The great liar Taribo West?

cannable

Former Derby County, Plymouth and Inter Milan defender Taribo West has been accused of lying about his age.

The former Nigeria centre half, now retired, joined Serbian team Partizan Belgrade in 2002 after leaving Derby County and told club bosses he was 28. But now the ex-president of Partizan, Zarko Zecevic, has accused him of lying, saying the defender was actually 40.

'He joined us saying he was 28. We only later found out he was 40, but he was still playing well so I don’t regret having him on the team,' Zecevic said. But according to the Croatian media, the former defender known for his colourful hairstyles also lied when trying to join Croatia’s Rijeka club.

At the age of 44, they said West told club doctors he was only 32. It was only after an examination that the doctors raised suspicions with the club because West’s knees suggested he was older. He wasn’t signed to the team but later joined Plymouth and then Iranian side Paykan FC, where he ended his career at the age of 46 in 2008.

Today his Wikipedia entry says he is 39.

That cant be true surely? The man's a machine if so! 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former Derby County, Plymouth and Inter Milan defender Taribo West has been accused of lying about his age.

The former Nigeria centre half, now retired, joined Serbian team Partizan Belgrade in 2002 after leaving Derby County and told club bosses he was 28. But now the ex-president of Partizan, Zarko Zecevic, has accused him of lying, saying the defender was actually 40.

'He joined us saying he was 28. We only later found out he was 40, but he was still playing well so I don’t regret having him on the team,' Zecevic said. But according to the Croatian media, the former defender known for his colourful hairstyles also lied when trying to join Croatia’s Rijeka club.

At the age of 44, they said West told club doctors he was only 32. It was only after an examination that the doctors raised suspicions with the club because West’s knees suggested he was older. He wasn’t signed to the team but later joined Plymouth and then Iranian side Paykan FC, where he ended his career at the age of 46 in 2008.

Today his Wikipedia entry says he is 39.

That cant be true surely? The man's a machine if so! 

Haha, christ - didn't Obefemi Martins do something similar? how do they get away with it, don't they look at passports  :lol:

Sorry, I don't buy it.

That would have made him nearly 34 when he played for us - and 25 before he played for anyone.

I reckon the whole thing's a late April Fool.

Edit:

I've seen 3 dates attributed to Taribo West's date of birth. The one I used as a basis for calculation isn't the one referred to in this thread - that's even more ridiculous. The one referred to here would have meant that he never even turned pro until he was about 33. 

As you say, a machine.

Out of interest how good was he when he played for us? I can only remember him in one game, and he was pretty poor - but he has a good reputation with a lot of Derby fans, doesn't he?

He looked cool.

Haha, christ - didn't Obefemi Martins do something similar? how do they get away with it, don't they look at passports  :lol:

I dont think Nigeria do passports do they? Martins, Kanu and now West, wasnt there a rumour regarding Babayara (spelling) as well???

Dodgy place that Nigeria!!!

Out of interest how good was he when he played for us? I can only remember him in one game, and he was pretty poor - but he has a good reputation with a lot of Derby fans, doesn't he?

He was awesome when he played for us, a complete freight train when he picked up the ball and charged forwards.

Lied about his age... brilliant, the whole Nigerian FA have lied about everyone's age for years, they have always had the most "mature" U-21 team ever!

Nigerians are good at lying, I tried to help one out who emailed me once asking to help look after his money as the government was going to take it from him. He seemed like a nice chap and promised me a cut so who was I to refuse?

He was awesome when he played for us, a complete freight train when he picked up the ball and charged forwards.

And now we know that he was in his mid-seventies at the time, that makes it even awesomererer

David Moyes after Yakubu's hattrick: "He's only 25, albeit a Nigerian 25, and so if that is his age he's still got a good few years ahead of him."

West definitely wouldn't be the first African player to do this. George Weah maybe the most profilic one?

Freddy Adu was accused too if my memory serves right?

Anybody remember Roger Milla playing for Cameroon at Italia 90? Rumours that he was 45 when he played on footballs biggest stage.

Archived