Are Derby County too British to win the league?

Oxram

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its not important whether players are foreign or not. John Harkes was foreign ffs.

Its the skilled, technically gifted players that make the difference. Robbie Van der Laan was a great player but he was a workhorse and a leader rather than a Messi.

Kris Commons would do for me right now.

Yeah it's about skill, that's why the graph is plotted against league position. Teams at the top more skilled etc

Its not 100% but the trend is clear enough that teams at the top get their players from abroad more than those at the bottom. (excluding relegated teams)

In effect its showing we are doing well at finding British talent compared to the other teams.

It would be interesting to see the relation in terms of "effective foreigners". That is, a comparison based on the number of foreigners as a proportion of the total number of appearances. Simply noting squad players isn't going to have a huge effect, a bit like with ages.

Also, that trend is very marginal, and the error in that slope would be enormous. It would likely predict us around 15th ± 20 places.

All the best teams are foreign..

The only side in the past 25 years that were any good (and British) were the Man Utd side that had Becks, Scholes, Giggs, Keane etc..

Even still they relied on the likes of Cantona, Schemiechel, Stam etc.. And they were only good for about 4 years.. Since then the foreign players have carried them..

As for Derby County.. Our best players were foreign.. The only decent British players were the likes of Chris Powell, Dean Strurridge and Lee Carsley.. We lack foreign players..

Foreign players adds excitement to the game.. I'd hate for us to do a Sunderland or Stoke and fill our team with British players should we make the PL.. They're both the most boring clubs I've had the displeasure of watching for many years

Judging 'foreign' players is far too of a wide spectrum to even contemplate. Do we judge Kazmierczack in the same way you would Bueno? Is Glen Loovens success at Cardiff to be judged aside Shefti Kuqi's at Ipswich?

You'd have to measure countries, positions, the type of player, the level at which the player arrived from, in what sort of team they played in etc. Far too many variables and different meanings to the results.

It's far too of an ambiguous concept to measure accurately.

I wouldn't say 'too British' as there are talented players both here and abroad. I would say that if you think about the amount of people in the world who play professional football and then think about us securing players from Britain only then we're effectively ignoring the majority of professional footballers who can play at our level who we can afford.

That's always seemed very strange to me. I know there's cost implications in scouting players from abroad but maybe that extra bit of cost in casting the net further would be worth it in the long run.

All the best teams are foreign..

The only side in the past 25 years that were any good (and British) were the Man Utd side that had Becks, Scholes, Giggs, Keane etc..

Even still they relied on the likes of Cantona, Schemiechel, Stam etc.. And they were only good for about 4 years.. Since then the foreign players have carried them..

As for Derby County.. Our best players were foreign.. The only decent British players were the likes of Chris Powell, Dean Strurridge and Lee Carsley.. We lack foreign players..

Foreign players adds excitement to the game.. I'd hate for us to do a Sunderland or Stoke and fill our team with British players should we make the PL.. They're both the most boring clubs I've had the displeasure of watching for many years

The early 70's British Derby team weren't bad though eh?

Some changes may be forever not for better 

Good work Oxram. From what I saw, the chances of being in the bottom half of the NPC greatly increases the less foriengners you have

I have to say the most enjoyment and the best Derby team I have seen under NC is when Kuqi and Bueno were involved.

If Scotland get what they want Coutts and Bryson can be classed as foreigners, also Freeman plays for Wales and they speak all weird like foreigners so stick him down with Roberts and we have our 6. Ei Ei Ei O

Robinson? Is he foreign now? Is that why Clough has loaned him out? :o

To my amazement,I've seen little evidence of 'Godwin's Law' manifesting itself on here.

Does mentioning Godwin's Law effectively un-Godwin a potentially Godwinable thread?

Perhaps if we ever sign a player from Karlsruhe - or even better, entering into a club 'twinning' arrangement with them - that would be Clough's equivalent of us annexing the Sudetenland?

Archived