Sam Rush and Flagman trying too hard?

you-rams

The atmosphere hasn't be much cop since the Smith days in the Prem.

Remember the "bald eagles Barmy army" chant echoing around the stadium and also "he's fat he's round he's taking forest down Atkinson..." was great back then.

I don't know what will make a good atmosphere to be honest. Alot of the people in east stand Friday were pensioners and didn't seem bothered in the slightest.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you push forward the 'repeat the surname after the tannoy' that the Italians and Germans do when they score a goal..

Goalscorer for Bayern Munchen number 7..

Franck RIBERY

Franck RIBERY

Frrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraanck RIBERY

It sounds feckin awesome.. Better than the usual 'And the goalscorer for DCFC Jamie Ward followed by a girly YEYYYYYY and a few claps

I can't stand that.. sorry.

Palace do the same and I just cringe.

I would just like "Goal scorer for The Rams, number 10, JAMIE WAAAARD" (No music) and be done with it.  :lol:

I've moved to E block, I sing.

Dave

Yes but "The Wheels On The Bus" doesn't count, oh, and if you see Fletcher and Godber in 'E' Block please give them my kind regards.

In general, the music played is garbage, most of the PA announcements are hard to comprehend and some of the 'entertainment' [pre-match and half-time] is pathetic, Rammy impersonating a 5 year old impersonating a Spitfire is the pits and who gives a flying **** about who is 'presenting the match ball'?

Christ knows who dreamt up this DNA rubbish and I dread to think how much it cost, personally I would have preferred  the amount spent on it to have gone towards a half decent forward, well as a deposit anyway.

For those who are not inclined to move to South Stand Block E why not move to the West Stand Upper with the rest of us miserable old gits?

;) 

Pride Park is a total embarrasment to be honest.

There's no buzz about the place.  I've been 3 times this season (Tranmere, Forest and Bolton) and it's just a horrible experience.  You have to walk from town to the barren, generic industrial park on which it is based, knowing that when you get there you'll be greeted by a Starbucks, a thousand adverts and the moron with the microphone interrupting the ear splitting P.A system every 2 minutes asking the fans to "give us a wave".  Worse still the grown men and women the camera picks out for their moment of glory on the big screen lap it up. 

Then there's the choice of music - you're not going to please everyone here, but at present I doubt it's pleasing anyone.  In an ideal world it would be discarded altogether, however a compromise of no teenage girl pleasing x-factor rubbish would suffice as a start.  And please, please, please do away with the goal celebration music, it is the single worst thing about the "modern football experience", and makes us look even more tinpot than the 40 year old men who ask Nigel to "give them a wave" every 10 minutes.

I'm not even going to start on DNA, Rammie's pre-game antics, the various dance troupes who get their 4 minutes of fame at half time, the 8 year old kids announcing the team, Dale Cavese and the substitutions sponsored by ETS tyre sales LTD.

Lower the ticket prices, make them easier to buy (can we please have pay on the gate back in certain areas?), unreserved seating (standing) drop the gimmicks and encourage a lively, positive backing of the team (i.e no mini-Hitler stewards asking the only moderately noisy part of the ground to sit down every 15 minutes).

I'm not asking for the BBG circa 1973, just a place where when John Brayford surges forward, the whole crowd gives a "Go'arn" (seriously when was the last time this happened?  Giles Barnes run and shot against Cardiff in 2007 probably), where there's no stupid chants with no words (DERBY! DERBY! DERBY! or We are Derby or Come on you Raaaams will do) and where at 4:50 on a Saturday or whenever the game's played I go home with no voice for the first time in 3 years.  Might make me look forward to the games I go to rather than dread the embarrassment that awaits.

Ta'.

In defence of the bloke with the microphone, I know him and he's a top bloke. Everything he does and says is tightly scripted, time controlled and ordered by the owners, so it's not his fault. Given the shambolic nature of how it appears, everything that goes on pre-match and at half time is incredibly tightly organised. It's how they like to do it in America. Including FanCam. (or FFSCam as it should be called).

This has been coming for years. It's not a Derby thing it's a football in general thing. Back in the late 80's the british government wanted to rid this countrys bad image of having football hooligans. Slowly over the past 20 years clubs have been encouraged to have someone run round the pitch with a spounge head on. Go into schools and get the children at ayoung age to engage with the club. Yes it is all jizzy jazzy ****** now but not by chance. It's been coming over a period of time. Long gone is your traditional football supporter. A new breed of fan has been formed thanks to the people running the country the sport and the clubs.

To be honest I guess it all depends what kind of supporter you are...

I never went to games for the atmosphere.. If there was one, great, if there wasn't one, great.. It was the same for me..

I happily sat near the top trying to enjoy a game of football whilst telling my Dad where things could be improved or what they could do differently etc.

