Watford v Derby County

CumbrianRam

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watford fan here, evidently.

Thought whilst we should have taken some more chances in the first half, towards the end I was on the edge of my seat because we were under constant pressure. You did indeed look a far better team when Sammon came off. From what I've seen of him both at Wigan and this season he looks appalling to be honest. Whilst he seems a willing worker, he has no particularly ability on the ball, and him going off was a major turning point, along with the penalty of course. I didn't see the penalty incident as I was looking at the ball, so if anyone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated.

Also, what are your opinions regarding the loan situation at Watford? We had 8 loanees in the starting XI, granted, but we are planning to sign the majority of them permanently, and our bench was made up entirely of Watford players (including Forestieri who we signed permanently in January on a 5 and a half year deal). Just wanted to know what your take on it is. Mine is that we're not breaking any rules, so I don't accept any of this 'we're not on a level playing field' nonsense, as anybody in the Football League can do exactly the same as us should they wish to, and therefore there's nothing wrong with it.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the season and if you could beat Palace on Friday then Cardiff on Tuesday, that would be much appreciated!

Watford fan here, evidently.

Thought whilst we should have taken some more chances in the first half, towards the end I was on the edge of my seat because we were under constant pressure. You did indeed look a far better team when Sammon came off. From what I've seen of him both at Wigan and this season he looks appalling to be honest. Whilst he seems a willing worker, he has no particularly ability on the ball, and him going off was a major turning point, along with the penalty of course. I didn't see the penalty incident as I was looking at the ball, so if anyone could enlighten me that would be much appreciated.

Also, what are your opinions regarding the loan situation at Watford? We had 8 loanees in the starting XI, granted, but we are planning to sign the majority of them permanently, and our bench was made up entirely of Watford players (including Forestieri who we signed permanently in January on a 5 and a half year deal). Just wanted to know what your take on it is. Mine is that we're not breaking any rules, so I don't accept any of this 'we're not on a level playing field' nonsense, as anybody in the Football League can do exactly the same as us should they wish to, and therefore there's nothing wrong with it.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the season and if you could beat Palace on Friday then Cardiff on Tuesday, that would be much appreciated!

i think its a case of you don't like it unless its your team. for example people didnt want city to win the league because they wouldve bought it, you wouldnt say the same if it was your team.

its a good loophole youve found and its paid off so i cant complain.

i think its a case of you don't like it unless its your team. for example people didnt want city to win the league because they wouldve bought it, you wouldnt say the same if it was your team.

its a good loophole youve found and its paid off so i cant complain.

Fair enough, I just dislike people who seem to think that we're ruining English football. There are worse offenders in this league alone, such as Leicester and Cardiff who spend millions on players and rack up loads of debt. I think that's far worse than not spending a penny and being successful? Anyway, not my concern, as long as we're not breaking any rules I can deal with jealousy from other fans (not you specifically).

Disappointing first half, combination of our standard away performance (playing for a point) and a very slick Watford side. Could have been 4-0 by the time Vydra slotted his goal in. Saying that Jacobs had a good opportunity but like most of our players, didnt have the balls to have a shot.

Nice to see some changes at half time, quite a contrast to the first half performance. Controlled the game, had all the possession (hardly did anything with it) and looked generally tidy.

Lacked that killer ball and our midfield 2 were pretty poor today. Could have nicked a point in the end, Ward only just missed a tap in.

Sammon was poo and got quite alot of stick, Bennett looked very good after replacing him.

Thought Martin looked good, a striker who makes himself available, coming short constantly to recieve the ball. (first touch and control a solid 7/10, we're ok with this one Derby fans)

Brayford at RB gave us another option going forward, missed him.

Ward was crap and disinterested in the main yet gets himself another goal and looks our only goalscoring outlet.

Hendrick and Bryson need to be better. It's alright having a good game against mid table Leeds but they need to do more away from home. In all honesty I wouldn't mind another CM with abit of pedigree, those 2 are a big downfall of ours away from home.

People keep banging on about getting Keogh a good partner but is he really that good himself? Poor again today, gave Vydra acres of space to slot home for the first and it wouldn't surprise me if it was his man scoring from the corner again. I'm not confident at all.

Nice to see Nige have a go at half time but that should have been his initial thoughts. We can't defend so why try to?!

So frustrating, only an hour until we hit Derby now though.

The joys of watching DCFC away! You Rams!

Agree with everything mate

Sammon shouldn't be played again. He was simply awful.

We looked more threatening with Ward, Martin and Bennett and it felt like a 4-3-3 in the second half rather than anything else. No cutting edge though, players scared to shoot and still not enough forward runners. The one time we had a forward runner we carved them open and Ward should have scored the equaliser.

