Are Derby County too British to win the league?

Oxram

Sorry but I got curious to see what the correlation actually was comparing league position and the number of foreign players. As Ive done it I thought I might as well post it in case anyone else want to see. All data is taken from previous posts in the Killie topic (curb, Ramarena).

"http://i45.tinypic.com/21otvt3" alt="21otvt3">

As the relegated teams have multiple factors hindering their league position Ive taken them out to see the effect of foreign players in a 'well planned' team rather than throwing money abroad in a relegation fight.
"http://i50.tinypic.com/256td06" alt="256td06">

Following that trend down to two foreign players (Doyle and Gjokaj) derby are expected to finish around 32nd :ph34r:

It is interesting to see that in the top nine all nine teams have six or more foreign players while in the bottom half only two teams, Wednesday and Blackpool, have more than six.

I feel it shows Derby are actually doing well, finding good talent within our budget considering how small an area we cast our net.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you need to know how many foreign players actually play? No point naming a foreigner that has no influence in the team?

And some players are "foreign" players are actually schooled in British football. Marlon King? Is he foreign (Jamaican?) but he's very much a Brit in football.

It's interesting though.

If Scotland get what they want Coutts and Bryson can be classed as foreigners, also Freeman plays for Wales and they speak all weird like foreigners so stick him down with Roberts and we have our 6. Ei Ei Ei O

Don't you need to know how many foreign players actually play? No point naming a foreigner that has no influence in the team?

And some players are "foreign" players are actually schooled in British football. Marlon King? Is he foreign (Jamaican?) but he's very much a Brit in football.

It's interesting though.

For a proper analysis on the influence of foreign players, yes.

You could find the average number of foreign players fielded per game but that would take research I'm not going to do and would more than likely follow a close trend to the simplification but yeah there are errors like that.

For a proper analysis on the influence of foreign players, yes.

You could find the average number of foreign players fielded per game but that would take research I'm not going to do and would more than likely follow a close trend to the simplification but yeah there are errors like that.

I was going to say the same thing, if you discount our two 'foreigners' as not playing enough games to have an influence on the season, then our position looks even more skewed.

Obviously you'd have to do the same with every team in the league to be consistent.

I was going to say the same thing, if you discount our two 'foreigners' as not playing enough games to have an influence on the season, then our position looks even more skewed.

Obviously you'd have to do the same with every team in the league to be consistent.

I just used the data you posted, I don't know what your criteria was in determining the numbers but if you discount players that rarely play or even find the average number of players fielded per game then feel free to post the comparison.

There certainly seems to be a correlation between number of foreign players and league position. Foreign players certainly do have a bit more quality in the final third compared to British players in my opinion. 

If I was a manager, I'd have two foreign players either in midfield or upfront, to help create chances. 

I just used the data you posted, I don't know what your criteria was in determining the numbers but if you discount players that rarely play or even find the average number of players fielded per game then feel free to post the comparison.

As I said when I put the numbers up, it was simply taken from wikipedia, the first team squads of each team.

Its not important whether players are foreign or not. John Harkes was foreign ffs.

Its the skilled, technically gifted players that make the difference. Robbie Van der Laan was a great player but he was a workhorse and a leader rather than a Messi.

Kris Commons would do for me right now.

Archived