now here's a manager doing well....

Mostyn6

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was never a exponent of the theorem that because a club has a large fan base they have the divine right to be playing at a higher level, challenging for honours etc. The same goes for the historic stuff that if a club won a cup circa 1949 then they should be winning trophies week in week out. 

I agree _Ram but I do believe in footballing roots. I know it's old fashioned and how does a club get history without making it?

But my case is we have the history and the fan base we ought to use it as an advantage.

I said in another thread, we've never lost games simply cos the other team is better than us. We've proven capable of being able to beat anyone in this league, and we have many players that wouldn't look out of place in ANY team in this league and others could 'do a job'.

I can point to many games where we've thrown away points. 

I do believe also, which contradicts my whole opinion, that I've seen signs under Clough that have been really promising. I remember during the first half and hour of the first game of the season, I was compiling a recipe for the sweetest of humble pies, and yes, I'd LOVE to eat humble pie, but there are two things holding us back under Clough.

1, He's never addressed or changed his coaching staff. Where there are areas we've struggled four years ago, we still are now. I know that Clough's methods are quite old school and he put a lot of trust in the players knowing what they need to do, whereas more scientific managers would be more controlling and educational. and 

2. This negative attitude towards games, the number of times where we've been dominant and in total control and then he's made a decision to change things. Then the opposition have grown in to the game and stole points. That to me is bad.

Don't know any miracle workers currently managing a football team lol

Shame we don't have the parallel universe you talked of in another thread.

Sorry to lump the pair of you together, but I was just wondering if you are two of the posters that thinks NEXT season is the one we'll hit the play-offs?

2. This negative attitude towards games, the number of times where we've been dominant and in total control and then he's made a decision to change things. Then the opposition have grown in to the game and stole points. That to me is bad.

I remember Arsenal being dominant and in total control against Spurs not too many moons ago,and not changing things.I also remember the outcome.

Sorry to lump the pair of you together, but I was just wondering if you are two of the posters that thinks NEXT season is the one we'll hit the play-offs?

With the current squad,no (but improvement).With quality additions,yes.

I said in another thread, we've never lost games simply cos the other team is better than us. 

I saw the footage tonight from the Blackburn game, the penalty we conceded and the 2nd goal we gave away were no different to goals shipped by any other Championship team this season - that's the problem. There is nothing to differentiate us from the other sides good and bad hence why we are firmly planted in mid table. 

I remember Arsenal being dominant and in total control against Spurs not too many moons ago,and not changing things.I also remember the outcome.

I'm not sure of the relevance..

I will say, we are not good enough to sit back and defend, and although its a cliche, I think it applies for us, and any team in this division, "attack is the best form of defence". 

I would depress myself even more if I went back through the results to count up how many times we've had the lead, or been looking good, only for Clough to pull our frontline back 10 yards and we end up backs to the wall, 11 men behind the ball, panicky defending and ultimately conceding and losing points.

With the current squad,no (but improvement).With quality additions,yes.

fair enough, but do you think your opinion of a quality addition matches that of the manager?

Would you call Sammon a quality addition? Given his record prior to arriving here?

No need to apologise, no I don't think we will make the playoff's next season. There has been nothing I have seen this season that offers me encouragement for making the Top 6 next season, unless we sign a series of proven Championship players this summer which I can't see happening, though would love to be proved wrong

I'm not sure of the relevance..

I will say, we are not good enough to sit back and defend, and although its a cliche, I think it applies for us, and any team in this division, "attack is the best form of defence". 

I would depress myself even more if I went back through the results to count up how many times we've had the lead, or been looking good, only for Clough to pull our frontline back 10 yards and we end up backs to the wall, 11 men behind the ball, panicky defending and ultimately conceding and losing points.

We didn't seem to be good enough to hit the back of the net today.

No need to apologise, no I don't think we will make the playoff's next season. There has been nothing I have seen this season that offers me encouragement for making the Top 6 next season, unless we sign a series of proven Championship players this summer which I can't see happening, though would love to be proved wrong

Well, the thing I note is that Clough has repeatedly said we have been unlucky in many games, and we've made errors (due to being young) that the players will learn from, and things haven't gone our way. So by his collective assessment, we will surely make an improvement taking us close without ANY need to invest.

We have a couple of young players on the bench biting to get a chance in Jacobs and Bennett, Sometimes the cockiness of youth can surprise you. I have to ask what it takes for the manager to realise that he cannot keep on with the persistent selection of an injured Ward and a confidence-shot-to-pieces Sammon. I admire that Clough has given Sammon the chance(s) to play his way out of his confidence slump, but we just don't create enough chances for someone so technically inept to fire his way back into bursting with confidence. Sammon cannot ask for better chances than his last four, 2 open goals and 2 pens.

My fear/belief and to my dismay is that Clough appears to have NEVER learnt a single lesson in his whole time here.

Well, the thing I note is that Clough has repeatedly said we have been unlucky in many games, and we've made errors (due to being young) that the players will learn from, and things haven't gone our way. So by his collective assessment, we will surely make an improvement taking us close without ANY need to invest.

All manager's say they have been unlucky, should have been given a penalty etc. Clough even said it himself when he said the referee should have already blown up for half time when Blackburn scored their second. A very few manager's acknowledge when they have had a fortunate break, bounce of the ball, critical refereeing decision. 

We've made errors all season, so have all of the other clubs in the Championship, we haven't made as many errors as someone like Bristol City hence why we're not in the bottom 3, it's all relative. The Championship is one of the least skillful leagues in Europe, no grace, no finesse, usually well organised and well drilled teams succeed that play to a system or pattern. We play to a pattern and still get beat away from home, someone needs to have a word in Clough's shell like. 

fair enough, but do you think your opinion of a quality addition matches that of the manager?

Would you call Sammon a quality addition? Given his record prior to arriving here?

Probably does,but my funding expectations probably match his as well.I would have considered Sammon useful rather than quality,but will reserve judgement until (or if) he gets a proven goalscorer alongside him.When I watched him playing for Wigan I could see how he might not make the grade at Prem level,but I also thought he might be useful at NPC level.

We have a couple of young players on the bench biting to get a chance in Jacobs and Bennett, Sometimes the cockiness of youth can surprise you. I have to ask what it takes for the manager to realise that he cannot keep on with the persistent selection of an injured Ward and a confidence-shot-to-pieces Sammon. I admire that Clough has given Sammon the chance(s) to play his way out of his confidence slump, but we just don't create enough chances for someone so technically inept to fire his way back into bursting with confidence. Sammon cannot ask for better chances than his last four, 2 open goals and 2 pens.

My fear/belief and to my dismay is that Clough appears to have NEVER learnt a single lesson in his whole time here.

When David Nish continually made schoolboy errors over a long period of time,did Brian NEVER learn a single lesson?

When David Nish continually made schoolboy errors over a long period of time,did Brian NEVER learn a single lesson?

I only know David Nish from watching legends XI games at the Ramarena and Stockbrook Park as a kid in the 80s. Sorry, I don't know what you mean as I wasn't around.

We didn't Ramblur. That is what frustrates me so much about us at the moment and what we should be aiming for next season. We need a win at home against Bolton, the win away against Wednesday and at home. Trashing Forest home and away Blackburn win home and away. OHHH I'm getting carried away now. My point is there are games where we have lost points where next year we need to get them.

Archived