Sam Rush and Flagman trying too hard?

you-rams

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem in seasons since we were last loud what have we had to get excited about? F*rest and Lids at home are always the best atmosphere regardless of how we're doing in the league.

Give us some promise and a top six push, hopes will he raised, gates up AND! a better atmosphere.

I agree we should always try our best to get behind the team but the last 3-4 seasons have left many either not renewing or despondent.

I dunno mate.

We've had our purple patches in the early season a few times. I think (although my memory isn't good that we were actually flying pretty high in late November once(?) and there was still no atmosphere.

Forest and Leeds were very poor last year. Forest was terrible. No matter how promising we can look (until Christmas) nobody seems to be alive.

Our goals are celebrated by polite applause but people can't wait to moan.

The reason in my opinion for all this is because Pride Park has got too cushy. There's little cliques. People are settled into their ways.

5-0 over Palace

5-1 over Watford

Bueno, Commons, Cywka and Green tearing teams up

You mostly can hear just a drone of conversation.

Yet Bolton score from a free kick when it's their first time in our half

Hull (best away record and 2nd) come to PP, we have 3 good chances they have 2 and we lose 2-1(0?) and it's suddenly boos ringing out. I mean have they not sat and watched us control the whole game?

Sheffield Wednesday - polite applause for our goals made less noise than the outrage for their goals.

People are set in their ways. If we storm the early part of the season I bet the atmosphere is still poor.

The only time that dump of a ground will make any real positive noise are

v Forest (although not if last year is anything to go by)

If we're top in April (sing when you're winning?)

When getting battered and no hope of winning (oddly enough I admire this defiance)

People say its like this everywhere.... It kind of is. But I don't want us to imitate the rest of the league. I want us to stand apart. The BBG was memorable to visiting fans too. It was one of the noisy grounds.

I don't see why we should accept silence just because Reading do or Burnley do etc.

I still celebrate every goal like a madman. It's that mad release that as a fan in the stands you live for.

But I won't be visiting PP much next season. I'll try to follow the Rams away more and more. I find it very depressing at 'home'. Win/lose/draw I want to create something but the majority don't care. They care about the Spurs v Arsenal score.

bored of hearing you calling PP a dump. Do you ever go away from home?! Makes PP look like the Taj Mahal. Not only that, but it's just the way it is. Go anywhere and away fans outsing home fans. It's just what happens when anyone takes any half decent numbers away.

bored of hearing you calling PP a dump. Do you ever go away from home?! Makes PP look like the Taj Mahal. Not only that, but it's just the way it is. Go anywhere and away fans outsing home fans. It's just what happens when anyone takes any half decent numbers away.

Yeah I go away whenever I can. And I think there are a number if grounds better than Pride Park.

What do you mean Taj Mahal? Are you talking about appearance? I guess you prefer these modern lego clones? I prefer the rough grounds. I think the proper dumps are a traditional football beauty. But I'm not really talking about appearance anyway.

While most grounds are as quiet as Pride Park there are some that aren't. There are a good number that aren't so eager to moan and boo. But besides all that why are we comparing ourselves to other grounds? Why not compare ourselves to something good? Like Beşiktaş 30,000 stadium? Or stoke? Or many of the PL sides who's home atmospheres remain strong.

I don't care if we have a similar atmosphere to Reading. We aren't Reading.

Palace have done something about it. People mock them sometimes for the miniature Ultra group they have behind that goal but let's be honest it's miles better than the East corner. I don't want us to be like them but those lads seem to be having more fun than us.

Alpha - you are absolutely 'spot on' (IMO). I would think that there are more people that agree with you than disagree ...

For what it's worth the best match I have been to in the past two seasons was the play-off semi-final between Sarfend and Crewe - and 'not' because Roots Hall makes the Taj Mahal look like a 'garden shed' ...

... far from it - asbestos-covered stand with rubbish seating and poor facilities - BUT there was an 'atmosphere'!

Arrived at ground about 30 mins before kick-off, and could hear the two sets of fans chanting welcoming verses to each other, which carried on right up 'til after the game finished. The away fans had been positioned in the 'prime' corner position (not), and the home fans moved from the side of the ground to behind the goal - right next to the away supporters.

