now here's a manager doing well....

Mostyn6

Ian Dowie lol wtf?

He's worse than Clough, hence him appearing on soccer Saturday for the past three years

He's an example of a manager in the championship who has achieved better than Clough, that was the question...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand? You wont allow critics to take a fixture in isolation, yet you pick one game. SO what if Charlton struggled here? They're newly promoted team, they SHOULD struggle in the league. But no, they aren't.

It's fans like you who won't allow Clough to be criticised and hide behind excuses, I've offered Powell and Charlton as another example of why I don't buy some fans' nonsensical excuses.

You've offered no argument as to why Powell would be a good replacement for Clough.

I don't allow Clough to be criticised? You don't ready my posts if you think that.

All I am saying is that you have no evidence to say Powell is operating on significantly lower resources than Clough yet now they have been above us for one game this season all of a sudden means he would be a good replacement.

If they lose the rest of their games and finish down near the bottom will you still be saying the same thing? If so, try and give some justification why.

He would walk into any League one side and anyone who believes he is no better than a league two manager is clearly being daft.

He just lacks a side who can put a consistent run of form together, unfortunately same can be said for over a dozen other sides in this league.

If he went, then the likes of Wassall would be gone and that alone would be a disaster for the academy and younger players.

Last chance saloon next season for me, no excuses.

This.

You've offered no argument as to why Powell would be a good replacement for Clough.

I don't allow Clough to be criticised? You don't ready my posts if you think that.

All I am saying is that you have no evidence to say Powell is operating on significantly lower resources than Clough yet now they have been above us for one game this season all of a sudden means he would be a good replacement.

If they lose the rest of their games and finish down near the bottom will you still be saying the same thing? If so, try and give some justification why.

For starters, I never mentioned replacement.

Secondly, when comparing the two jobs they've done, and maybe Clough has had a year longer, it'd be fair to say Powell has done the better job. He's done the job equivalent of if Clough had us sitting where Southampton are now, in the Premier League.

He got Palace relegated to the Championship, Jewell managed that with us, some acheivement

Nothing like re-writing history, and ignoring the question I was asked.

WHAT did Dowie do in the season before? You know, the one in the championship, that we are comparing.....

You really think we could have stayed up? That's a cheap point, we were a sinking ship whoever came in charge after billy, and had to deal with his awful signings and make do with utter rubbish.

Not a cheap point, is a concrete fact. Similarities don't end there either, both teams went up via the play offs and both came down the next season. 

Nothing like re-writing history, and ignoring the question I was asked.

WHAT did Dowie do in the season before? You know, the one in the championship, that we are comparing.....

He got Palace promoted then got therm relegated the following season. So over 2 years the net effect was that Palace stayed in the Championship. 

Not a cheap point, is a concrete fact. Similarities don't end there either, both teams went up via the play offs and both came down the next season. 

It is, as it's irrelevent to the conversation, which was about managers who have done better "IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP". There's not a manager could've kept Derby up that season, nor Palace either.

For starters, I never mentioned replacement.

Secondly, when comparing the two jobs they've done, and maybe Clough has had a year longer, it'd be fair to say Powell has done the better job. He's done the job equivalent of if Clough had us sitting where Southampton are now, in the Premier League.

And for every Chris Powell I'm sure we could name a manager who has done worse in the 4 years that Clough has been in charge.

Now back to the original point that our resources are comparable, do you know this or are you guessing?

Sure you are aware that Southampton had significantly more resources that Clough has had so do you think that is a fair comparison? Why not compare him to Nigel Pearson?

He got Palace promoted then got therm relegated the following season. So over 2 years the net effect was that Palace stayed in the Championship. 

You are clearly incapable of understanding this debate. Most teams that go up will come down. That doesn't make going up NOT an achievement. If Nigel got us promoted, It would be an achievement regardless of whether he got us relegated the next season!

And for every Chris Powell I'm sure we could name a manager who has done worse in the 4 years that Clough has been in charge.

Now back to the original point that our resources are comparable, do you know this or are you guessing?

Sure you are aware that Southampton had significantly more resources that Clough has had so do you think that is a fair comparison? Why not compare him to Nigel Pearson?

So Powell is better then? Thanks.

You are clearly incapable of understanding this debate. Most teams that go up will come down. That doesn't make going up NOT an achievement. If Nigel got us promoted, It would be an achievement regardless of whether he got us relegated the next season!

Just made me burst out laughing, they really don't get what e argument is haha.

Davies failed because he signed Claude Davies, ad the board didn't invest properly, and what money we did have was spent so stupidly it was like we were asking to go down. We were a sinking ship, and Jewell couldn't have done anything with the players he signed in January, and he's proven with Derby and Ipswich in the championship he's a terrible manager regardless of what he did with Wigan.

So Powell is better then? Thanks.

Better what? If we go above them next week will Clough be better then?

If you want to slag Clough I have no problem with it if I think the points you make are valid.

Would you like to debate and back your point up or do you just want to leave it that you are right?

2 things, firstly I understand the point in question, and secondly this isn't a debate I would call it a loose collection of random postings. If you want to know what a true debate is go and join the Oxford Debating Society and be enlightened.

Yu don't understand the topic because you're talking about something that's irrelevant haha.

Archived