When I had a ST 5 years ago it was pretty quiet then.. Have things really changed that much?

I can see where you're coming from Alpha.. But it all depends on who is complaining.. If there are guys on here moaning about the atmosphere or let's the poor atmosphere affect them then they really should do something about it.. Like me, I don't care if it's rocking or if it is a library.. Like I mentioned, I just watch the football (Although I love how vocal German and Italian supporters are) I don't love it that much that I would start campaigning for it..

I just feel sorry for the guys who genuinely grew up on the terraces of the BBG and witnessed the fantastic atmosphere and got used to it.. All I've ever known is a quiet PP atmosphere so I can't complain or say that I miss something that I never had..

Mate I get you. I know some people are there to watch. I know plenty of people who have done their days on terraces and are now quite content to sit with a hot chocolate and enjoy these softer days. I know there are football purists who concentrate on every movement of the game. That's fine.

But how many thousands look forward to the atmosphere v Forest and Leeds? Not the match. The matches with Forest are terrible especially. Petty and nervous affairs where nobody takes risks on the ball. There's nothing in the match to enjoy. It's in the stands. That's what people get a buzz for. Why can't we take a piece of that and apply it to every game. Ok, so Forest will probably be miles ahead, but just bring a piece that pride and passion to every game. It's as if we hate Forest more than we love Derby.

The majority love an atmosphere. Yet do nothing to build it.

They're as quiet as you Bris with your bloody sandwiches and notepad! 'Sup with them?

Guess I should be honored to have a thread under my name!  :lol:

Listen Alpha you have hit the nail on the head their pal, you really have! Fully agree with your comments.

I must admit even I am losing the will to live with it all. Maybe I am spending too much time on it all and a tweet made me laugh on saturday night! Was out on the lash as you do and ended up talking to a fan in the toilets for about 30 minutes South Stand related. Anyways another Derby fan heard this and tweeted me saying you'd expect to hear it at PPS not Walkabout toilet! Made me chuckle! Its always on my mind is what I am saying.

Palace fans are I guess are a good example with their ultra setup. Not that we should ever go down that route but the reason they got it all sorted for the better was because they admitted their fans were ****. Maybe we should do the same I dont know.

Safe Standing that the club support is round the corner, maybe 3 years away before it will be allowed. Will this improve the atmosphere, yes it will but its not happening anytime soon. I have another visit to Germany end of season for some more promotional work, after my trip to Hannover very much looking forward to it! Flag will be there of course!!  :p

To be fair to the club they have tried to improve the atmosphere. We have the South Stand open for next season. I have had many conversations with Sam and phone calls and yes I was disappointed about the away fans not being housed in the SE Corner next season but I have Sam's word, under his regime now, that this will be seriously looked into for season 14-15. Regardless of what the club do though its not down to them to sort, its up to us fans. 

I really dont know what to say that I haven't said already on other threads. I have an area for next season in the South Stand Block E where my name has to be quoted to be in this area, this is to avoid any fans moving to this little area for cheaper ST prices. If you want to make a difference move your ticket to here. Simple as that. Just want to continue to discuss and not do anything about it then that's your choice!

In my honest opinion the sooner the SE Corner is broken up the better. Pride Park needs a fresh approach. Will be interesting to see next season how the SE Corner take to the South Stand. I imagine it will be political like it is now.

I do actually think next season will be good for atmosphere. Just bear in mind South Stand Block E is right next to the away fans so exchanging of songs will be more than ever. We will have no choice but to sing.

My final comment will be a thumbs up to Nigel Clough. He is very interested in the atmosphere at Derby. I mean come on, what other football manager will sit down with a fan and discuss ideas about how to improve things, get the best out of players etc

Lets see how we get on next season.

And remember South Stand Block E  ;) (an area where like minded individuals will be) 

Nick

Have to say, the day you give up then I really won't bother. It's cheaper to get Ramsplayer and follow The Rams through the media.

I think I'll give the SSBE a go. I really want Derby to bring back a small taster of the BBG. It really is a terrible reply to the Baseball Ground. There's a lot of work to be done by the club and by fellas like you who don't just stand by. It just everybody seems resigned to their own misery and it makes going to watch Derby a chore.

Indeed Pride Park is really poor upgrade from the BBG, i don't understand why on the insistence on blasting music right upto the kick off drives me insane (not that anyone notices any difference in me :wacko: ) and just makes a mockery of the match experience..look when i turn up for a football match i come to experience football not ******* ***** music if you want that crap get MTV and be done with it. Looking forward to next season as i'm going to the South Stand :D

Some great comments on this thread.

Eight of us have moved to block E, I am confident it will be much improved.

We have shown it can be done at away games, fans need to come with the same attitude. We are representing our city, and no matter how **** the team are on the pitch we can still come out of it with credit.