Safe-standing can only help to improve the atmosphere at PP, and help to get younger supporters along at cheaper prices. You may not agree, but just imagine turning up at PP 30 mins before kick-off with fans already standing on the trerraces 'welcoming' their opponents for the day. What a lift for the players while they are warming up!

Nick - please keep trying to do what you (and I believe many others, including Nigel) believe to be the right thing, you are doin' a great job.

I'm sure Nick won't give up. His ultimate objective is a safe standing South Stand? A 'kop' for lack of a better description.

If he achieves it how many people will want to go back to this? A small number? I'm sure there will still be a place in the ground for those. Those who simply want to spectate.

The atmosphere used to be better in the old days mainly due to terracing:

1. Getting in early to get a decent view.
  2. Arriving with your mates or pushing your way through to your mates on the terrace. (Banter).
  3. No loud music drowning out conversation & chanting.

If we can't get back to terracing, which seems to be the case, I would be in favour of unreserved seating so groups of mates could gather together. Also as I have said before the view anywhere in PP is good so why not have a flat rate all around the ground and a pay on the gate system? Make going to a game simple & easy.

All the usual reasons for poor atmosphere are relevant at PP but Alpha has hit on maybe one that's unique to us.

Some fans don't want to celebrate a goal like a lunatic in case they don't look cool or they think it will only "encourage the yanks and  Clough".

But apart from those sad *****, The Scarlet Pimpernel's post has nailed it for me!

Main reason they'd never go back to that is because it's very difficult to steward. I.e. they have to may sure no one in aisles, people have their seat and are sitting in it. Just a nightmare from a legislation point of view.

i do not argee on unserved seating not fair on season ticket holders we have paid all that money so they can have there seat, and another why should people get in cheaper pay on the gate. i am sorry but that is not right, i have no probleams with it on cup games because we also have to pay.

i do not argee on unserved seating not fair on season ticket holders we have paid all that money so they can have there seat, and another why should people get in cheaper pay on the gate. i am sorry but that is not right, i have no probleams with it on cup games because we also have to pay.

you could have an unreserved seating area for season ticket holders that don't mind exactly where they sit.

If you start a decent club anthem then all your work would have been complete.

Someone need to tell the lad with the drum it's ****, I didnt used to mind it but now I've realised it's b*llocks.

As always, fair play for the effort. 

I tried that a while back. Got nowhere. It'll be back next season. He's purchased a new drum I think as well.

I think Leeds summed it up well "what the fooookin hell is that?"

For me, the atmosphere has to build. The problem is that any chance of that is strangled by the club's constant attempts at 'creating' atmosphere.

Remove the music at the start, for goal celebrations and at the end. I'm sick of hearing that "I feel good" every time we win. It is all forced and not organic, therefore it kills any chance of a real atmosphere being built.

Why are people convinced that terraces will bring back atmosphere? I've had a season ticket for over 20 years now and we've not had terracing in all that time... yet we've had plenty of games with good atmosphere...

If it was the fault of the ground/seating then logically there would NEVER be any games with a good atmosphere, yet I remember plenty... So actually it's the fault of the fans more than anything...

There's a book I'm reading at the moment (a few years old) called "The Beautiful Game: In Search for the soul of Football"... It points out that prices for tickets are being driven up because clubs are desperately trying to keep up with players wages... This means less people can afford tickets and those who can tend to be older... And older fans TEND to be quieter... (before some of you kick off I'm not saying ALL older fans are quiet)

Partly that but by very nature of nostalgia, you remember the terraces of old and the fantastic atmosphere... And forget the equally terrible games with no atmosphere.

I also think the success in Germany has something to do with it.

Why not compare ourselves to something good? Like Beşiktaş 30,000 stadium? Or stoke? Or many of the PL sides who's home atmospheres remain strong.

Short memory? Ever been to Stoke when for years they pottered about the Championship? You'd hear nothing out of them ALL match.

PP was quite noisy when we were relegated as the PL's biggest ever embarrassment, let alone when we had some brief success during the Smith days (similar to Stoke incidentally).

We're no worse or better than any other fans. We've done nothing for 3-4 years in the second tier, what do people expect? PP would be louder if we were challenging for the title in League 1, its all relative, its been very "meh" the last few years and that describes the atmosphere.

People are deluded if they think the Baseball Ground would be any louder in the exact same circumstances. Time to take the rose tinted spectacles of.

Archived