It's pretty depressing stuff at the moment though and in my opinion we got what we deserved. (same as Hull away).

"No mate Sammon isn't out of form at all.What you see with us is him at his best,he really is that bad.He is a plank

we paid 1.2million which is 1 million too much.Now you know why the board wont trust Clough with loads of money

up front he would waste it. "

1. How do you know its 1.2million. Other reports said 600k.

2. Opposition fans often rate Sammon much higher than we do, with several Sheff Wed fans rating Ward & Sammon the best partnership they've faced all season !!

Aren't they in the premier league where the standard is a tad higher,also they only got up there

last season when we had the same opportunity didn.t we?sorry don't want to spoil you and the managers

love in.

division has no bearing on a manager keeping his job after a poor run.

Harrys spent the money - but he cant get the results. Great manager

Our squad isn't strong enough to cope with the level of injuries we have. I include in that players having to play when they're not fit.

Why some Derby fans lay the blame at Clough's door I'll never know. Every club has fans who would select different players, formations and substitutions. But nobody who knows about football can honestly say Clough has done a bad job at Derby with the resources he's had at his disposal.

Speaking of which, where's the money from commercial activities GSE were meant to be so good at generating? Reading the DET this week all our revenues are still shrinking!

I avoid these threads like the plague after a loss, but thought I'd venture to try and give an opinion on the overview of the situation.

I think it'd be a good idea to lock this thread after a game, and open it the next day because some people really run away with an opinion, and get caught up and basically making everything out of nothing. I didn't go to the game, but, as everyone else said - these are a decent side, with some players obviously playing below their level like vydra...etc we can't do anything about that, and as much as I dislike people kicking off and pretending we should be able to batter every team, and it's all Clough and Sammons fault when we don't gets a little tedious and relentless.

All I will say for Derby, is just make sure we do everything correct on our part, like when we have the ball - make the right decisions, which for me is a major reason we are mid-table, we don't make good decisions in key areas, at key moments in games. This is what I would put down to lack of experience, and in the past month or so, it seems to be showing more and more. I am getting really disappointed with the corners/crossing situation, this isn't individual error either, this is a collective group of errors by the defence/management... we really need to work on this, just basic organisation and players doing their job.

Overall, I don't think we can be upset with the players or management - I think they're really giving their best, Clough is getting the best out of pretty average/learning players and the players are striving hard, in this instance its been an improvement. I just think we need 3/4 players to come in, preferably with experience and give us that extra bit of intelligence/leadership on the pitch and, the important bit - that extra bit of quality. I don't know/think this is possible, we will find out in the summer - but that is in my opinion what we need, not for Clough to be sacked, nor Sammon to very play for us again which are absurdly ridiculous comments, but to add to their qualities and make their life easier, if we can do this.. we will give ourselves a good chance next season, this season we were too under-prepared and as nice as it was looking at the play-offs we're just not at that level yet, and us over-performing probably brought a couple of fans to thinking otherwise.

Our squad isn't strong enough to cope with the level of injuries we have. I include in that players having to play when they're not fit.

Why some Derby fans lay the blame at Clough's door I'll never know. Every club has fans who would select different players, formations and substitutions. But nobody who knows about football can honestly say Clough has done a bad job at Derby with the resources he's had at his disposal.

Speaking of which, where's the money from commercial activities GSE were meant to be so good at generating? Reading the DET this week all our revenues are still shrinking!

Really?

I'm pretty much on the fence when it comes to Clough. At times he has had us playing football which has been a pleasure to watch but on other occasions he makes ridiculous decisions and seems incapable of adapting to different situations.

You can blame the quality of players on the money situation but you can't blame the quality of the tactics used or substitutions on money.

Have a check because I can't believe it myself and I'm thinking I must have made a mistake. No manager in the English leagues would still be in the job after that record would they?

There's only one in the Championship who has currently survived longer in his job than Clough, and that's Kenny Jackett at Millwall.

His record over the last dozen games is even worse - would you expect him to be sacked too, because I wouldn't.

There's only one in the Championship who has currently survived longer in his job than Clough, and that's Kenny Jackett at Millwall.

His record over the last dozen games is even worse - would you expect him to be sacked too, because I wouldn't.

I never said i expect or want Clough to be sacked. Just pointing out that this season a lot of managers have come and gone. It's the current culture of football.

what are your opinions regarding the loan situation at Watford? We had 8 loanees in the starting XI,

Not begrudging watford their current success but.....

It can't be right can it?

Loophole or no loophole.

Archived