Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

we might not win with this one. if he plays well he could stay at norwich for another year. they have an option on him. hope they stay in prem and then buy to strengthen and let him come here. if he stinks, then i guess we lose nothing and we dont sign him.

Dunno, Norwich have a fair few strikers and I think the only play one up front plus the signings of becchio and the loan of kamara will put him further down the order even if he impresses.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he hasn't got a squad number this season, he ain't gonna have one next season either unless Norwich get relegated, which they're not going to do.

Given Nigel's comments about anyone we take on loan it will be with a view to a permanent, I'd be surprised if he wasn't here next season.

The only spanner might be that if he does well and Norwich know we want to sign him, they will exercise their right to give him and extra year, then slap on a transfer fee.

I think Norwich would be fools not too.

If he plays well and we want him then I would extend his contract and then ask us to buy it out.

Maybe they can come to an agreement so we pay a small fee for him even though he is on a free.

I would expect we would pay for the next loan deal after the first 28 day and then there would be an agreement that we sign him in when he becomes a bosman.

If he hasn't got a squad number this season, he ain't gonna have one next season either unless Norwich get relegated, which they're not going to do.

Given Nigel's comments about anyone we take on loan it will be with a view to a permanent, I'd be surprised if he wasn't here next season.

The only spanner might be that if he does well and Norwich know we want to sign him, they will exercise their right to give him and extra year, then slap on a transfer fee.

I'd be surprised if Sam Rush had not figured all of this out and found a solution before they agreed a loan deal that covers just this scenario.

That sort of approach, assuming

a. they aren't going to play him anyway

and

b. the player wants away

would be extremely foolish. You don't keep players against their will because they in all likelihood would be disruptive (not necessarily deliberately) - and any transfer fee received would in all likelihood be less than a year's wages anyway, therefore Norwich would have doubly shot themselves in the foot.

I think we can discount it - Football Manager tactics aren't real life.

That sort of approach, assuming

a. they aren't going to play him anyway

and

b. the player wants away

would be extremely foolish. You don't keep players against their will because they in all likelihood would be disruptive (not necessarily deliberately) - and any transfer fee received would in all likelihood be less than a year's wages anyway, therefore Norwich would have doubly shot themselves in the foot.

I think we can discount it - Football Manager tactics aren't real life.

Sadly Eddie, I'm (well) over 18, I have never played football manager in my life!

I'd be surprised if Sam Rush had not figured all of this out and found a solution before they agreed a loan deal that covers just this scenario.

I think you're right, and I hope you're right, you just never know, and as NSR just said, we did it with Steve Davies.

Sadly Eddie, I'm (well) over 18, I have never played football manager in my life!

You don't know what you're missing.

I'm 60 and play it all the time (second childhood, obviously)

He has only just got here hardly played yet.Why not at least wait until his loan period expires.If you need

convincing of this I dare you to scroll down to the Sammon transfer thread and read all the excitement

about he will lead our way not only to the play-offs but to the PL!its very funny.

He has only just got here hardly played yet.Why not at least wait until his loan period expires.If you need

convincing of this I dare you to scroll down to the Sammon transfer thread and read all the excitement

about he will lead our way not only to the play-offs but to the PL!its very funny.

People by their very nature are generally optimistic - especially when they have 'suffered' (if supporting a team that isn't doing as well as we think it should be can genuinely be described as 'suffering') a few years that Derby fans have. Glasses half-full are generally better than glasses that are half-empty. That's just how we are, or the sales of razor blades would be through the roof.

I feel like I can trust this guy with the ball. He knows how to handle it and he's clearly got a good footballing brain, as he can pick a pass and also seems to be good at drawing fouls in order to win free kicks (not an entirely decorous aspect of the game, but useful no doubt). Obviously I need to see him play several more games, but if he keeps playing as he has done so far and increases his sharpness/fitness I will certainly be pleased if he signs permanently in the summer.

I feel like I can trust this guy with the ball. He knows how to handle it and he's clearly got a good footballing brain, as he can pick a pass and also seems to be good at drawing fouls in order to win free kicks (not an entirely decorous aspect of the game, but useful no doubt). Obviously I need to see him play several more games, but if he keeps playing as he has done so far and increases his sharpness/fitness I will certainly be pleased if he signs permanently in the summer.

I hope you're right. If he's going to improve us, let's take him on.. Hopefully, the loyal "support" shown by some of our "fans" last night won't put him off wanting to come here.

I hope you're right. If he's going to improve us, let's take him on.. Hopefully, the loyal "support" shown by some of our "fans" last night won't put him off wanting to come here.

Sorry but looking at his goal record, I hope it does....he's had one good season for Norwich when they were in champ 1, apart from that its been dire... still I suppose it depends on if we are looking for a goal scorer or another Sammon..Sammons record also showed he was anything but a goal scorer prior to our signing him...we need to invest in a goal scorer, to turn good performances into points..The only way we can afford a second Sammon is if he is to be Sammons replacement...

Last loan period for Martin saw a huge haul of one goal in 12 games for Swindon in Champ 1, prior to that it was 7 goals in 27 games or something like that for Palace...anyway that my two penneth...its what ever floats your boat I suppose... :blink:

Sorry but looking at his goal record, I hope it does....he's had one good season for Norwich when they were in champ 1, apart from that its been dire... still I suppose it depends on if we are looking for a goal scorer or another Sammon..Sammons record also showed he was anything but a goal scorer prior to our signing him...we need to invest in a goal scorer, to turn good performances into points..The only way we can afford a second Sammon is if he is to be Sammons replacement...

Last loan period for Martin saw a huge haul of one goal in 12 games for Swindon in Champ 1, prior to that it was 7 goals in 27 games or something like that for Palace...anyway that my two penneth...its what ever floats your boat I suppose... :blink:

Can't argue with that. Just hoping that we catch another bargain. It would be nice not to have a begging bowl all the time.

I want to see more of him before I make my mind up. With the look of things we'll be offloading Tyson and Theo for definite so a freebie in Chris Martin (if he impresses) won't be a bad deal looking at the summer. If Sammon fails to improve I think Nige will look to improve on him anyway. I hope that should be! 

In defence of Martin, at Swindon he just come back from a long term injury and was only half fit according to the Norwich poster who come on to offer his opinion on the player. probably won't score too many goals for us but looks like he'll be able be the link up from midfield to attack.

Archived