I, for one, am really looking forward to it and appreciate what Nick is doing. Keep it up mate, there are a lot of people who appreciate your efforts who don't even post very often (like me!).

Is there anybody who lives in the Manchester area that wants to try this out next season? First time I've been able to afford a season ticket in years and I live up here now!

Get in touch!

Hope you find a way fella!

The atmosphere can still be decent, can anyone remember the Pompey night home game when Kuqi was upfront with Commons/Bueno/Cywka behind him? The football was great, and so was the atmosphere. The place was as loud as i've heard it, I remember remarking that it must've been a very small taste of what the BBG was like, we were playing some great stuff and everytime we went forward the noise went up. Very few times has that atmosphere been replicated when i've been there. The first Forest home game after the Prem debacle (I presume because we'd gone a season without meeting them), the United game when Commons scored, the games are too few and far between.

This goes for most clubs though, particularly English sides. You ask United fans whether Old Trafford isz rocking during a home game against Wigan, or if Burton's ground is going mad during a game against Aldershot? The atmosphere at some foreign grounds is rocking because they've got a system of generating the atmosphere themselves that has been accepted, such as the names being read out after goals and the crowd finishing the names (Which Arsenal have taken up and started testing, I believe).

There's also the point that many of those foreign clubs are hugely successful, and used to winning. That no doubt helps an atmosphere, when you play good football and you're used to being top dogs in a country. There are few sides in the world that have crap atmosphere when they're doing well.

Good luck to Nick in what he's doing, and the club seem mostly supportive in what's going on, but for the atmosphere to really improve, the side has to be doing better than it is. I have yet to see a clubs stadium rocking when they're not challenging for anything. We shouldn't have to rely on winning a game for the atmosphere to do well either, but it doesn't half help when the side's on the up, or atleast having a real go at it.

The atmosphere can still be decent, can anyone remember the Pompey night home game when Kuqi was upfront with Commons/Bueno/Cywka behind him? The football was great, and so was the atmosphere. The place was as loud as i've heard it, I remember remarking that it must've been a very small taste of what the BBG was like, we were playing some great stuff and everytime we went forward the noise went up. Very few times has that atmosphere been replicated when i've been there. The first Forest home game after the Prem debacle (I presume because we'd gone a season without meeting them), the United game when Commons scored, the games are too few and far between.

This goes for most clubs though, particularly English sides. You ask United fans whether Old Trafford isz rocking during a home game against Wigan, or if Burton's ground is going mad during a game against Aldershot? The atmosphere at some foreign grounds is rocking because they've got a system of generating the atmosphere themselves that has been accepted, such as the names being read out after goals and the crowd finishing the names (Which Arsenal have taken up and started testing, I believe).

There's also the point that many of those foreign clubs are hugely successful, and used to winning. That no doubt helps an atmosphere, when you play good football and you're used to being top dogs in a country. There are few sides in the world that have crap atmosphere when they're doing well.

Good luck to Nick in what he's doing, and the club seem mostly supportive in what's going on, but for the atmosphere to really improve, the side has to be doing better than it is. I have yet to see a clubs stadium rocking when they're not challenging for anything. We shouldn't have to rely on winning a game for the atmosphere to do well either, but it doesn't half help when the side's on the up, or atleast having a real go at it.

A rarity, I was at that game in the cheap ticket area of the south stand. Was a decent atmosphere because Derby were so fluent in attack. The fans in the south stand were up for it as well, even if they were cheapo ticket buyers.

I've seen it better at PP in the early days of its life. Although, when Derby only had 12000+ at the BBG in the second tier, it was much better than it is now.

One of the (many) problems is that there are so many empty seats and gaps between the fans. If they're not going to sell the tickets they may as well condense the seating area. Block off the first three rows at the front and the top few at the back. Something like that.

Pride Park is awful. It's grubby and old and it has no sense of "home". There's been hardly anything to cheer about in the fifteen or so years that we've been there. We have no memories with the exception of a few good nights. It's a shame but this is how modern football is now and it's why a good percentage can't stand it.

I disagree about having something to cheer about.

For me.

Being Derby County should be enough to cheer about.

Some great comments on this thread and we all seem to have similar views on the subject.

Got a tweet yesterday that another 22 have moved over to South Stand Block D. Looked at the sales for Block E a couple of days ago and they were going very well.

I will at some point drop all these suggestions down and present to the club.

Nick

It has to go back to basics, less of the plasticated crap, less of the "fan cam", less of the goal music, less of the Rammie running round like a tit......but as some people have said, if theres naff all to cheer about then the atmosphere will be crap.

We're losing fans hand over fist, and part of that is because of the clubs apparant lack of ambition....name players put bums on seats.

Personally i renewed me season ticket weeks ago, E block row X here i come!

Archived