Interesting

WilkoRam

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The relegation talk was always silly.

Here is an updated probability density per position plot for us:

"BuEupE2" alt="BuEupE2">

Relegation is now rated at virtually impossible, or odds of around 43,757-6.

Edit: Updated for today's results

I feel bound to observe that this graph shows a lightly softer curve towards the bottom than the slightly more abrupt profile going forwards.

I'm not sure of the significance of this, but i can feel it getting my gander up.

I feel bound to observe that this graph shows a lightly softer curve towards the bottom than the slightly more abrupt profile going forwards.

I'm not sure of the significance of this, but i can feel it getting my gander up.

It's because few points separate the mid table, whilst there is a quite a jump from the midtable to the playoffs and playoff chasers.

In two posts therein lays bare the positive and negative juxtaposition.... I love this furum :lol:

just pointing it out. when i looked at the latest updated table I thought a win against Leeds and we're moving up. Wolves won today so look at there position and they are six points behind us.

The Independent noted we were only 8 points off the top 6, which I found interesting. We're not being counted out yet. Of course, a run to a decent finish (which is now 12th or above) would have to involve a dramatic and out-of-character turn for the better in away performances.

Bizarre league this season. A good run of a few games completely changes everything.

The Independent noted we were only 8 points off the top 6, which I found interesting. We're not being counted out yet. Of course, a run to a decent finish (which is now 12th or above) would have to involve a dramatic and out-of-character turn for the better in away performances.

Bizarre league this season. A good run of a few games completely changes everything.

We won't get near the playoffs unless something extraordinary happens. 51 points, 7 games to go, we'd probably need at least 19 points or the playoffs, so that's 6 wins and a draw in those 7... not likely...

We might beat last season's points total though, and if we lose less than 4 we'll have lost less this season.

I suppose that's why this thread is titled 'Interesting'.

The problem with the old 'only 6 points clear of relegation' bit is that every single one of those teams below us except two would have to register 7 points more than we got from our final 7 games to go above us and leave us in the bottom 3.

I'd go as far as to say that 2 more points, 3 at the most, would ensure our safety. So the usual win at Dirty Road on Monday should see us all but safe. 

As far as the other end is concerned, I would venture that if we won our next 6 games, then we might still be in with a mathematical chance of the playoffs on the final day, but it would still be more than likely to end in heartbreak.

The relegation talk was always silly.Here is an updated probability density per position plot for us:"BuEupE2" alt="BuEupE2">Relegation is now rated at virtually impossible, or odds of around 43,757-6.Edit: Updated for today's results

could you do my maths homework?

could you do my maths homework?

It does seem extraordinary that a team with 45 points from 39 games ; projected total 53 points and a team with 44 points from 38 games , projected total also 53 points should both be in the bottom 3 when I cant remember a team ever being relegated with more than Festers 52 points some years back.

50 points is usually more than enough.

We won't get near the playoffs unless something extraordinary happens. 51 points, 7 games to go, we'd probably need at least 19 points or the playoffs, so that's 6 wins and a draw in those 7... not likely...

We might beat last season's points total though, and if we lose less than 4 we'll have lost less this season.

We did that in the 1991/2 year I think going from mid-table to the play offs with 6 wins and a draws out of last 7.  Should have been 7 out of 7 we battered the opposition but they held out for a draw. In fact just missed out on automatic promo because wolves managed somehow to surrender a lead to lose against 10 man Boro.

Anyway back to the present no dont think its likely with our away record and 4 away games to come.

Archived