees it differently is beyond me.

Going back to the OP, surely you can't compare the two as they've had completely different jobs? Nigel didn't take over the job in League 1 therefore has not had the opportunity of an "achievement" of getting promoted to the Championship.

Both are solid, mid table Championship sides. Charlton stabilising in this league isn't as much of an achievement as perhaps you're making out. I think in some ways its harder for a manager of a side relegated from the PL, with all the turmoil and depression that goes with it, than it is for a team coming up with momentum from L1, especially if, as is the case with Charlton, they're not exactly a small club which shouldn't be here.

No denying Chris has done a good job, but until he pushed CA on and gets them up or into the play offs (at the end of the season) then I can't see how you can say he's done better than Nigel.

....and the rest of it? If you didn't call for decent investment,I'll eat my hat.What did you mean by "when are the board going to go for it?" if you weren't calling for investment (and I know you did).Why weren't you calling for a change of manager? 

I'm sure there's a podcast if you want to find it. There was also a thread here on the night. 

There are two separate issues for me, one is the manager NOT doing the best with what he's had (in MY opinion), and the other is the board misleading the fans year upon year (again, in MY opinion). During my phone in, I don't recall my exact words, but I suggested that the fans need to know what the board want. What the targets actually are and what they are actually going to do to achieve it. I think I said something like "you need to realise you wont just fluke promotion", and "fans now don't trust the owners" (after years of false promises). I'm not stupid enough to refuse investment in the first team, and yes we could do with some money investing properly, BUT that doesn't mean I'd trust Clough with magic beans and we'd do any better with him.

I made a promise that I wouldn't moan about Clough on that night.

And the 2 managers you named did what exactly?

Maybe the board has looked at such examples as Phil Brown and saw what he did at Hull given a bit of time.

Do you think Chris Powell has had to do the same amount of balancing/trading as Clough or was he allowed to build his team straight away?

Got us hovering in the bottom half (as Clough has) on less resources, before the fans turned and they were sacked. 

I would suggest Powell has had the same level of freedom/restriction as Clough.

Am I happy with our continued mid-table finishes...no not at all, in fact its p****s me off, but I believe the board have far more to answer for than Nigel, for the lack off any play off pushes in recent seasons..

I don't think anyone is happy with mid table finishes. Part of the frustration on here is the fact everyone wants better for the club and deep down most people want clough to take us there. Whether that will happen I don't know but time is running out. I think most people agree next season is the crunch for clough and if we don't improve then I think he has had a fair crack of the whip.. By improvement I mean playoffs or better.

Is this suggesting we should go for Chris Powell?

I disagree.

Charlton aren't especially good. They don't play with any better style than us. They have been below us most the season.

For me it's just a 'nah'

He's doing alright. Not giving me an erection though at the thought of him at Derby.

You want a man with a connection. Clough. You want another? Eranio. Good contacts and will probably install a passing game.

Got us hovering in the bottom half (as Clough has) on less resources, before the fans turned and they were sacked. 

I would suggest Powell has had the same level of freedom/restriction as Clough.

Oce again, its just as easy to say that we have been hovering in the top half this season, another substanceless statment to try and promote your agenda!

Powell signed 19 new players in his first transfer window...

Right,I'm off to try and find this magic podcast,though I've not had much luck with this kind of thing in the past.

As I suspected-no longer available on iplayer.

All I know is that it feels like the same thing season after season under Clough and it is driving me to lose all interest in the club. There is literally nothing to get excited about, nothing to look forward to at all and no sign of anything changing. Clough and the board are draining the life out of Derby County. How any Rams fan sees it differently is beyond me.

Look at clubs like Burnley, Birmingham, am sure their fans are saying the same thing, what makes us any different to them? 

So when we beat Middlesbrough in January and looked like we could be taking steps forward you wasn't excited?

Not a dig but the failure of the fans to get excited and behind the team contributes to the problem in my opinion.

I know its a cliche but DCFC never seem to have the 12th man that can sometimes make a difference anymore.

Right,I'm off to try and find this magic podcast,though I've not had much luck with this kind of thing in the past.

As I suspected-no longer available on iplayer.

shame you spend so long just trying to prove me wrong.

Archived