now here's a manager doing well....

Mostyn6

Ex-Derby County left-back and genuine all-round top man Chris Powell inherited an under-achieving Charton Athletic side, and had to restructure his squad with minimal investment and using freebies and loans. Manages to get promoted and currently, in his first season in the Championship finds his team sitting 9th in the table and on the back of an amazing 6 goal away win at Barnsley.

I've been critical of Nigel Clough for a couple of seasons, and have been patiently waiting to be proven wrong, and my fork has hovered over the humble pie maybe once or twice, but overall my opinions seem about right.

Many other fans, perhaps blinded by romance of the Clough name, perhaps suckered into the theory that lack of transfer budget somehow stops managers from managing the eleven players on the pitch properly will defend Clough's performance, preferring to blame the board, the fans, the weather, the referee, the grass on the pitch and anything else.

So, I'd like to compare the two managers, Chris Powell Vs Nigel Clough.

I don't believe Charlton have spent more on players, wages, transfers etc, 

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My fork has dangled over my own home baked humble pie for four years (it's cold now). It seems a long time since the performance against Boro at PP. I left the stadium that day with hope and pride in my heart that we'd well and truly ripped apart what was supposed to be a top favourite to go up, and there was great hope. My mate is a season ticket holder at the Valley and he's mentioned on more than one occasion that he doesn't see CP being in the hot seat for too long there. He claims that he's one of the most liked pro's and gaffers in the country, and who he doesn't know in the game, just isn't worth knowing. I as everyone else doesn't really know what's behing the scenes here, but as a fan who's parted with thousands to the club over 25 years, Charlton can look forward to a good push next season, and what is the carrot being dangled here? Alex Baptiste?

I rest the case 

Curious to know for how long the yanks would continue to lose 7-8 million a year, before wanting something to change?

Views?

Who knows the answer to that one? Can't believe that they would as they seem like businessman not egotists like some of the foreign owners in football at the moment!

Pedantically there are also another 12 teams with manager's doing "well" as they are are overseeing teams all above Derby in the league

True Notts_ram, but if you look where they came from and their budgets, (as many do when defending Clough), then Powell seems to have achieved more, and Dougie Freedman ....

Mostyn you were nowhere during our recent good patch. You came back after our first bad result. Troy has reappeared. I must admit things have been dull without you but Chris Powell isn't the answer.

Why isn't Powell the answer? Please explain what the question is if Powell isn't the answer?

True Notts_ram, but if you look where they came from and their budgets, (as many do when defending Clough), then Powell seems to have achieved more, and Dougie Freedman ....

In terms of "achievements" there will be the thickness of a razor blade between where Charlton and Derby finish in the league this season - I put achievements in inverted comments as neither manager really will have achieved anything concrete apart from keeping their respective teams in the division.

Please please please!

They are above us for the first time this season and all of a sudden their manager is better than Clough!

This time next week it will probably be Lee Clark and Dave Jones.

I assume you would expect the trio of relegated clubs fans to all be sitting there saying that Nigel Clough should be their manager?

In terms of "achievements" there will be the thickness of a razor blade between where Charlton and Derby finish in the league this season - I put achievements in inverted comments as neither manager really will have achieved anything concrete apart from keeping their respective teams in the division.

I think you'll find Powell will have achieved TWO things, Promotion and consolidation in the new league.

Please please please!

They are above us for the first time this season and all of a sudden their manager is better than Clough!

This time next week it will probably be Lee Clark and Dave Jones.

I assume you would expect the trio of relegated clubs fans to all be sitting there saying that Nigel Clough should be their manager?

GStar, this isn't solely about league positions, this is about the comparison between the two. When I say 'Clough out', fans always throw back the "who could do a better job, with the resources blah blah...", well here is an answer!

Archived